63bkpkr

Silver Member
Aug 9, 2007
Southern California
Detector(s) used
XLT, GMT, 6000D Coinmaster
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Headphones, this subject could start a fight between normally good friends. All 'wired headphones' have wires from the phones to the detector and the wires almost always get in the way or tangle in 'stuff ' and that is why I purchased a set of wireless headphones. In general the use of headphones improves a persons detecting experience, you hear better.

Wired headphones built for detecting are usually made quite sturdy to withstand all the travel and bumps. Some detecting headphones are waterproof and under certain conditions this could be an advantage. Detecting headphones match the resistance requirements for detecting, I think its 150 ohms. Some detecting headphones have several adjustments on them (volume control for each side, possibly a boost circuit switch, and some turn of one or the other side so a person can hear Rattle snakes buzzing. Is a $100 and up for "Detector" Headphones worth it. depends somewhat on the user (if you've lost some of your hearing ability the earphones could help and then they might not). ALL headphones are hot and nasty in the summer, IMHO! Your ears get cooked or the phones pinch too tightly or both. Whites/Jimmy Sierra just brought out the third version of their/his headphones.

Since I purchased my TDK "Clear" Wireless Headphones I've not used my wired detecting set, I keep them for backup only. "Clear" is a special technology and it work just fine on my: GMT, Spectrum XLT & 6000D Whites machines (some of or maybe all of the Bluetooth headphones cause problems when used for detecting, usually a lag between the signal reaching your ears to where the coil was when the object was detected). The earphones do not need to be fancy, they just need to help you hear your targets easier. This hearing aid allows one to turn the threshold down a bit and if the set has a boost on it, weak signals can be picked out a bit better.

Me, I am All for Wireless headphones. Cons to wireless: four more AAA batteries (two in the earphones & two in the sender plugged into the earphone port on the machine, made mostly of plastic (not that sturdy so extra care should be taken during transport and use), keeping the sender from swinging down from the box (velcro on the box and the matching velcro on the back of the sender cures that), man they are hot in the summer! Ear buds Might be better for summer use IF one has good hearing (make sure the resistance is close to matching the resistance the detector requires).

At the moment my TDK Clear Technology Headphones are packed somewhere in a box and I can not locate the pictures I have of them. I purchased them from newegg.com ~ $45(look for $ off coupons). Best of luck in your quest to find the Best headphones for you!................63bkpkr

OP
OP
Rebel73153

Rebel73153

Aug 12, 2010
Roseburg,Oregon
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Thanks for you insight. I already went ahead and ordered a set of Nugget Busters from one of the Forum Vendors.

Lanny in AB

Gold Member
Apr 2, 2003
Alberta
Detector(s) used
Various Minelabs(5000, 2100, X-Terra 705, Equinox 800, Gold Monster), Falcon MD20, Tesoro Sand Shark, Gold Bug Pro, Makro Gold Racer.
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
I've used Gray Ghosts for years and love them.

Congratulations on your purchase, and you're a lucky man to have received such a nice write-up from 63 on those wireless headphones. I just might have to try those out sometime.

All the best,

Lanny

OP
OP
Rebel73153

Rebel73153

Aug 12, 2010
Roseburg,Oregon
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Yea, they do sound interesting. What do you think of the Falcon MD20? How far will it pick up a flake of gold? Do you think it is worth the money? Thanks for any info on it.

Lanny in AB

Gold Member
Apr 2, 2003
Alberta
Detector(s) used
Various Minelabs(5000, 2100, X-Terra 705, Equinox 800, Gold Monster), Falcon MD20, Tesoro Sand Shark, Gold Bug Pro, Makro Gold Racer.
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
If you want to work a very small area, or if you want to test for very small gold, that Falcon will get the job done. It has a very short learning curve, it's very sensitive, and it will definitely find gold, even underwater.

It's not a big ticket item, but it works very well for what it was designed for, and that's little jobs.

I've found nuggets and pickers with it, but I was looking for small gold, so the larger gold was an unexpected event.

On bedrock that's been running very good gold, the Falcon will sniff out the flakes and specks your other detector will miss as you can get the end of the Falcon's tiny probe (coil head) directly in contact with the gold (in places that will always be inaccessible to larger coils).

It's very slow going, but it will definitely find the gold. It's more of a prospecting tool than a mainline recovery tool.

I've got a picture of gold I found with the Falcon that I'll post. I also worked some small crevices I'd worked with my bigger detector and still found gold I'd missed with it.

If you have the money, I'd buy one and learn how to use it to its specific advantage (small work in tiny areas: bedrock cracks, crevices, small bedrock clean-up, prospecting prospective pay-dirt in dry areas far from water, etc.).

All the best,

Lanny

OP
OP
Rebel73153

Rebel73153

Aug 12, 2010
Roseburg,Oregon
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Thank you very much for that info on the Falcon. I have heard that they are Very fragile and break easily? Have you had any troubles with yours? That gold you are finding, is that in Alabama or do you travel elsewhere for it? After i get this Lobo figured out good and decide if i am really into this i may look more into the Falcon. I see used ones on occasion for under $100.
"nuther question for you or anyone else. As far as coils go for the Lobo. Is there any advantage to any of the other coils than the stock 5"x10" coil for gold nugget hunting?

OP
OP
Rebel73153

Rebel73153

Aug 12, 2010
Roseburg,Oregon
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Lanny, do you think the Falcon is really a lot better than the Garrett Pro Pointer? My Pro Pointer will pick up a little piece of #5 lead bird shot. Of course the blade has to be touching it for it to do it. Is the Falcon sensitive enough to pick up gold that small at least 1" away?

Lanny in AB

Gold Member
Apr 2, 2003
Alberta
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
If you do have a problem with your Falcon, just call the company. They are very good about dealing with any issues regarding them. They're a pretty simple construction, and there's just not that much to break. I guess if you smashed the control box with something heavy you'd be in serious trouble. On a point that needs consideration, the buttons move too easily on the control box if they get bumped, so I'd get a fabric washer to put under the knobs to make them more stable so they don't move every time they get bumped.

I don't use mine for a pinpointer. They are extremely sensitive, I believe much more so than a pinpointer. They are especially designed to be extra sensitive in order to detect tiny, tiny gold. #5 birdshot is very big compared to the tiny flakes the Falcon will see. I don't think the Garrett is as sensitive, but someone else would have to jump in here to clarify that, as I've never used one for prospecting.

If you can find a good used one for a hundred bucks, I'd buy one for sure.

All the best,

Lanny

http://www.treasurenet.com/forums/metal-detecting-gold/69-bedrock-gold-mysteries.html

63bkpkr

Silver Member
Aug 9, 2007
Southern California
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Each coil size has its own best use's, large coils for covering more area, small coils for going slower in trashy (lots of nails, foil, bottle caps, etc in the ground) areas or in areas that have a lot of obstacles (rocks, clumps of weeds). Each coil has its weaknesses and strengths (larger coils go deeper but may not be as sensitive to smaller items, small coils do not go as deep but will find smaller items). Then again different coil types are better in general or for special uses: concentric coils versus double D coils. A good selection of coils for any specific machine can be a worthwhile investment as by simply changing the coil the machines abilities can be enhanced for a specific location (soil mineralization, lots of trash in the ground, "Hunted Out Areas" and other conditions).

Hmmmm, can't download pictures, I will try on a separate post................63bkpkr

63bkpkr

Silver Member
Aug 9, 2007
Southern California
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
197_9727.JPG 198_9826.JPG

Different coils for two different machines: GMT gold detector on the left and Spectrum XLT coin shooter on the right.

In the approximate center of the XLT picture are the wireless earphones.

Have fun and best of success with your new hobby..............63bkpkr

OP
OP
Rebel73153

Rebel73153

Aug 12, 2010
Roseburg,Oregon
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Lanny and 63bkpkr, i appreciate all the help and info. Would still like to know if the Falcon will find small gold without having to be touching it with the probe? Will it detect a .33 gram flake at least 1" away from the probe in real life conditions? Again, thanks for the info and help. And 63bkpkr, those wireless headphone do look interesting.

Goodyguy

Gold Member
Mar 10, 2007
Arizona
Detector(s) used
Whites TM 808, Whites GMT, Tesoro Lobo Super Traq, Fisher Gold Bug 2, Suction Dredges, Trommels, Gold Vacs, High Bankers, Fluid bed Gold Traps, Rock Crushers, Sluices, Dry Washers, Miller Tables, Rp4
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Hi Rebel,

I use a set of Nugget Buster headphones that came with the slightly used GMT that I bought 5 years ago and they work pretty good.
So good in fact that I haven't seen the need to upgrade. However If I do get another set I will go wireless to end the hassle of having to take them off or unplug them every time I set the detector down.

GG~

OP
OP
Rebel73153

Rebel73153

Aug 12, 2010
Roseburg,Oregon
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Yea Goodyguy,
those wireless headphones do look like they would be nice. Thanks for the reply.

Lanny in AB

Gold Member
Apr 2, 2003
Alberta
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
For the Falcon, it depends on the size of the gold. It will absolutely find gold without touching it, but the beauty of the Falcon (in a prospecting role where there's no water available) is it will find very tiny gold simply by the probe end touching it. A point 33 gram flake is a third of a gram, right? You wouldn't have to touch that with the probe to get a signal. As far as picking it up an inch away, that would be a total guess on my part, and in the ground undisturbed, that's a whole other story. See if you can borrow one to test it on your .33 gram flake to see what happens. Perhaps a dealer will demo one on your flake for you. By the way, you can adjust the sensitivity of the probe as well.

So, it depends on the size of the gold. I've used the Falcon to find small flakes, and it doesn't have to touch it. In fact, when you buy a Falcon, it comes with a little card that has some different sizes of very small gold on it for you to practice your skills with. It also comes with magnetite and pyrite samples so can train yourself to hear the differing sounds.

All the best,

Lanny

JUNKER

Apr 7, 2012
SW FL,Copper Hill VA,Temple ME
Detector(s) used
XLT GrandmastercxIII Surfmaster PI
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Thanks for the advice 63 and the pic's I might get a set I also have a xlt. have you ever found any gold with the xlt or just the gmt Thanks again

AzViper

Bronze Member
Sep 30, 2012
Arizona - Is there any other state worth visiting
Detector(s) used
Fisher Gold Bug Pro, Nokta FORS Gold, Garrett ATX, Sun Ray Gold Pro Headphones, Royal Pick, Etc.
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
Everyone is going to say what they have are the best. My best advice is to go to a shop and try all the headphones you can and you make a sound decision.

Things to look for,

You need volume controls for left and right sides on the headphones as most MD's do not have volume controls.

Speakers need to be made of moisture resistant material. You will sweat...

Have the ability to switch the polarity which will make the headphones work with most MD's.

Most home audio headphones are anywhere from 2 to 16 ohms. MD headphones will typically be 150 ohms.

Leather covered cushions as vinyl will cause you to sweat.

You want headphones that cancel out all outside noise as you want to hear the faintest sound from below.

I mentioned the Sun Ray Pro Gold because they meet all above, but again you the user needs to go try out every model as everyone's ears are different.

T255.jpg T256.jpg

Last edited:

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Discussions