✅ SOLVED Button ID

Tigerdude

Apr 2, 2016
South louisiana
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Different. C4277BAF-F3DE-47B6-B140-6C537411C250.jpeg 7C986B5C-65D6-4C4A-A428-09EF4A00F750.jpeg

TheCannonballGuy

Gold Member
Feb 24, 2006
Occupied CSA (Richmond VA)
Detector(s) used
White's 6000, Nautilus DMC-1, Minelab
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
Tigerdude, the button-IDs given at Ebay and Etsy for your button are both incorrect. It is not a Military button, nor is it an Airline pilot's button. So, your ID-request actually wasn't solved.

But it is now solved... you don't need to remove the "green check" on your post. Your button is a "commemorative" one, manufactured and sold to memorialize American pilot Charles Lindbergh's first-in-history solo flight across the Atlantic Ocean. That is why the button shows the plane flying above mid-ocean waves. The stars over the plane are intended to represent pilot Lindbergh (and his plane) being American.

Unfortunately, your button's designer had never seen the actual Lindbergh plane (nicknamed the "Spirit Of St. Louis")… because his plane's (single) wing is on top of the airplane's cockpit, not below it, as shown on your button.

Other versions of Lindbergh/Spirit-of-St.Louis commemorative buttons exist. Some have the (correct) 13 stars representing America. Others managed to get the Spirit's actual wing location correct.

Several examples of your button, and the other variations, have been posted here in the What-Is-It? forum during the past 10-or-so years.

Last edited:
Upvote 0
OP
OP
T

Tigerdude

Apr 2, 2016
South louisiana
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Hey Cannonball, i always defer to you. Thanks for the info. Reveals a much more interesting story. I remember the plane Jimmy Stewart flew in the movie. No windshield. Yikes!!!

Last edited:
Upvote 0

lairmo

Silver Member
Jan 1, 2009
SW MO
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT Pro/ Fisher M-Scope 1280-X
I didn't really read the descriptions just found a match...lol Thanks for the correction TBC!

Upvote 0

TheCannonballGuy

Gold Member
Feb 24, 2006
Occupied CSA (Richmond VA)
Detector(s) used
White's 6000, Nautilus DMC-1, Minelab
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
Tigerdud wrote:
> Thanks for the info. Reveals a much more interesting story. I remember the plane Jimmy Stewart flew in the movie. No windshield. Yikes!!!

Although about 40 years have passed since I saw the movie about Lindbergh's flight (its title was the airplane's name "Spirit of St. Louis" and starred James Stewart), I clearly remember Stewart/Lindbergh sticking his head out of the plane's side-window underneath the plane's "overhead single wing."

You too are remembering correctly, the plane had no front windshield... because that space was occupied by a huge fuel-oil tank to make the long trip across the Atlantic Ocean. Eventually, Lindbergh donated the original Spirit of St. Louis to the Smithsonian Museum. Readers who are interested can learn more about it, and see a (larger) photo if it here:
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Spirit_of_St._Louis

In the photo, note the peculiar "cone-shaped" nose with multiple small engine-exhausts just behind the propeller. Your button's designer did get that shape right. It's one of the clues which confirm the button was made to commemorate Lindbergh's historic first one-man TransAtlantic flight.

Attachments

• Spirit_Of_St_Louis2_THUMBNAIL.jpg
    Spirit_Of_St_Louis2_THUMBNAIL.jpg
    7.4 KB · Views: 110
Last edited:
Upvote 0
Oct 5, 2014
Massachusetts
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Garrett: AT Pro, AT Gold & Infinium; Minelab: Explorer SE, II; Simplex; Tesoro: Tejon & Outlaw; White's: V3i
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
Nice Find! :occasion14:

Great information; Thank You: "TheCannonBallGuy" :notworthy:

Upvote 0

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread