Not allowed to order halves???

DesertTumbleweed402

Mar 11, 2008
Chicago
Hey all! I'm new here. I have been reading these pages for months now and decided to join. Anyway, I decided I would buy a box of halves today from a Fifth Third Bank outside of Chicago. The teller first told me that they were not allowed to order halves for me, then after my questioning she said she could only order one box for me, and that would be the only time. Just one box, and then no more after that; that is my limit. I know this bank uses Brinks, but I don't see how they would play into it. Any suggestions to help me out? Anyone else had a problem like this?

Upvote 0

Sheldius

Mar 15, 2007
Bronx, NY
Detector(s) used
Garrett Master Hunter CX Plus, Minelab E-trac, Bounty Hunter Pioneer 505
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Re: Bank Problem

If it was the head teller and/or manager, there is not much you can do. When they make up there mind about something like that, you just have to go with it and find a different bank. :'(

Happens quite often.

HH.

hit80s

Dec 31, 2007
Detector(s) used
ace 250
Re: Bank Problem

start and account there a bank that is willing to order in boxes is a asset

gold fish

Bronze Member
Sep 21, 2006
N.W.A.
Detector(s) used
Tesoro - Cortez Minelab SE
I would(did) remove my account and invest in a bank that is willing to work with it's customers. What amazes me is that there is a very good chance a lot of banks won't survive our bad economy, and yet they insist on being some of the worst customer service reps in any industry. We had a local bank go under already, due to loss of customers. I had tried to get halves there, and they lied to me and then got really REALLY itchy.......oops, forgot a letter. let 'em go under, it'll make other banks much more amenable to ordering halves.

OP
OP
DesertTumbleweed402

DesertTumbleweed402

Mar 11, 2008
Chicago
Even if I did decide to order the halves today, I would be willing to spend some in stores (I love people's reactions to them). What amazes me is that the government mints this stuff, wants us to use them in the economy, then when you cannot get your hands on them because of some banks, people wonder why you don't see them more often. What happens to the halves then? They collect dust in vaults for years and years.

Cat J

Dec 17, 2007
Kentucky
Detector(s) used
Whites DFX; Whites Sufe Master PI Pro
Fifth Third and Indepence banks will not order half dollars any more from what I can find out.

Old National, Regiions will for sure.

Good luck
Cat

solariscool

Dec 21, 2007
Starts some new accounts around town. Banks are hurting for business and the ones Ive spoken with are more than happy to order.

Southcacalaky

Silver Member
Oct 2, 2005
Summerville, South Carolina
Detector(s) used
Tesoro "Eldorado", Whites "Beach Hunter ID",
Try your credit unions, Also the banks with the coin sorting machines have to replace the bags after a certain count is reached usually a thousand dollars. Might be able to but the whole bag from them after it's full.

jewelerdave

Aug 29, 2007
Fort Collins, Colorado
Detector(s) used
I just follow my nose!...where the silver and gold goes!
Minelab 5000, Goldmaster, and a few others
XRF spectrometer, Common sense.
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
DesertTumbleweed402 said:
Even if I did decide to order the halves today, I would be willing to spend some in stores (I love people's reactions to them). What amazes me is that the government mints this stuff, wants us to use them in the economy, then when you cannot get your hands on them because of some banks, people wonder why you don't see them more often. What happens to the halves then? They collect dust in vaults for years and years.

I have been pondering the same thing, They want us to use the golden dollars but everyone complains about them, they dont push halves at all. and people wonder if they are real "half the time" lol

Every time I spend halves around I get the same old "wow I have not seen these in a long time" or they call over a manager to see if they can "take" them.

I advocate spending them as much as you can to dump for two reasons.

First, many will hoard them, keeping you from double searching.
second, many will be deposited at banks you can not dump at easily. For this reason you never know when a bag loaded with silver is just a few halves away from being sent in, rerolled and sent back too you in a box as they dont circulate much at all.

Part of the whole thing has to do with vending, what vending machines take halves? if they did, we would see them more...and find less silver.

Coinflation had a link that the last paragraph will have you laughing
http://www.americancoinop.com/article.cfm?articleID=17619

XX

Jan 11, 2008
I order a couple thousand a week from a 5/3 so 5/3 is indeed able to order halves. Take the box, ask for the ones out of the counter, wait a week, then try to ask for more.

One of the biggest reservations a teller has is that they are worried you will bring them back. No teller wants to be cross shipping bags of coins for just one customer.

maizeandblue

Tenderfoot
Nov 17, 2007
I have tried ordering halves, dimes and nickles from 5/3 and was told no by my local branch manager. She insisted she was the "vice president" and had more authority than the CEO making daily decisions. I just went to a diffrent branch and they were able to order them for me. Dont take no for an answer and if you need additional leverage go in on a busy friday and make a scene.

XX

Jan 11, 2008
maizeandblue said:
.... if you need additional leverage go in on a busy friday and make a scene.

You catch more flies with honey.

Rather, you are better off going in when there are no customers and ask what you can do to help them help you. Ask if opening another savings account for your kids would help (as 5/3 is a large bank and branches are rated heavily on sales). Opening an account has a positive boost on the branches numbers. Obviously you can't open a new account every month, but once they start ordering boxes, it's much easier to get them to keep ordering boxes as they will see that you are a good customer who is pleasant to work with.

Codes

Bronze Member
Feb 28, 2007
United States
Detector(s) used
White's M6
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
maizeandblue said:
Dont take no for an answer and if you need additional leverage go in on a busy friday and make a scene.

Sure, complain as much as you can. Maybe if non-business customers complain too much, banks will just stop ordering coins for non-business customers. Remember, banks are an asset for us. We must keep them happy all the time and not give them an excuse for a policy change, even if that means taking no for an answer every once in a while.

solariscool

Dec 21, 2007
TonyT said:
If they won't order, they could always become a dump bank for you.

Exactly. If they wont be nice and order coins for you, dump 1000s of half dollars on them...... weekly.

Hydrantman

Feb 4, 2008
Earth
5/3 charges 10 cents a roll! At least the ones I go to do.

Chase was ordering boxes for me on a weekly basis at no charge since Novenber or 2007. Then all of a sudden, last week they tell me that they are going to charge me. So I found another bank that doesn't charge and Chase just became my new dump. In fact, I walked in with a bag and one of the ladies said, "you promised you wouldn't bring those back here" to which I promptly replied, "you promised you wouldn't charge me!" Then today I bring in another bag and the teller said that their machine was jammed and wasn't working. I'm starting to get very pissed off at Chase. Or at least this particular branch.

OP
OP
DesertTumbleweed402

DesertTumbleweed402

Mar 11, 2008
Chicago
Hey Hydrantman - was 5/3 trying to charge you to purchase a roll of halves or count them? I ended up picking up two boxes of nickels from another one of their branches and they were giving me a hard time saying I could only have one, but eventually gave me two.

TT

Jan 15, 2008
Milky Way
It could have been how many boxes of nickels they had in the vault. They do not like to give out all of their coins because other businesses may need them as well.

I have found 5/3 to be awesome at getting coins once you work with them and establish a relationship.

They have sold me half dollar bags out of the counter...which is a big plus for finding silver halves.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread