will7782

Dec 28, 2018
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

BennyV

Feb 22, 2021
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I’ll tell you what happened to the treasure. No clue how it got there.

This cabbage farmer starts working the land he was awarded for fighting for the British during the revolution (Samuel Ball) he stumbles across some or all of the treasure while planting/harvesting or notices some signs that lead to it. He ropes in two white guys who he gives some treasure to keep his name out of it. These guys can vouch for him or put up money for him if need be, which he can pay with his treasure. The end. By doing this he skirts any racially motivated issues about himself while keeping the lions share of the treasure.

Fast forward to the show. They are probably finding some original/historical workings on the island. They show producers are getting paid and the tourism industry will flourish because people will be willing to travel to this island for a glimpse of what is found - a living museum of sorts. Will they find scraps of stuff from all of the digs and history on that island? Sure. But little to no treasure. Nova Scotia government wins because there is no place to stay on the island, eat on the island, etc. it stimulates the local economy and they hope that people fall in love with Nova Scotia itself. Again win-win both for the producers of the show and the government.

n2mini

Jan 7, 2015
Triad NC
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
The witnesses that claimed to have seen it identified it as BASALT - "hard and fine-grained" - as hard, or harder than granite. Whereas soapstone, limestone or sandstone are "soft enough to be carved" they are easily discerned from basalt, and would have been useless for what it was claimed to have been used for - as a FLAT, SMOOTH SURFACE for pounding/smoothing out leather.

This person might have been wrong in guessing what the rock was made out of. I'm guessing if he saw it it had some carvings in it right? Which means it is soft enough to carve into.. May guess is years later when no one had been around doing any searching for a good while it was probably thought as there is no need to hold on to this rock any longer... there wasn't a museum or anything like that around and most people may not have believed the story to begin with... or did in the beginning and years later with no treasure found gave up that thinking...

n2mini

Jan 7, 2015
Triad NC
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I’ll tell you what happened to the treasure. No clue how it got there.

This cabbage farmer starts working the land he was awarded for fighting for the British during the revolution (Samuel Ball) he stumbles across some or all of the treasure while planting/harvesting or notices some signs that lead to it. He ropes in two white guys who he gives some treasure to keep his name out of it. These guys can vouch for him or put up money for him if need be, which he can pay with his treasure. The end. By doing this he skirts any racially motivated issues about himself while keeping the lions share of the treasure.

Fast forward to the show. They are probably finding some original/historical workings on the island. They show producers are getting paid and the tourism industry will flourish because people will be willing to travel to this island for a glimpse of what is found - a living museum of sorts. Will they find scraps of stuff from all of the digs and history on that island? Sure. But little to no treasure. Nova Scotia government wins because there is no place to stay on the island, eat on the island, etc. it stimulates the local economy and they hope that people fall in love with Nova Scotia itself. Again win-win both for the producers of the show and the government.

which might explain how he bought another island from one of the original 3 for 5 pounds. Might have been a cover up as to how much he really paid for it and they only showed it on paper as 5 pounds like we used to do years ago when buying a used car from someone to keep from paying a higher tax on it. You could just say I paid 500 bucks for it when you actually paid 2000. That is why now they go by a tax value book price at the DMV..

ECS

Banned
Mar 26, 2012
Ocala,Florida
Primary Interest:
Other
Always the maybe, could be, what if endless speculation sprung from imagined facts based on the original tale of a found depression in the ground.

HIO

Greenie
Oct 27, 2019
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
OK I'll play your game. Who is to say there is no stone? Prove that it doesn't/didn't exist. I know, it cannot be done.

One thing I will say. If I had the stone or a rubbing from it, I SURE WOULD NOT TELL ANYONE. Only a fool would.

Don't know why this is so hard to grasp. It is human nature.

I don’t think anybody is actually disputing whether the stone really existed. The question is whether the stone was devised as a gimmick to entice investors. This is a question we will most likely never truly know.

In regard to your second point, what is the benefit of keeping the information to yourself? What are the chances of you actually obtaining the rights to excavate the island? You also need to take into consideration that the stone may be fake. If it is not fake, then you need to consider that the island has been excavated for 200+ years. How useful will the stone really be in your hunt for treasure on the island (Who knows the inscription may not even be related to treasure)? The market is only going to bear a very limited price for the stone/information.

OP
OP
S

Singlestack Wonder

Bronze Member
Mar 28, 2014
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT Pro
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Since the entire area has been dug deep many times and absolutely nothing has ever been found (i.e. no vertical tunnels, log platforms, flood tunnels, etc.) in over 200 years, safe to say the treasure is just a legend perpetuated by folks.

The smith's cove area has been dug up endlessly as well proving that flood tunnels originating there never existed as reported by previous hoaxers.

Just a common island with common human habitation...

OP
OP
S

Singlestack Wonder

Bronze Member
Mar 28, 2014
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT Pro
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I don’t think anybody is actually disputing whether the stone really existed. The question is whether the stone was devised as a gimmick to entice investors. This is a question we will most likely never truly know.

In regard to your second point, what is the benefit of keeping the information to yourself? What are the chances of you actually obtaining the rights to excavate the island? You also need to take into consideration that the stone may be fake. If it is not fake, then you need to consider that the island has been excavated for 200+ years. How useful will the stone really be in your hunt for treasure on the island (Who knows the inscription may not even be related to treasure)? The market is only going to bear a very limited price for the stone/information.

+1000.....the stone was a hoax carved by folks seeking investors.....when the investors figured out the scam and stopped sending money, the stone was tossed in the trash...

Al D

Bronze Member
Jul 23, 2011
Gold canyon AZ
Detector(s) used
DJI Air 2S
Primary Interest:
Cache Hunting
You would have thought that something so mysterious and cryptic would have at least had a rubbing made...if there were any.
It sounds like the old excuse....the dog ate my homework.

Al D

Bronze Member
Jul 23, 2011
Gold canyon AZ
Detector(s) used
DJI Air 2S
Primary Interest:
Cache Hunting
Everybody has a GRAND story to get investors to invest in them. (No different then we doctor up our resumes.) Be it a new car company, Dot.com, stocks/bonds, restaurant, the next great metal detector, etc etc... As the investor it's a matter of risk vs reward usually.. Granted no one should Go All In without very good info on the investment but if your just throwing pocket change to them then it's not as big of a deal to take the chance. Till the Lagina's crew, I don't think anyone ever walked away from the island with more money then they came with. Every time money ran out people left, other then Dan and Fred who happened to live there...

The supposedly first written article in the mid 1800's ( 1857-1857 ) from what I would think is a very old man who at this point had no reason to lie about it. He could have easily confessed it a hoax if it was all a made up story. He was not going to profit any by carrying on the story so why lie about. Granted maybe he did but maybe he didn't... Doesn't mean there is still treasure there or ever was for that matter..
A very good point, if I may expand it a bit
it only takes one kernel of a false story to start off with, others who come later will tell what they believe to be the truth, including their own experiences, this is where the story line gets muddy, many of the accounts are “true” from the observers standpoint, yet based entirely on a false premise.

n2mini

Jan 7, 2015
Triad NC
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Always the maybe, could be, what if endless speculation sprung from imagined facts based on the original tale of a found depression in the ground.

It's got to be that way as I and no one knows for sure. I'm not going to be like some of ya'll and post everything as if it is a fact.
Perfect example is Mr. Singlestack's post #557 where is says and I quote--- "Since the entire area has been dug deep many times and absolutely nothing has ever been found (i.e. no vertical tunnels, log platforms, flood tunnels, etc.) in over 200 years, safe to say the treasure is just a legend perpetuated by folks".--

In Robert Dunfield's diggings there are pics with a vertical shaft somewhat exposed in them. This is how someone words that he is stating as fact are not facts..There is picture proof of it. Been posted on this site many times... vertical shafts.jpg Dan and Robert.jpg

Also as you see in the pics while it is a fairly deep hole it is not very wide past 50-75' lets alone where he is standing in one of them

n2mini

Jan 7, 2015
Triad NC
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
it only takes one kernel of a false story to start off with, others who come later will tell what they believe to be the truth, including their own experiences, this is where the story line gets muddy, many of the accounts are “true” from the observers standpoint, yet based entirely on a false premise.

There are atleast a few different stories as to why the original started digging. Some even say they weren't the firsts ones to be on the island digging for treasure. Not sure if they were digging in the MP area or else where. If you believe the original did start digging and found any of the stuff they claimed to be finding it doesn't really matter why they started digging there. Granted that doesn't mean there is or was treasure there though they claim there was alittle found.. At this point it is hard to tell which parts of any of the stories are fact and which parts have been embellished some... Soooooooooo if you have the money the Laginas have it's worth the risk to find out. To most folks that believe the stories they can't afford to go search so it's not worth the risk to invest in it.. The Lagina's and investors supposedly spent roughly 15 million dollars just to gain right and permits to be able to dig before the first tv show ever aired. So I see how they might be willing to drag this out a bit to recoup their investment...

OP
OP
S

Singlestack Wonder

Bronze Member
Mar 28, 2014
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT Pro
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
It's got to be that way as I and no one knows for sure. I'm not going to be like some of ya'll and post everything as if it is a fact.
Perfect example is Mr. Singlestack's post #557 where is says and I quote--- "Since the entire area has been dug deep many times and absolutely nothing has ever been found (i.e. no vertical tunnels, log platforms, flood tunnels, etc.) in over 200 years, safe to say the treasure is just a legend perpetuated by folks".--

In Robert Dunfield's diggings there are pics with a vertical shaft somewhat exposed in them. This is how someone words that he is stating as fact are not facts..There is picture proof of it. Been posted on this site many times... View attachment 1906622 View attachment 1906623

Also as you see in the pics while it is a fairly deep hole it is not very wide past 50-75' lets alone where he is standing in one of them

No vertical shaft from the fictional treasure vault has ever been found. The only mysterious tunnels and shafts ever found were from previous diggers/hoax promoters....

n2mini

Jan 7, 2015
Triad NC
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
So lets word it that way for now on. So it's not confusing to what you really mean. Others would say the MP was the original shaft/hole so there wouldn't be any others, unless the flood tunnels were real...

ECS

Banned
Mar 26, 2012
Ocala,Florida
Primary Interest:
Other
The original version was that the three found a depression in the ground and had the bright idea there must be buried treasure.
In Florida, if one comes upon a depression in the ground, the first thought is not treasure, but SINKHOLE!

n2mini

Jan 7, 2015
Triad NC
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
There is also a story out there that one of Captian Kidds men told Mcginnis that they buried treasure on Oak Island, so if that is true and he did find an depression on an island that had no other depressions on it I can see how he thought he might be on to something.. Keep in mind now a days we all have seen atleast in pictures hundreds of sinkholes. In 1795 they probably had never seen one...even if it didn't have the tackle block hanging from the tree...

gazzahk

Bronze Member
Nov 14, 2015
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
There is also a story out there that one of Captian Kidds men told Mcginnis that they buried treasure on Oak Island, so if that is true and he did find an depression on an island that had no other depressions on it I can see how he thought he might be on to something.. Keep in mind now a days we all have seen atleast in pictures hundreds of sinkholes. In 1795 they probably had never seen one...even if it didn't have the tackle block hanging from the tree...
Yep... Something started the legend. It is a fascinating story. 200+ years of looking for a treasure that never been shown to exist. The early searchers must of believed something. I personally like the descendants story. But I accept that there is no evidence that it is true.

I am just stunned that the next group has always thought that they could find something the last group didn't. When none of the searchers have ever found anything of value.

Dan and Fred for example. They seemed like smart enough people. Why did they think treasure was there. There was no evidence there was?

I am not looking for an answer to that question. But the story of Oak island is amazing.

DaveVanP

Oct 5, 2018
Coffeyville, KS
Detector(s) used
Minelab XTerra 705
Fisher F44
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
OK I'll play your game. Who is to say there is no stone? Prove that it doesn't/didn't exist. I know, it cannot be done.

One thing I will say. If I had the stone or a rubbing from it, I SURE WOULD NOT TELL ANYONE. Only a fool would.

Don't know why this is so hard to grasp. It is human nature.

There is NO proof such a stone ever existed, so there is no need to prove it didn't. I don't have to prove I am NOT Napoleon...because there is no "proof" that I am...

n2mini

Jan 7, 2015
Triad NC
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
but weren't you yesterday making the post that the rock was supposedly made of Basalt and would have been so hard that any carvings on it wouldn't have been rubbed off? So which was it no rock ever or so hard any carving on it would not be rubbed off..

OP
OP
S

Singlestack Wonder

Bronze Member
Mar 28, 2014
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT Pro
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
#580 posts and still not one factual piece of evidence....

Status
Not open for further replies.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread