Gold Member
Feb 20, 2013
Luzerne County, Pa
๐Ÿ† Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Fisher F75, Garrett ATPro, Garrett GTAx 500
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Hi all. Cjon and I got out today for a permission trip that took us to the coldest spot in Pennsylania. Wasn't too bad today as we both like the cooler days of fall. As you can see from the pics, I didn't find much but it was still a good day to be out. 4 crotals, a little ornate lock cover, 3 extremely crusty wheats, some clad and miscellaneous farm iron and trash. All the crotals still ring btw....thought that was pretty cool.
ImageUploadedByTapatalk1415226613.888167.jpg
ImageUploadedByTapatalk1415226638.322697.jpg

Upvote 18

WHADIFIND

Gold Member
Apr 9, 2012
South of the Mason-Dixon Line
๐Ÿฅ‡ Banner finds
๐Ÿ† Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT-MAX
Garrett AT-PRO,
Garrett Groundhog,
Pro-Pointer,

Jack Hammer!
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
It was really odd....I needed to change batteries in my pin pointer, so Chris came over to help and said " I think this is a bell" on the target I was trying to find in the hole. It turned out to be some gears for an old clock, but as soon as he went back to the front yard, my next 4 targets were the bells all scattered in about an 8 X 10 ft area. I hadn't found any of them until he said that.

Well, I'm sure you KNOW what to tell him to mention next. Right? ;)

cjon455

Gold Member
Jun 4, 2012
Northeast PA
๐Ÿ† Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Minelab Etrac
Garrett Propointer
Garrett Propointer-AT
Sampson T handle shovel
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Well, I'm sure you KNOW what to tell him to mention next. Right? ;)

I mention capped bust and seated, just doesn't seem to work lol

beez0404

Silver Member
Jan 4, 2014
Newton, NC
Detector(s) used
XP Deus
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Okay, a question from a novice. Love the crotal bells. Would they be hung from livestock so you could hear them? Or did they have another purpose? Congratulations on finding not just one, but four beautiful complete bells that STILL ring!!!

OP
OP
Old Dude

Old Dude

Gold Member
Feb 20, 2013
Luzerne County, Pa
๐Ÿ† Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Okay, a question from a novice. Love the crotal bells. Would they be hung from livestock so you could hear them? Or did they have another purpose? Congratulations on finding not just one, but four beautiful complete bells that STILL ring!!!

Crotal bells, also known as rumble bells, were used on horse-drawn vehicles before motorised vehicles were common.
They were orb-shaped bells made of bronze with a slot cut down the side and a round iron ball placed inside, which made the bell ring when it moved. These bells were used to warn other horse-drawn vehicle users (mostly on country roads) that another vehicle was approaching. They came in many sizes, from a small 1-inch version to bells that were many inches across. the older ones were forged while others were cast.
They were either hung on a small leather-and-iron harness bracket above the horse's collar on smaller vehicles. On larger vehicles, such as delivery wagons, they were driven into the wooden frame of the wagon.
The above statements come from Wikipedia, Beez. Most people associate them with sleigh bells.

cjon455

Gold Member
Jun 4, 2012
Northeast PA
๐Ÿ† Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Minelab Etrac
Garrett Propointer
Garrett Propointer-AT
Sampson T handle shovel
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

Look at this whopper, about the size of a baseball, broken on bottom though 20141017_174408-1.jpg

gunntekk1

Mar 19, 2005
Newport PA
Detector(s) used
Bounty Hunter Discovery 2200 and ACE 250, AT PRO
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
where at in Ne PA are you

OP
OP
Old Dude

Old Dude

Gold Member
Feb 20, 2013
Luzerne County, Pa
๐Ÿ† Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Luzerne County....home of corrupt politicians and judges, lol.

beez0404

Silver Member
Jan 4, 2014
Newton, NC
Detector(s) used
XP Deus
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Crotal bells, also known as rumble bells, were used on horse-drawn vehicles before motorised vehicles were common.
They were orb-shaped bells made of bronze with a slot cut down the side and a round iron ball placed inside, which made the bell ring when it moved. These bells were used to warn other horse-drawn vehicle users (mostly on country roads) that another vehicle was approaching. They came in many sizes, from a small 1-inch version to bells that were many inches across. the older ones were forged while others were cast.
They were either hung on a small leather-and-iron harness bracket above the horse's collar on smaller vehicles. On larger vehicles, such as delivery wagons, they were driven into the wooden frame of the wagon.
The above statements come from Wikipedia, Beez. Most people associate them with sleigh bells.

So with that information it would seem where you found 4 of them might perhaps have been where a livery was located? Either that or maybe the drivers of a couple horse drawn vehicles were listening to their ipads and didn't hear each other approach, had a bad collision, and the bells fall off right there for you to find.

cjon455

Gold Member
Jun 4, 2012
Northeast PA
๐Ÿ† Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Minelab Etrac
Garrett Propointer
Garrett Propointer-AT
Sampson T handle shovel
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
So with that information it would seem where you found 4 of them might perhaps have been where a livery was located? Either that or maybe the drivers of a couple horse drawn vehicles were listening to their ipads and didn't hear each other approach, had a bad collision, and the bells fall off right there for you to find.

They were texting on their colonial iPhones

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread