NOW IM SCARED

resq937

Mar 6, 2005
NOT too sure if i wanna go back to the spot i hit today---I really dont want to run into one of these that are alive! even in death this thing got me---you can see the blood spot on the jaw--I have yet to identify what it might be I live in PA and can not think of any wild animal that would have this big of a jaw with that type of teeth--I also found some rather large leg bones near it (about 20 feet off) that would rule out opposum or smaller critter like that---this thing has some size to it-----I also posted some of the other finds from the same area---if anyone is good with id'ing the jaw and teeth that would help me know what i need to look out for

Attachments

• apreight.jpg
    apreight.jpg
    35.8 KB · Views: 757
  • owie.jpg
    owie.jpg
    34.9 KB · Views: 748
Upvote 0

stoney56

Gold Member
Oct 4, 2004
Oklahoma
Dano, that's what it looks like to me as well. Got plenty of 'em here just not that big. When they clamp down, they do the gator death roll and then it's all over.

Colorado2

Dec 26, 2004
Berthoud CO
Detector(s) used
White's DFX, White's MXT, Fisher Gold Bug II
Daaaaammnnnn!!! Three things spring to mind as I read through all these posts. One, that was one toothy muskie...(must have really understood dental hygiene & made regular visits to his dentists)! Two, that Gar is one big SOB and I'm really glad that hill billy ate him! Three, thank God I live in Colorado (where the Muskies have to be 30 inches to keep and I don't know of anyone catching a keeper) and we don't have any gar at all!!! Don't pee near any of those lakes Resq. :-X~CO2

F

Floater

Resq, I'm thinkin that the Damn Musky ate the Coyote after the coyote dragged it up and then he just couldn't find his way back to the lake.
This would explain the Large bones that don't belong to the fish. Also Is that a Barometer in the Picture next to the Jaw. Where the hec ya hunting son? next to the Dump or is this an old campsite or what.
Dano, I have seen that Pic or the gar before. That is one big A$$ fish. If I saw that swimming with me I would die on the spot and then some.
I did have a Musky come up and take a Perch whole and break my line in one swoop on the St,Lawrence just off of Alexandria Bay. Pi$$ me off. The water was clear and I had this one on and just about had him in the boat When he came out of no where and swallowed it whole, busted the line and winked at me as he headed deep. Needless to say I had to settle for a restaurant that night since my dinner was taken by the SOB. LOL

melnatcat

Mar 9, 2005
Central Minnesota
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
You guys really make a person think...we have muskies in the Mississippi river and stocked in some Minnesota Lakes. After this post, it really makes me even want to detect in a couple feet of water! A few summers ago, a boy was on a dock over the Mississippi with his feet in the water, and a muskie came up and bit his leg. I am not sure of the record here, but I have seen some what I thot were big ones hanging on bar walls! Those pics...whoa! Stoney, where were those ones on the tow truck taken?

A

another _novice

I fish for muskies. There are a lot of them in the Niagara river and in Lake Chautauqua. There are few reports of bites, and when I talk to people who have lived on the lake or river all their lives, I realize that the only time someone gets bitten is when someone actually puts their hand in the water as the fish panics - so the fish accidentally runs its teeth into the person. I did hear one report of a fish going for a shiny watch on a hand dangling in the water, but as people were telling me that story, everybody was laughing - like they didn't believe it either.

People have been sliced up trying to get them off hooks - but that's understandable, since the fish is jumping around, and you may be trying to get a hook out of its mouth.

I don't think they especially like still lake water (Lake Chautauqua is 30 miles long).

Magnificent fish - I release them. They aren't especially good to eat.

dano91

Apr 3, 2005
colorado
Muskie and northern pike are basically fresh water barracuda. We have a hybrid in colorado called Tiger muskie.
Last year a game warden told me they would be 5 ft now, Lon Hagler res. is best bet for them.
We spend a lot of time on my lonestar 1958 aluminum cabin cruiser.
Here's Guido tying up the boats together, took me over 1/2 hr to teach him that knot!!!

Attachments

• 1 225.jpg
    1 225.jpg
    46.4 KB · Views: 385
OP
OP
R

resq937

Mar 6, 2005
took the bones to the fish and game they seem to think the teeth are too big for a muskee---said someone may have dropped a baracuda in the lake as a joke---they said even if they assume the discoloration on the teeth is the original gum line they still seem to be too big----who knows

Im not sure what that thing is beside the teeth---this area is supposed to be a nice recreational area and it has been years since i have been there---but it does appear to becoming a dump--and i have definately ruled out peeing near the lake and skinny dippin

he did seem to lose alot of the smaller front teeth and only had a few remaining---and for this I am glad if he tore up my thumb the way he did with a hillbilly style jaw i would hate to have seem what he woulda done with a mouthful of them fangs

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread