Not Sure of this..Brass, Copper, Medallion, KeyChain?

Doris104

Feb 3, 2012
Concrete, WA
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
My dad farmed in Illinois for almost 30 years and found this in one of his fields when he was out plowing one day. This would have been in the 1950 - 70's. He is in his 90's now and is, of course, going through his life memories and is very curious about this item. Can anyone help him out? He would like to know what it is made of, how old it is, we know who the manufacturer is, but was it a award, etc. It is about 1.2 inches across and in excellent condition.

https://imgur.com/MSLg37i

https://imgur.com/yZ9i9k8

Last edited:
OP
OP
Doris104

Doris104

Feb 3, 2012
Concrete, WA
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I have seen these auctions but I want some history. I can't find anything on the internet about it. He would like to sell it, but not sure of the value and how much it is worth. It is rather heavy for its size and not sure of the metal that it is made of. I see that most of the auctions say brass so I guess I can go with that, but this one is in so much better quality and it value has got to be higher than the ones I have seen. I just wish I could find it on line to see what it was given for. If it was a award for recognition or purchase from a gift shop, etc. Not sure of the date on the one auction that was listed either. That is the first time I saw a date listed with any of the medallions.

Upvote 0

Deftone

Jan 10, 2006
oklahoma
Detector(s) used
Tesoro Vaquero, Tejon
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Last edited:
Upvote 0

Tony in SC

Gold Member
Jun 8, 2006
Upstate South Carolina
Detector(s) used
Whites, Minelab, Tesoro, and custom machines
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
International Harvester(or IHC) Built manure spreaders from 1905 until 1980. The one on your medallion is a Cloverleaf No1. They were produced from 1908 to 1912. They were probably made from a bronze alloy. The IHC, McCormick, and Farmall guys are interested that type item. PS: As far as value I would say $20-$25.

Last edited:
Upvote 0

Clay Diggins

Silver Member
Nov 14, 2010
The Great Southwest
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
International Harvester was created by J.P. Morgan in 1906 so I doubt the eBay auction is correct. These were usually given to customers for use as watch fobs. Sorry I can't help you on value.

Upvote 0
OP
OP
Doris104

Doris104

Feb 3, 2012
Concrete, WA
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
International Harvester was created by J.P. Morgan in 1906 so I doubt the eBay auction is correct. These were usually given to customers for use as watch fobs. Sorry I can't help you on value.

I was thinking that it wasn't right either. I really don't trust anything off of eBay unless I can prove it somewhere, and like I said, I couldn't find anything on the internet on this. Thanks for the additional information. If you know of anyone interested in buying it, I am going to list it in the classified section.

Upvote 0
OP
OP
Doris104

Doris104

Feb 3, 2012
Concrete, WA
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
International Harvester(or IHC) Built manure spreaders from 1905 until 1980. The one on your medallion is a Cloverleaf No1. They were produced from 1908 to 1912. They were probably made from a bronze alloy. The IHC, McCormick, and Farmall guys are interested that type item. PS: As far as value I would say $20-$25.

Thanks so much for this information!! Now we can get it sold. My Dad has been trying to find out the detail on this for so long and we just could not find any information on it anywhere. Can I ask how you know about this? Just curious...I always like to know where the information comes from because then I know where to look next time. I am a non stop investigator when it comes to looking for this type of information. I will be posting this for sale in classified if you know of anyone that will be interested.

Upvote 0
OP
OP
Doris104

Doris104

Feb 3, 2012
Concrete, WA
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I was just going to list this in classified section and really don't know which section I should put it in.:dontknow:??? Someone help me with where this should be listed...I didn't find it with a metal detector or at a garage sale.

Upvote 0

Tony in SC

Gold Member
Jun 8, 2006
Upstate South Carolina
Detector(s) used
Whites, Minelab, Tesoro, and custom machines
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
I have restored and collected antique engines, tractors and other pieces of farm related "stuff" for many years. I have several IHC hit & miss engines now. That bit of information came from one of my reference books,150 Years of International Harvester, by CH Wendell.

Upvote 0

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread