buck8point

Apr 22, 2018
Iberville Parish, Louisiana
Detector(s) used
Garrett ACE 250 / Garrett AT Max /
Garrett Pro Pointer / Garrett Pro Pointer AT
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I called up my boy possum and he said to remove my cold cover I don’t even know it had a cool cover on it and it’s filthy inside there hopefully that’s it. I didn’t know these things had coil covers LOL

Yup... that'll do it.. worth a shot anyways...

buck8point

Apr 22, 2018
Iberville Parish, Louisiana
Detector(s) used
Garrett ACE 250 / Garrett AT Max /
Garrett Pro Pointer / Garrett Pro Pointer AT
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I appreciate it hawk I was surprised how much soil the had in there

lol.. why does that not surprise me after seeing the tip of your old carrot??? :laughing7:

I think I found a video of ol Truth rootin out an area he had found a good signal at.... :laughing7:

Kona Koma

Bronze Member
Nov 13, 2017
On the Beach
Detector(s) used
Minelab Equinox 800
Minelab Quattro
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
All great suggestions. I have a Nox 800, and occasionally I have to hit “Factory Reset” and clean the sand around the coil cap. Also, the connections need to be cleaned and tighten occasionally. Good luck.

vferrari

Silver Member
Jul 19, 2015
Near Ground Zero for Insanity
Detector(s) used
XP Deus with HF/x35 Coils and Mi6 Pinpointer/ML Equinox 600/800/ML Tarsacci MDT 8000 GPX 4800/Garrett ATX/Fisher F75 DST/Tek G2+/Delta/Whites MXT/Nokta Simplex/Garrett Carrot
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I’ve been Metal Detecting for the last couple of days and not getting any real clear good signals so I brought a liberty dime with me and buried it at 5 inches deep with the 6” and nothing. I tried every program, ground balance, every kilohertz nothing so aggravated with this thing lately.

I don’t think my soil is compatible with the 800 with the high mineralization it averages mid 70s mid 80s

Oh, no - not that disappearing "liberty" dime again. I've heard stories about that one Truth.

you're working it too hard! give it a break, you know, 20 minutes every four hours or so. sounds very frustrating, hope it gets straightened out quickly.

Now, ain't that the "Truth"

So what’s Hi mineralized numbers? 99

Truth - as I've mentioned to you before regarding ground balance, the ground balance numbers on the Equinox will not really tell you anything certain about the mineralization of your soil. They are just relative numbers that simply measure the ground phase. Now the ground phase certainly can be affected by mineralization, but a high Equinox ground phase number does not necessarily mean the ground is highly mineralized. You need a detector with separate mineralization meter like the Fisher F75 or XP Deus to know what the mineralization level is. Wish the Equinox had a mineralization meter.

It’s working better I went to the same spot and got a lot of camp lead to I’m pleased

Good. Glad you got that coil cover cleaned out. Is that dime still invisible though?

Not yet after taxes I’m getting at Deus I’ll tell you that

Good choice to compliment the Equinox. I was getting worried for you since it had been a long time since you've gotten a new detector - that Equinox was getting a little long in the tooth. It might be a little frustrating at first but I know how patient you are with these detectors, so you should get the hang of it in no time. Plus with the Deus you will have your very own mineralization meter so you won't have to keep asking if 99 is high mineralization.

Seriously, though. Glad you got the Equinox going again. I need a pick axe and blow torch to detect up here anytime soon.

OP
OP
Truth

Truth

Gold Member
Apr 13, 2016
Abita Springs La....Born in New Orleans
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
EQUINOX 800
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
lol.. why does that not surprise me after seeing the tip of your old carrot??? :laughing7:

I think I found a video of ol Truth rootin out an area he had found a good signal at.... :laughing7:

LMFAO!!! THAT IS AWESOME!!!! CLASSIC

I do have a bad digging problem

Last edited:
OP
OP
Truth

Truth

Gold Member
Apr 13, 2016
Abita Springs La....Born in New Orleans
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
EQUINOX 800
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Oh, no - not that disappearing "liberty" dime again. I've heard stories about that one Truth.

Now, ain't that the "Truth"

Truth - as I've mentioned to you before regarding ground balance, the ground balance numbers on the Equinox will not really tell you anything certain about the mineralization of your soil. They are just relative numbers that simply measure the ground phase. Now the ground phase certainly can be affected by mineralization, but a high Equinox ground phase number does not necessarily mean the ground is highly mineralized. You need a detector with separate mineralization meter like the Fisher F75 or XP Deus to know what the mineralization level is. Wish the Equinox had a mineralization meter.

Good. Glad you got that coil cover cleaned out. Is that dime still invisible though?

Good choice to compliment the Equinox. I was getting worried for you since it had been a long time since you've gotten a new detector - that Equinox was getting a little long in the tooth. It might be a little frustrating at first but I know how patient you are with these detectors, so you should get the hang of it in no time. Plus with the Deus you will have your very own mineralization meter so you won't have to keep asking if 99 is high mineralization.

Seriously, though. Glad you got the Equinox going again. I need a pick axe and blow torch to detect up here anytime soon.

Thanks V I ALWAYS like hearing from you. You have diffidently give me great advice I just keep forgetting.

HighVDI

Silver Member
Feb 16, 2017
Pa
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Mine acts a little unstable when the coil cover needs taken off and scrubed.

Davers

Gold Member
Jan 8, 2013
N.of , I-285...GA
Detector(s) used
Whites Spc xlt & Tesoro Tejon- Now back ...Fisher 1266-X. TRX Pointer. New .Teknetics G2 + . New AT Pro .
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Glad you got it working , now my G2 is acting up , go figure.?

pulltabfelix

Bronze Member
Jan 29, 2018
North Atlanta
Detector(s) used
Currently have CTX3030 and Vanquish 440.
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
man that was a good post about removing the coil cover. I have a new 15 x 12" coil for my 800 that I have used only 3-4 times and I removed the cover and found a nice layer of fine sand. Funny the sand layer was on the bottom of the actual coil and not on the inside of the coil cover. I suspect maybe? the electromagnetic waves are attracting the find mineralized soil.

Thanks Truth!

attached pictures of sand removed from my stock coil on my 800.

sand2.JPG
sand1.JPG

Last edited:

vferrari

Silver Member
Jul 19, 2015
Detector(s) used
XP Deus with HF/x35 Coils and Mi6 Pinpointer/ML Equinox 600/800/ML Tarsacci MDT 8000 GPX 4800/Garrett ATX/Fisher F75 DST/Tek G2+/Delta/Whites MXT/Nokta Simplex/Garrett Carrot
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
man that was a good post about removing the coil cover. I have a new 15 x 12" coil for my 800 that I have used only 3-4 times and I removed the cover and found a nice layer of fine sand. Funny the sand layer was on the bottom of the actual coil and not on the inside of the coil cover. I suspect maybe? the electromagnetic waves are attracting the find mineralized soil.

Thanks Truth!

attached pictures of sand removed from my stock coil on my 800.

View attachment 1677747
View attachment 1677748

The epoxy coil coating is stickier than the plastic cover. Not an electromagnetic phenomenon.

vferrari

Silver Member
Jul 19, 2015
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Can you explain what you mean by sweep speed and how you come up with the number?:icon_scratch:???

He means the detector's recovery speed setting.

Last edited:

pa-dirt_nc-sand

Silver Member
Apr 18, 2016
South Western PA
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
ACE 250 with DD coil
Equinox 600
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
After reading this thread I too removed my cover for the first time since August. There was 1/8” of dirt in the cover and honey comb, probably some black sand in there as well. I have to say the coil cover is very well made. My Garrett covers would crack easily.

devldog

Silver Member
Mar 9, 2012
Georgia
Detector(s) used
Whites MXT ALL PRO, Minelab Safari
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
Truth, glad to hear your Nox is feeling better. That's the only thing about coil covers, you have to keep check on them to ensure nothing has gotten into them to drive your MD crazy. I have never really been a fan of coil covers for that reason.

devldog

Silver Member
Mar 9, 2012
Georgia
Detector(s) used
Whites MXT ALL PRO, Minelab Safari
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
Davers, here's hoping you can get your G2 straightened out soon. Now is the time to hit those woods. Good Luck to you,

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread