Nox 800 screen locking up

nuggetdog

Jan 29, 2014
Utah
Detector(s) used
Equinox 800
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
When I’m swinging the coil, sometimes the machine will beep, lock up for 4 seconds then unlock. This happens all the time.
I’m using park 1 with all default settings, doesn’t seem to matter what the sensitivity is set at.
It’s a new machine, is there something I’m doing wrong or is this normal?

vferrari

Silver Member
Jul 19, 2015
Near Ground Zero for Insanity
Detector(s) used
XP Deus with HF/x35 Coils and Mi6 Pinpointer/ML Equinox 600/800/ML Tarsacci MDT 8000 GPX 4800/Garrett ATX/Fisher F75 DST/Tek G2+/Delta/Whites MXT/Nokta Simplex/Garrett Carrot
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
What do you mean locks up? Do you mean it locks the display on the last Target ID for 3 to 4 seconds after the beep? That is normal.

Or is it something else? Do the tones still come through?

Set 5 or 6 different targets (e.g. penny, dime, pull tab, bottle cap, nail, nickel, quarter, gold ring, fishing weight, etc. ) on the ground spaced a few inches apart and in random order. Shift to all metal (horseshoe button) so no target is discriminated out. Can you hear each target individually as you sweep? Does the screen lock up, does the target ID change as you sweep over each target in succession, with the last target ID remaining locked in for a few seconds? If so, your machine is behaving normally.

Last edited:
OP
OP
nuggetdog

nuggetdog

Jan 29, 2014
Utah
Detector(s) used
Equinox 800
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
When the display locks up, there are no further tones until it unlocks.
I’m hunting in very trashy areas so no need to line items up on the ground, the campsites Im hunting have a unbelievable amount of different kinds of trash

OP
OP
nuggetdog

nuggetdog

Jan 29, 2014
Utah
Detector(s) used
Equinox 800
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Just returned from a hunt, this time I used all metal, and to my surprise I really like it and no lock ups. I guess I it was normal, just need to learn the machine.
I need to get a new arm cuff screw, dang thing came loose and fell out. :)

Donut

Jan 25, 2010
Coloma, Michigan
Detector(s) used
Xterra 70 6" 7.5khz concentric 9" 7.5Khz concentric, 5x10 18.75Khz DD, 10.5 18.75Khz DD.
Just returned from a hunt, this time I used all metal, and to my surprise I really like it and no lock ups. I guess I it was normal, just need to learn the machine.
You’ve got a detector don’t you. Go find that screw. I think it has a threaded insert. Lol.

vferrari

Silver Member
Jul 19, 2015
Near Ground Zero for Insanity
Detector(s) used
XP Deus with HF/x35 Coils and Mi6 Pinpointer/ML Equinox 600/800/ML Tarsacci MDT 8000 GPX 4800/Garrett ATX/Fisher F75 DST/Tek G2+/Delta/Whites MXT/Nokta Simplex/Garrett Carrot
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
When the display locks up, there are no further tones until it unlocks.
I’m hunting in very trashy areas so no need to line items up on the ground, the campsites Im hunting have a unbelievable amount of different kinds of trash

Yep, that's why I told you to try all metal. Had no idea what the site situation was so that is why I suggested supplying targets. Even when iron is discriminated out, it will false or give clipped tones but is still being detected in the background (you just don't hear the tones or see the ID) so that may be why the detector appears locked up. If you turn the continuous threshold tone up and keep iron segment discrimination on, the threshold tone will blank when you pass the coil over a discriminated target (even though you get no tone or ID). In thick iron situations I like to run all metal like you are doing because it eliminates clipped tones and I get a good idea of iron target density. Can get a little fatiguing with all the iron tones, though, so you can turn the threshold up and disc out the iron and just switch back and forth with the horseshoe button. Glad you figured it out. Good luck and happy hunting.

Last edited:
OP
OP
nuggetdog

nuggetdog

Jan 29, 2014
Utah
Detector(s) used
Equinox 800
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Minelab is sending me a new arm cuff screw as a courtesy, great customer service.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread