nugget necklace

dirtfisher1127

Aug 8, 2011
Found this at a thrift store a while back. I know that's not a garage sale, but it's the closest venue I could find!
The necklace is 16 1/2 inches long, 14 carat gold connecting chains, and sports 16 natural gold nuggets which test about 20-21 carat gold. It weighs in at a hefty 1.44 troy ounces.
Normally all their jewelry is in the $2-$5 range, but I guess they knew they had something good here 'cause they charged me $30 for this one! I almost put it back. NOT!!!

Attachments

• P1010084.JPG
    P1010084.JPG
    58.8 KB · Views: 195
OP
OP
D

dirtfisher1127

Aug 8, 2011
Thanks for all the kind remarks and all the "LIKES" I have received.
I did want to make mention of the fact that many of these thrift stores are run by volunteers who may not know a lot about jewelry or some other category. It's not that they're dumb, but just not an expert in all fields, as I know I'm certainly not! By the way, the clasp had been replaced with a gold-filled one at some point, which may have thrown them off. If and when I do find a super bargain (which is getting more and more infrequent) I try and leave a nice donation in the jar, because I know these people do the best they can, and are working for a good cause.

Last edited:

diggummup

Gold Member
Jul 15, 2004
Somewhere in the woods
Detector(s) used
Whites M6
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Very nice necklace. Thrift store finds are welcomed here. It's all about finding treasure, and that is a great piece! I agree that someone inexperienced at handling gold could have very well been thrown off by the marks on the clasp. Congrats!

OP
OP
D

dirtfisher1127

Aug 8, 2011
Very nice necklace. Thrift store finds are welcomed here. It's all about finding treasure, and that is a great piece! I agree that someone inexperienced at handling gold could have very well been thrown off by the marks on the clasp. Congrats!

Thanks very much for the kind remarks, diggummup. It is truly amazing to me what sometimes turns up in thrift stores (NOT counting the bargains someone else got before I arrived!)
SOME of them which I can remember are a Virginia two-piece buckle, a 1.5 carat European cut diamond ring set in gold, a 14k and moonstone pin , ruby encrusted poodle pin in 14k, and numerous pieces of sterling silver, just to name a few. You have to be patient and visit regularly, though!

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread