Aug 17, 2013
Coastal Orange County, CA
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Garrett ATX, AT Pro, ProPointer, and a weirdly good sense of direction
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
-
I hit the minus tide (-0.4) in the surf for a couple hours late yesterday afternoon at Long Beach, CA. I tried an out of the way area and concentrated as far down toward to surf as I could and still have a few seconds to scoop between waves.

I found nothing special, a lot of lead, and a few interesting items deep in the muck.
That plastic bag was sealed and had a few small wear holes in it. It was full of black iron sand and I could feel something hard in the bag. When I cut open the bag, it appears to have a motorcycle chain master link in it.

That knife, the rusted iron thing, and some lead were about 18"-20" deep and they took a lot of digging between waves to reach them. I took some before and after photos of the knife and iron thing. I hit the rusted iron thing with a hammer and a iron hook appeared. The knife cleaned up pretty good.

I also found a ring, dollar coin, two tokens, the most crusted pull tab I have ever scooped, and some clad and other trash not shown.

Thanks for Looking ... Have a great weekend

ATX Surf1.JPG -- ATX Surf2.JPG -- ATX Surf3.JPG

AFTER CLEANING

ATX Surf4.JPG -- ATX Surf5.JPG

Upvote 0

Tom_in_CA

Gold Member
Mar 23, 2007
Salinas, CA
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Explorer II, Compass 77b, Tesoro shadow X2
thanx for posting so-cal-beach-scanner. The wet's probably not too productive right now, as there hasn't been any appreciable surf/swell action lately. But I see you *did* get lead sinkers though. That's always a positive sign that there could be gold there too. Since the density/weight of lead and gold is similar. However, if I'm at a beach where's there's a lot of fishing that goes on (like by piers, or beaches popular with surf-fishermen), then I don't lend much credence to finding sinkers. But if lead sinkers are showing up on beaches where fishing rarely goes on, then .... lead sinkers get me excited :)

OP
OP
SoCalBeachScanner

SoCalBeachScanner

Aug 17, 2013
Coastal Orange County, CA
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Garrett ATX, AT Pro, ProPointer, and a weirdly good sense of direction
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
thanx for posting so-cal-beach-scanner. The wet's probably not too productive right now, as there hasn't been any appreciable surf/swell action lately. But I see you *did* get lead sinkers though. That's always a positive sign that there could be gold there too. Since the density/weight of lead and gold is similar. However, if I'm at a beach where's there's a lot of fishing that goes on (like by piers, or beaches popular with surf-fishermen), then I don't lend much credence to finding sinkers. But if lead sinkers are showing up on beaches where fishing rarely goes on, then .... lead sinkers get me excited :)

Hi Tom ... thanks for your post.
The last few times out were with the ATX and I'm doing some experimenting with depth vs the signal strength indicator. I'm getting to the point where I can tell if it's a ring size object that is deep or shallow unless the target is very deep (over 14"). The high/low tone and the low/high tone helps with the conductivity of metal your scanning over.
Long Beach is a very old area and lead is going to be everywhere along the six mile coast deep in the tar muck sand. Some of the stuff I have been scooping in the minus tide surf line have been deep in the sand/muck for decades. Some lead gets stuck in the tar muck a 6" and some lead will be 16"+ in other areas of the low tide surf line.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Discussions