XP Deus HF coils, Minelab Equinox 800
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

vferrari

Silver Member
Jul 19, 2015
Near Ground Zero for Insanity
Detector(s) used
XP Deus with HF/x35 Coils and Mi6 Pinpointer/ML Equinox 600/800/ML Tarsacci MDT 8000 GPX 4800/Garrett ATX/Fisher F75 DST/Tek G2+/Delta/Whites MXT/Nokta Simplex/Garrett Carrot
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
No difference in the 3 notch slots, set them however you want, as desired.

Calabash Digger

Gold Member
Apr 18, 2016
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
XP DEUS II ,XP DEUS, EQUINOX 800, EXCALIBUR II,
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
if your relic hunting be very very very careful with that notch business

OP
OP
Bharpring

Bharpring

Bronze Member
Dec 29, 2016
Savannah, GA
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Yeah you can miss some awesome stuff with the notching if your not careful. I will use it sometimes to quiet the Deus down and get a great ping sound on good targets especially with the LF coils. It seems to make the good non ferrous targets sound so good, I guess because it knocks out the EMT. The HF coils I have not needed to use notch while relic hunting. I mostly use it in the trashy parks and trashy sites with itty bitty slices of aluminum all over. Also when my time is limited (which always seems to be the case with wife and 3 little ones at home) notching is the only thing that will save me time digging too much trash. I will go back when I have the time and pull out all of the targets within the notch ranges later.

vferrari

Silver Member
Jul 19, 2015
Near Ground Zero for Insanity
Detector(s) used
XP Deus with HF/x35 Coils and Mi6 Pinpointer/ML Equinox 600/800/ML Tarsacci MDT 8000 GPX 4800/Garrett ATX/Fisher F75 DST/Tek G2+/Delta/Whites MXT/Nokta Simplex/Garrett Carrot
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Yeah you can miss some awesome stuff with the notching if your not careful. I will use it sometimes to quiet the Deus down and get a great ping sound on good targets especially with the LF coils. It seems to make the good non ferrous targets sound so good, I guess because it knocks out the EMT. The HF coils I have not needed to use notch while relic hunting. I mostly use it in the trashy parks and trashy sites with itty bitty slices of aluminum all over. Also when my time is limited (which always seems to be the case with wife and 3 little ones at home) notching is the only thing that will save me time digging too much trash. I will go back when I have the time and pull out all of the targets within the notch ranges later.

Knocking out the EMT is never a good idea, especially if you want medical assistance from them next time around. lol.

But seriously, since you are the one setting up the notch ranges, have you considered just use your brain and willpower to make the decision to ignore the signals in those ranges rather than notch them out if you are pressed for time? Also, if using full tones, as Calabash said, notching can cause you to miss targets that are masked by ferrous which causes the target ID to be down averaged (you can use the the quality of the target tone or an unmasking program to further interrogate questionable targets). I can see using notch in an extreme case of EMI such as dog fence where you just can't even swing the detector without going nuts, so using notch to suppress an extensive range of low conductors (say notching from your disc setting up to 40 or 50) can save your sanity and perhaps net you some decent targets in an otherwise undetectable situation (knowing that you will likely never hear keepers in the notched range).

I would consider notch for EMI situations such as the one described above but I personally would not use it to notch out target ranges (without EMI) unless I was cherry picking in a competition hunt (and even then I would have to REALLY think about it). I like to hear what is in the ground and make the decision on my own whether or not to dig, that's just my approach. Not saying you should change your approach but just asking the question above to put it out there for your consideration.

OP
OP
Bharpring

Bharpring

Bronze Member
Dec 29, 2016
Savannah, GA
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Ha ha. Meant Emi. I do it all and change it up to see what works. One of my favorites is the hot program. But once I know I’m in iron or modern trash I don’t hear any more good targets if I keep disc at 10 and notch 0 vs disc 0 with notch 0-10. Other than hearing the noise from iron. Am I the only one with this experience?

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread