tamrock

Gold Member
Jan 16, 2013
Colorado
Detector(s) used
Bounty Hunter Tracker IV
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Well we got ourselves a what they call an Arctic Blast today and a little snow to boot. I decided bundle up and head out to see what I could find to photograph. I first went along a creek hoping see either a hawk or maybe a coyote in his prime, but all I saw was a couple of Magpies that flew by. I then decided to head to a little lake and try my luck there. Off in the distance I could see this big bird of prey high in a cottonwood and the closer I got I knew it wasn't no hawk, as it was as big as an Eagle. I've seen Eagle's here before and once long ago I watched one swoop down several times going after a little Mud-Hen in the lake. That little Mud-Hen dove under the water several times and the Eagle would miss and would would pop up for air and the Eagle would dive in again and miss it once more. After a few missed attempts that Eagle circling above either had a good sense or could maybe see that Mud-Hen coming again to the surface, but as soon as that Mud-Hen popped up that Eagle was right on target and with less the a second to spare the Eagle was already in the dive and zeroing very close in on the Mud-Hen and finally nailed the little bird and flew away with the Mud-Hen's head dangling and firmly gripped by his powerful talons. I did feel a bit sad for the little Mud-Hen, but that's just the brutal side of nature.

Attachments

• walk 010317 3.jpg
    walk 010317 3.jpg
    1.5 MB · Views: 51
  • walk 010317 4.jpg
    walk 010317 4.jpg
    973.2 KB · Views: 64
Last edited:

worldtalker

Gold Member
May 11, 2011
Western Mass.
Detector(s) used
XP Deus
Primary Interest:
Other
That's what eagles do..laws of nature at work there don't ya know.I saw one last week down the Meadows,as long as your moving they sit perched up on the power pole,stop and their...GONE.I'm looking forward to this spring when they nest.

I never get tired of seeing them,such a Majestic bird.

GOD Bless

Chris

Old Dude

Gold Member
Feb 20, 2013
Luzerne County, Pa
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Fisher F75, Garrett ATPro, Garrett GTAx 500
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
It looked like one's head above one of the nests I know of last night as I came home. Nice pic, Tam.

OP
OP
tamrock

tamrock

Gold Member
Jan 16, 2013
Colorado
Detector(s) used
Bounty Hunter Tracker IV
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
That's what eagles do..laws of nature at work there don't ya know.I saw one last week down the Meadows,as long as your moving they sit perched up on the power pole,stop and their...GONE.I'm looking forward to this spring when they nest.

I never get tired of seeing them,such a Majestic bird.

GOD Bless

Chris

He was pretty cooperative for a few shots and stayed even after I left. I thought he was going to fly off when I made a squeaking noise in order to get his attention and stop his head from moving all around, because I'd take a shot and they'd be him looking the other way. I wanted that Eagle eye of his in my shots and I missed the moment he looked right at me. I think I was kind of being a pest from his point of view, but I had to be.

Attachments

• walk 010317 2.jpg
    walk 010317 2.jpg
    941.3 KB · Views: 59

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread