Not allowed to order halves???

DesertTumbleweed402

Mar 11, 2008
Chicago
Hey all! I'm new here. I have been reading these pages for months now and decided to join. Anyway, I decided I would buy a box of halves today from a Fifth Third Bank outside of Chicago. The teller first told me that they were not allowed to order halves for me, then after my questioning she said she could only order one box for me, and that would be the only time. Just one box, and then no more after that; that is my limit. I know this bank uses Brinks, but I don't see how they would play into it. Any suggestions to help me out? Anyone else had a problem like this?

Upvote 0

Silver_Fox

Bronze Member
May 16, 2007
Good 'Ol USA /
Detector(s) used
Garrett Ace 250 of course

coinmojo

Bronze Member
Mar 18, 2008
Michigan
I too have been turned down by 5/3 but I formed a relationship with several other banks and have been getting lots of boxes of halves.

mojo

coinmojo

Bronze Member
Mar 18, 2008
Michigan
"Every time I spend halves around I get the same old "wow I have not seen these in a long time" or they call over a manager to see if they can "take" them.

I advocate spending them as much as you can to dump for two reasons.

First, many will hoard them, keeping you from double searching.
second, many will be deposited at banks you can not dump at easily. For this reason you never know when a bag loaded with silver is just a few halves away from being sent in, rerolled and sent back too you in a box as they dont circulate much at all."
:thumbsup:

Jewlwerdave

You got a great idea. I like your thinking. Especially the part about a bag of silver being just a few short of being sent in. LOL

Good thinking. Circulate as many as you can. :thumbsup: Hope that it wont develope a new CRH though :'(
CRH Mojo

blurr

Jun 7, 2006
Minnesota
Codes said:
maizeandblue said:
Dont take no for an answer and if you need additional leverage go in on a busy friday and make a scene.

Sure, complain as much as you can. Maybe if non-business customers complain too much, banks will just stop ordering coins for non-business customers. Remember, banks are an asset for us. We must keep them happy all the time and not give them an excuse for a policy change, even if that means taking no for an answer every once in a while.

Banks are businesses just like the grocery store or your auto mechanic. Banks service the financial accounts of its' clients. There is absolutely no reason to kneel down and kiss ass because you are scared they won't order coin any more. That is a pretty weak attitude. Try this instead; sit down with the person who you normally deal with when you take out a loan at the bank in question (or anyone you have a semi-relationship with). Be up front and tell them what you are doing. Give them specifics. ie... amount of coinage and frequency of pick ups and drop offs. If they have objections or are going to charge fees, this is when they should let you know. The worst thing that can happen is they tell you no. Big deal, go somewhere else. Personally I think this strategy would cut down on the bad experiences people have when trying to order large amounts of coinage from their local bank.

John

Immy

Silver Member
Mar 12, 2005
Vegas
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
blurr said:
Banks are businesses just like the grocery store or your auto mechanic. Banks service the financial accounts of its' clients. There is absolutely no reason to kneel down and kiss ass because you are scared they won't order coin any more. That is a pretty weak attitude. Try this instead; sit down with the person who you normally deal with when you take out a loan at the bank in question (or anyone you have a semi-relationship with). Be up front and tell them what you are doing. Give them specifics. ie... amount of coinage and frequency of pick ups and drop offs. If they have objections or are going to charge fees, this is when they should let you know. The worst thing that can happen is they tell you no. Big deal, go somewhere else. Personally I think this strategy would cut down on the bad experiences people have when trying to order large amounts of coinage from their local bank.

John

Sit-downs to hash out policies sounds like a good idea, but they ultimately mean nothing because people are encountering sudden, unannounced changes in these policies. My guess is they'll say anything to get a new customer, the ol' Bait & Switch.

blurr

Jun 7, 2006
Minnesota
Immy said:
blurr said:

John

Sit-downs to hash out policies sounds like a good idea, but they ultimately mean nothing because people are encountering sudden, unannounced changes in these policies. My guess is they'll say anything to get a new customer, the ol' Bait & Switch.

I'm talking about banks that people are already doing business with. As far as changing policies, there is little if anything a person can do about that. Like I said, if you aren't getting the service you expect, shop around somewhere else. Banks are in the business of making money, they are also interested in keeping customers. At least if you are up front and honest with the bank, you avoid most of the unpleasant problems that come with just expecting "things".

John

Immy

Silver Member
Mar 12, 2005
Vegas
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
blurr said:
Banks are in the business of making money, they are also interested in keeping customers. At least if you are up front and honest with the bank, you avoid most of the unpleasant problems that come with just expecting "things".

John

I've always considered banks a breed apart from regular businesses. Not every business can say their assets are covered by the goverment if they fail, so they have more incentive to offer better customer service and perks than a regular business.

blurr

Jun 7, 2006
Minnesota
Immy said:
blurr said:
Banks are in the business of making money, they are also interested in keeping customers. At least if you are up front and honest with the bank, you avoid most of the unpleasant problems that come with just expecting "things".

John

I've always considered banks a breed apart from regular businesses. Not every business can say their assets are covered by the goverment if they fail, so they have more incentive to offer better customer service and perks than a regular business.

This is true. They also deal in our countries currency and coinage. It would be nice if they acted like it, instead of making things such a hassle.

John

rsc

Mar 6, 2005
Noth of Houston
I think banks are going the way of cell phone providers. They will do everything they can to attract new customers, but they will do very little for the long term LOYAL ones.

Moral of the story......... look for new banks. HH Gayle

Hydrantman

Feb 4, 2008
Earth
DesertTumbleweed402 said:
Hey Hydrantman - was 5/3 trying to charge you to purchase a roll of halves or count them? I ended up picking up two boxes of nickels from another one of their branches and they were giving me a hard time saying I could only have one, but eventually gave me two.

They told me up front when I opened my account there that they have to charge me for buyng rolls. However they are more than willing to sell me full bags off their machine without extra charge. They ship out their bags on a weekly basis so I have to get there the day before if I want anything. They dont get too many halves so I have been doing quarters and pennies lately. Then of course I take them to Chase and dump them because they decided they were gonna start charging me for boxes after they have been no charge since Nov 07.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread