Not too happy with USPS

Pointman

Silver Member
Feb 18, 2013
Arkansas
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
I’ve used about all modern ones but right now: CTX 3030, White’s MXT Pro, XP Deus, Vaquero, White’s TRX
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
I am not too thrilled with the USPS. I have been selling items for about 7-8 years on various sites. Earlier in the year, I had a packaged going out Priority and scheduled a pick-up. The postal carrier did not pick up the package for 3 days, but I still received a pick up confirmation day two. I have since spoken with my Postal Lady and she stated that she was never notified and that it happens all the time. The office did a CYA (cover their A--) by updating that the package was picked up when it hadn't. Two weeks later the buyer notified me that he hadn't received the item. I spent another 2 weeks calling the Post Office customer support line and finally (after a dozen calls) reached someone and they stated that the Post Office had 3 packages lost on the same day/route. The lady told me that it was probably sitting in a warehouse somewhere misplaced and that it would go to public auction once it is found. I didn't buy shipping insurance because the item wasn't that much, but after Priority shipping (which never took place) I was out close to $30 and the seller didn't receive the item that they bought.

Now I pay extra and go through UPS. The way I see it, I have never had problems using them and I have sent easily well over 100 packages personally and have used them for years through my work. I can also at least get a human on the phone the first time I call and get resolution if I have shipping problems, although I may not understand what they say sometimes.

Ranting a bit, I realize. I work for the government and I know about "red tape" and how it runs inefficiently. In 7 years, I have had packages lost before and letters torn in half and remnants sent back to me, easily 5+% loss which is too much. I think that good people work for USPS, but it is operates inefficiently and like the rest of the government, there isn't anyone held liable so why take the extra step and ensure things work smoothly or at all?

Last edited:

BosnMate

Gold Member
Sep 10, 2010
Detector(s) used
Whites MXT, Whites DFX, Whites 6000 Di Pro
Primary Interest:
Other
USPS is over priced poor service. If you buy insurance, good luck collecting. I used to sell video tapes, and they would disappear into thin air. A friend that worked in the back of the building told me that because of affirmative action there are people working for the USPS that can't read, and in fact there were people working in the big distribution centers that only need to be able to read 5 numbers. To check on that, you have to know someone that works for USPS, and will tell the truth, because the guys at the front counter never give a straight, honest answer.

Wily Dunk

Sep 12, 2012
Shelby, Alabama
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT Pro - Ground EFX TC1X Treasure Commander Si Robertson Signature Edition - BH Pioneer 202 - RS Micronta 4003 -
Garrett Pro Pinpointer
Garrett Edge Digger - Lesche Digger
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
I keep having problems with both UPS and Fed Ex.. I've ordered two detectors at different times from different dealers and one was sent to me using UPS and the other was sent using Fed Ex and both times they were delivered to the house down the block.. Both packages had my correct address but the drivers delivered them to the wrong house.. I was lucky both times and was outside and managed to catch the drivers before they left.. Glad I can check the computer and find out when a package is out for delivery so I can keep an eye out for the truck delivering it.. Never had a problem with USPS except it may be dark before the mail is delivered..

vpnavy

Super Moderator
Staff member
Jun 15, 2008
York County, PA (USA)
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
metal_detector.gif
Hey, I am so old that I have experienced problems (at one time or another) with the USPS, FedEx and UPS. The more you ship with one company - the closer you get to having a package lost, etc. Don't get upset - it is inevitable!
killingme.gif

Alan Applegate

Aug 20, 2013
Roswell, NM
Detector(s) used
Ace 250, GTI-2500
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Well, someone aught to check the stats of the USPS, UPS, and FedEx. Hopefully my math is okay.....

The USPS handles about 160 billion pieces of mail each year. According to the USPS, 98.7% are handled correctly. That leaves over 1.6 billion that don't!

UPS does about 4.1 billion per year, with a success hovering around 99.4%, so over 10 million don't make it on time!

FedEx ships about 1.2 billion per year, with a success of 99.8%, or about 2.4 million that don't make it one time!

Of the three, FedEx has by far the highest customer service rating, with UPS very close, and the USPS dead last by a mile!

team sidewinder

Apr 14, 2013
SW MONTANA
Detector(s) used
MINELAB XTERRA 705 , CTX 3030.
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
USPS is pretty bad alright. I would much prefer to see something I have ordered being sent UPS or FedEx rather than USPS. USPS is sooooo slooow.:dontknow:
And I should add that if your USPS tracking number says it will deliver on a certain day you can sure bet it will be at least a day or two after that date.:BangHead:

Last edited:

Davers

Gold Member
Jan 8, 2013
N.of , I-285...GA
Detector(s) used
Whites Spc xlt & Tesoro Tejon- Now back ...Fisher 1266-X. TRX Pointer. New .Teknetics G2 + . New AT Pro .
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
IMP they are auctioning off folks lost mail/packages to pay for the Obuma care website. lol

Produce Guy

Bronze Member
Dec 17, 2008
austin,texas
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Garrett Ace250,garrett pro-pointer,AT/Pro,
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
UPS or Fed EX are my choices.

WVARelics

Jun 21, 2012
Winchester, Va
Detector(s) used
Garrett Groundhog, AT PRO
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I too have had recent problems with USPS. Service anymore is terrible. I received a letter in our mailbox that was mailed and PO stamped June 27 2013, it didn't arrive in the box until Sept 17th!! It looked like it had been riding around in the PO truck the whole time. The kicker was it was mailed about 4 blocks from my house...almost 3 months to go 4 blocks.

SusanMN

Silver Member
Jun 1, 2007
Minnesota
Detector(s) used
Tiger Shark, Xterra 705, Makro Legend
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
If you send fed ex, be sure it is going to be Fed Ex til delivery. They have a service now where it starts off with Fed Ex but then they transfer it to the USPS for delivery. Its a crap shoot if they'll meet their estimated delivery times and tracking is terrible.

barrywk

May 2, 2013
lancaster sc
Detector(s) used
Minelab Xterra 505...At Pro...T2...F5.....F70.....xterra 705...AT Gold......Pro pointer....Pro find 25......XP Deus...gti 2500
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
usps carries over 30% of fedex and ups parcels....its more cost effective for the later for fedex and ups....also 160 billion pieces of mail means also letters and junk mail,,,,fed ex and ups doesn't carry letters or junk mail

flinthunter

Jan 3, 2011
Illinois
Detector(s) used
E-Trac, V3i, DFX
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Priority Mail comes with free tracking and free insurance up to fifty dollars. If there was a tracking label on it you should be insured. Take your tracking number in and file a claim.

Old Bookaroo

Silver Member
Dec 4, 2008
I've been buying and selling books by mail since Moby Dick was a guppy - fifty years and counting.

I've had one issue with USPS - a book that got caught in a processing machine and was bent in half. Happily it was a trade paperback in print (Meylach's Diving to a Flash of Gold, if anybody cares - I took the fold-out map from it and moved on).

I think the USPS does an extraordinary job. People compare the service to FedX or UPS - but they don't want to pay $15 to pay the light bill when the USPS will do the job for less than fifty cents.

I ship most of my books Media Mail with Tracking (eBay requirement). Some of the smaller items (13 oz. or less) are cheaper to ship First Class.

Items have to be well packaged! I buy on eBay and man sellers just shove a book or pamphlet or map into an envelope and figure that's enough (ignoring my request for careful packaging with instructions).

I'm not disputing anyone else's experience. This is mine.

Good luck to all,

~The Old Bookaroo

rock

Gold Member
Aug 25, 2012
South
Detector(s) used
Coin Finder
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I just ordered a package to be delivered 3 days ago. The first notice for delivery was going to come 2 days ago. I just checked and now they say Monday. Thats is 5 days now instead of 2. Its Saturday so I will see if it comes on Monday I guess. It left NJ and Im in N GA and it already went 20 miles south of me. That means they drove rite pass my home. Im tracking it.
My package came today this time on Monday so it took 5 days.

Last edited:

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread