Not sure what it is but think it is silver?

OldJerseyGirl

Jun 28, 2013
Southern New Jersey
Detector(s) used
White's MXT pro Excaliburll AT Pro
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Went hunting in the woods with Treblehunter. Not a lot of finds. Just a penny and this. Cleaned up nicely with baking soda and q-tips. Did not clean the inside. Seems like tarnish. Anyone have any idea what it is? First thought was buckle, but husband thinks not. silver maybe 005.JPGsilver maybe 002.JPGsilver maybe 004.JPGsilver maybe 001.JPG

Upvote 4
I'm curious what it is because I found something very similar a few weeks ago.

Might be silver...almost looks like a stamp holder or match holder ?

I agree with NSDQ...
Match holder...
Looks like silver.

I'm by no means an expert. But, it looks like an antique cigarette holder to me.

Neat find and yeah probably a stamp or match safe.

Here's one I found a few years back.

Regards + HH

Bill

Attachments

• stamp safe.jpg
    stamp safe.jpg
    39.4 KB · Views: 94
Last edited:
It might be marked on the inside but with the patina it may be hard to spot and read

Nice find

I agree it's silver. Yes matches or pills etc. Was probably used for a number of things

HH Jer

I am guessing match holder also. Question. Do any of the sides look like there is a match striker on it? Like a crisscross section of lines? That would probably be a definitive marking. It is possible the compartment in the back had some kind of emery cloth or something of the sort to be used as a lighter for matches also.

Looks silver or heavy silver plate to me. Strange no markings on it

Here is a similar design.

http://www.terapeak.com/worth/vintage-matchbox-holder-case/181826256230/

Last edited:
Marked .925. Isn't that silver?!

Looks like silver - I bet you'll find the stamp when you clean the inside. Great find.

Well thank you all. It is for sure a match holder. Don't know about match box though . A book of matches fits like a glove leaving the striker strip exposed. Cleaned the inside and can find no silver mark at all. Thank you all. If someone here does not know what something is , no one does!

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Back