Detector(s) used
Minelab Equinox 800
Minelab Explorer II
Garrett MASTER HUNTER 7
Garrett ADS DEEPSEEKER
Compass X100
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
I don't think there is any. the women who owns the island allowed a crew in sometime ago. they drilled but found nothing. Camera crews were on site and they filmed it. They left empty handed and the owner said she was satisfied that the treasure was going to stay where it is for a very long time.

boomer

Jul 8, 2003
kentucky
Detector(s) used
army all terrain
The Plot

The knights Templar and there ships,

This book took a lot of work and is one of the best i have read. There are several pages on pirates, take note of the place names.

On the first page, on the left, click - Main and it will take you to the story about the Knights Templar. Did you know they had ships and that they may have sailed to north america. ( AHHH, the plot thickens).

Pirates - Buccaneers And Marooners Of The Spanish Main
Howard Pyle's Book of Pirates - Chapter I ... and their only chance, and they determined to take the Spanish ship or to die in the attempt. ... rose to distinction, men whose names, something tarnished and rusted by the ...
www.skullandcrossbones.org/articles/pyle-01.htm

kudo623

Jun 24, 2011
Quakertown PA
Detector(s) used
Garret GTI 2500 2BOX
Primary Interest:
Cache Hunting
This is a fascinating story over many many years since it was first discovered in 1795.
Last I heard was that they were looking to drill more bore holes to map out the
bottom of the pit. An underground vault located at some 230 feet + was actually penetrated by Dan Blankenship in the 70's by drilling
a Bore Hole (10X) about 140 feet from the original pit.
A camera was sent down to observe the vault and there really wasn't any treasure found.
A diver also went down and noted that it was a man made vault but there wasn't any treasure
there.
I want to believe that there is also treasure there, but I think any treasure that may have been there
is now gone.
The History Channel may be the most current post.

kudo623

Jun 24, 2011
Quakertown PA
Detector(s) used
Garret GTI 2500 2BOX
Primary Interest:
Cache Hunting
Yeah I believed the same thing for many years, and would still like to but I haven't seen
anything after all that work and millions of dollars spent and 6 people dead.

I think the biggest disappointment was finally breaching the vault area some 230' below
and finding nothing.
Now there was some talk about a cement platform on the vault floor?
But I think the reason why me and so many people had believed there is something down
there is because of the many trip points/booby traps that were first set off during excavation,
most notably the water tunnels, which protected the vault.

However, it should be noted that the vault had been previously penetrated by some other
means because it was flooded even before the waterway trip points were set off during
excavation of the original pit.

This was proven when Blankenship penetrated the vault by a secondary borehole (10x)
140 feet from the original pit in the 70's, and what he found was an empty vault
with evidence that it was flooded for some time, even before the main pit was even dug.
Plans were changed or something happened back then to extricate whatever was down
there by a secondary shaft/tunnel.
Based on the research I have done on this site, this seems like the only conclusion
to me.

Connecticut Sam

Bronze Member
Sep 28, 2007
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
#6... Are you saying that there was treasure, and somebody dig it up? Great story.

kudo623

Jun 24, 2011
Quakertown PA
Detector(s) used
Garret GTI 2500 2BOX
Primary Interest:
Cache Hunting
Hi There is only one scenario that can be deduced based on the empty vault:

A Hoax.
Now there are many people who will still believe that it is not a hoax, it doesn't matter
that nothing has been found and that the vault is empty--you can't convince them.
Why?
Because a hoax is just that--a little truth mixed in with a lie.
The little truth is that there may have been a chest or two of valuables put into the pit
in order for one to be convinced of the hoax that there is in fact 'booty' at the bottom.
If there was 'booty' then why did they need to spell it out in a cryptogram?
'Forty foot below 2,000,000 pounds lie beneath'.
'Lie' is the operative word here.
Pirates don't play games like that--but the cryptogram just fed the lie.
There was overkill of effort made to convince someone of the 'treasure' Why?
It was just to conceal the fact that there was none.
Treasure 'trinkets' that may have been put in chests in the pit was designed to mislead and misinform of a bigger 'booty'.
But what really lied beneath the pirates thought back then the truth would be sealed with them--
not so because Blankenship discovered otherwise--an empty vault.

Connecticut Sam

Bronze Member
Sep 28, 2007
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
#9... That means that a lot of people lost a lot of money and time looking for nothing. Thank you for you story.

bearbqd

Bronze Member
Jun 20, 2007
Shenandoah Valley
Detector(s) used
Minelab EXP II w/ Sunray X-1 probe, Garrett AT Pro/Propointer
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I just don't think someone would have made a 230 foot shaft with booby traps just to deceive. That's a heck of a lot of work for nothing.

Voice of Reason

Sep 20, 2011
Them Thar Hills
Tis' quite a mystery.

"['Forty foot below 2,000,000 pounds lie beneath'.
'Lie' is the operative word here.]"

Yeah, and the 2,000,000 pounds of earth which are above the lie beneath. The "wording" is questionable for sure.

But as bearbqd points out, some amazing engineering and labor to perpetuate a mere hoax??

We can send a man to the Moon, robots to Mars...we can drill for oil several miles beneath the ocean floor, but we can't solve the mystery of Oak Island?? :dontknow:

10claw

Aug 16, 2009
ssooo now it's my turn. they (whoever) placed it there but also went back and recovered it, probably the retriever was only an
accomplice in the beginning and had to restore the traps to fool the real owner.
there is one reason for signs and symbols and that is for the owner to go back for whatever he placed there.
pirates??? would you trust one? this was most likely the templars because they were really secretive. BUT, bad apples in every barrel.

GaBnn3

Dec 10, 2004
It is a little known fact that a Knight Templar, of clan Gunn, is buried in Medford, Ma. The Henry Sinclair party left left Scotland in the 1300's never to be heard from again. The carving of a broken sword on the marker stone indicates a fallen knight. There certainly was much history to this continent that has not been recorded. The Templars were an extremely wealthy group who saw wealth as a source of power, which they were skilled at using. One can easily imagine their need to carry a fortune with them to continue their trade where ever the landed. A route ultimately reaching the Mass coast likely passed by Oak Island. This could have been seen as a safe place to stash their wealth while they searched out a new homeland. The Templars engineering skills were legendary, leaving good reason to suspect them as the builders of this money pit. They never did establish themselves here, but I for one believe they are the builders of the pit.

Frankn

Gold Member
Mar 21, 2010
Maryland
Detector(s) used
XLT , surfmaster PI , HAYS 2Box , VIBRA-TECTOR
This money pit story is is getting a bit long in the tooth. The pit is like an old empty safe in a collapsed bank building. The pit has been explored several times with maybe one claimed gold chain link for the large sum of money spent. Now the pit has caved in and the exact location is now in question. It is now only a money pit to the investors. Let it RIP. Frank

Frankn

Gold Member
Mar 21, 2010
Maryland
Detector(s) used
Diggem, That was a very interesting article. That beach area at Jacksonport might prove very interesting to detect . How about a couple of us get together and hit that beach when the weather is good. I dought if just one sword was lost in that area. Frank

fetcher

Sep 24, 2011
Maryland
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Regarding the Viking thing, there are anchor holes (mooring stones) for Viking boats found up and down the east coast.

Frankn

Gold Member
Mar 21, 2010
Maryland
Detector(s) used
I think the stones predate the Vikings. They had the use of iron. Frank

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread