Not sure if this is anything....

Pancake

Nov 27, 2012
Mass.
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
I have been digging a bit over the past few days in an area near my house in Mass. I have found several shell dumps complete with tons of flakes, some broken and very crude pieces and a few nice points. I went out for a bit today and found this in among the shells. At first I looked right past it but then I picked it up and it looked worked. Most certainly not finished but the smoothish bottom, pecked appearance and general shape make me think it could be something. I am obviously no expert and could be making a fool of myself by posting a rock but I was wondering what you all thought?

IMG_2274.JPG
IMG_2275.JPG
IMG_2276.JPG
IMG_2277.JPG

Upvote 0
Aug 20, 2009
New Hampshire
Detector(s) used
Garret Master hunter Cx Plus
Primary Interest:
Other
Very well could be but,im no expert either lol.Especially it could be if found in a shell mound.Keep on digging those mounds.A lot of interesting things have come out of them that shouldnt be there.Including a celt bronze age dagger,Roman oil lamps oil,mediterranean ceramic olive oil lamps.

GatorBoy

Gold Member
May 28, 2012
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Dude! You found a celt!!! Awesome artifact and you don't even know it yet! I only found my first 1 two days ago. (If you don't count shell)

Last edited:

SOHIO

Bronze Member
Dec 6, 2010
Primary Interest:
Other
most certainly, a crude celt great pc

OP
OP
P

Pancake

Nov 27, 2012
Mass.
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
I thought crude celt right away but didn't want to get too excited until I ran it by you guys. It's been sitting on the table for the past couple hours and I keep telling my wife that I think I might have found a celt. Holy crap! Glad I went digging today!

GatorBoy

Gold Member
May 28, 2012
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Right on man! Woohoo..LOL. and thanks SOHIO.

GatorBoy

Gold Member
May 28, 2012
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
It looks like there's some usage wear on the bit.. otherwise I would have said it may be unfinished. It's pretty cool to see all the pecking.

SOHIO

Bronze Member
Dec 6, 2010
Primary Interest:
Other
looks like they got some good use out of it too.

OP
OP
P

Pancake

Nov 27, 2012
Mass.
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
The other pics don't really show it but I think that it was broken. Here is a better shot of the bit and unless I'm wrong, it's either broken or unfinished. Does this make sense?

IMG_2281.JPG

Wildcat1750

Gold Member
Nov 18, 2012
Western CT
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
AT PRO/Ace 250w8.5x11" DD Coil/
Garrett Pro-Pointer/Garrett Pro-Pointer AT/
Vibra-Tector 730/
Radio Shack Discovery 1000 (Tracker IV)
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Great find, Pancake! Good think you checked here for a second opinion!
Nick

GatorBoy

Gold Member
May 28, 2012
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Looking more closely at it I believe it's not finished.the grinding still needed to be done. Its at that point the bit would be finished. That explains all the visible pecking and the uneven bit. Great find just the same.

rock

Gold Member
Aug 25, 2012
South
Detector(s) used
Coin Finder
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Well it is a Celt and I congrat you on finding it. I do have to say I dont believe it is finished. And if so it is the first one I have ever seen that wasnt. Just in the state it is in rite now is truly a great find I believe it is a rare one. The reason I say rare is cause usually when they began a Celt they finished it all the way and then if it was discarded it was because it was broken. Yours is not complete on the bit end and even though it is pecked as GB pointed out it isnt smoothed and shows no sign of it ever being polished. I would truly admire it just for the reason that it is the first one I have ever seen that was left in this condition. Thank you so much for showing this fine Artifact, rock

OP
OP
P

Pancake

Nov 27, 2012
Mass.
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
One side is much smoother than the other and seems to me that maybe this side was smoothed and the other wasn't. Does this make any sense? Unfinished or not I'm still really excited about it.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Discussions