Not sure on a couple of items

Earthystuff

Aug 6, 2012
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Husband is always on the look out for that one thing that will set us for life, cant seem to find it! LOl He is really into old pottery here are a few things that I cant find info on online! What is ELOEE? IMG_1343.jpg IMG_1340.jpg IMG_1333.jpg IMG_1289.jpg IMG_1308.jpg IMG_1313.jpg The wood carving of the haitian lady we think is also Georges Laratte but there is no mark. The dogs maybe staffordshire however in comparison to Staffordshire mine seem to look better as far as quality in the faces. On the yellow pitcher it looks like EUOEE or ELOEE cant seem to find anything on it! Any help?

badkittystt

Greenie
Jul 19, 2012
St. Thomas
Primary Interest:
Beach & Shallow Water Hunting
I don't know much about ceramics but I know some artists who mark what kind of glaze they're using, it could be some sort of short hand for glaze and firing methods?

Red-Coat

Gold Member
Dec 23, 2019
Surrey, UK
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Just doing a bit of tidying up on some older threads, mainly for the benefit of anyone searching the site for information.

The jug is by Fratelli Fanciullacci (Fanciullacci Brothhers), produced exclusively for Elbee Imports and probably from the 1950s. Some time between 1858 and 1862 Raffaello Fanciullacci, a former director of the famous Ginori porcelain company, established a pottery of his own (Ceramiche Capraia) in Florence, Italy. By the late 1870s Rafaello was joined by his sons (Ilario, Giovanni, Amadeo, and Alfredo) to become Fanciullacci Brothers by 1880. They originally made simple, utilitarian, table and kitchenware for the Italian market and by 1914 were making 1,000 different mould designs. During the first half of the 20th Century they branched out into more artistic products and developed a thriving export business with America as their main destination via the Elbee Import Company. At the end of World War II, Colorificio took control of the company but allowed them to continue operating with little oversight. In 1966 the factory was devastated by the worst flooding of the River Arno in over 400 years. They were forced to close down for more than a year, during which they operated in a limited fashion from temporary premises, but output and quality dropped dramatically. They never fully recovered from the loss of many of their best craftsmen who sought employment elsewhere, and ceased all operations in 1988.

The dogs are in Staffordshire style, although not from a Staffordshire pottery. This very similar pair are said to be from Italy, which is probably correct (and vintage), but $90 is more than a bit steep for generic pottery of this type with no particular maker mark. They only have value for decorative appeal, not as collector items.

Dogs.jpg

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/234508316900

Thereā€™s not much to go on for the figurine.

The modernist sculpture is signed for the Haitian artist Georges Laratte. Difficult to say from the pictures, but it does appear to be an original carving, not a cast copy. If thatā€™s the case, it has substantial value, in the hundreds of dollars. Some examples and biographical details at this link:

https://www.naderhaitianart.com/en-gb/collections/laratte-georges

The candle-holder is listed here at $300 and believed by the seller to be Murano glass from either Alfredo Barbini or Salviati. I have no idea if thatā€™s correct but it doesnā€™t seem to be a realistic price for a ā€˜presumedā€™ attribution.

Murano.jpg

https://www.justglassmall.com/store...RBINI-SALVIATI-Opal-GOLD-FLECKS-Candle-Holder

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread