Oak Shade / Tabernacle

J.P.

Greenie
Oct 27, 2008
Medford, NJ
Detector(s) used
Ace 150
Saw something intresting Sunday afternoon. I was driving past the corner of Oak Shade and Tabernacle, the area where an old Inn use to be. I saw a truck parked in the woods and two people with shovels digging. I thought to myself, this is a historical site......what in the world are these people doing. I was going to stop and talk to them, but didn't, and kept on driving. The following day I drove by there again on the way to pick up my son from school. I noticed something strange about the area. I stopped this time and took a look. The two men have begun unearthing the remains of the old inn. They have got a pretty good section of one of the corners completely unearthed, and boy does it look cool. I don't know who they are, or even if it is legal to be doing what they are doing. So if you are in the area, stop and take a look. I think they are only working the site on the weekends, so next weekend I may stop by and see if they need help. Of course bringing along my MD.

ballbuster

Sep 27, 2006
J.P.,

Thats really interesting. That area has several neat sites I'd like to hunt but have not been able to get permission to do so. The "Old Brick House" and the indian reservation area are a couple of other places close by. I'll be sure to keep an eye on the progress.

Jim

OP
OP
J.P.

J.P.

Greenie
Oct 27, 2008
Medford, NJ
Detector(s) used
Ace 150
ballbuster said:
J.P.,

Thats really interesting. That area has several neat sites I'd like to hunt but have not been able to get permission to do so. The "Old Brick House" and the indian reservation area are a couple of other places close by. I'll be sure to keep an eye on the progress.

Jim

Where is the "Old Brick House"? Is it a historical sight or privately owned?

West Jersey Detecting

Gold Member
Oct 23, 2006
Philadelphia Area
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Nokta Legend, Excalibur 1000/II (hybrid) , Teknetics T2 SE
Primary Interest:
Other
Hmmmm,

My office is right up the road from there. I thought I knew most of the people who detect in the area. There are a couple of clowns from Gloucester Co. I met a while back who have no respect for the MD Code of Ethics. Perhaps it is them? In my experience these well known sites are almost never productive. Most of these sites were hit hard in the 1970's.

Maybe I will swing by Sunday morning... I think you mean Flyatt

I stick to the "unknown" sites, or private property (with permission) and do alright.

Neil

Attachments

• Flyatt.JPG
    Flyatt.JPG
    51.1 KB · Views: 345

ballbuster

Sep 27, 2006
The "old brick house" is on Jackson road (oak shade) on the left going toward Atco. Nothing left now but the cellar hole full of building material. It sits next to the horse farm and the corner of the corn field. There use to be a historic marker but it may have been torn down. Its on private properity; not sure of the owner.

ballbuster

Sep 27, 2006
Road past the location of the old inn Saturday the 29th. Noticed "No trespassing " signs all over the place. Maybe the activity there recently has caused some problems.

West Jersey Detecting

Gold Member
Oct 23, 2006
Philadelphia Area
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Other
ballbuster said:
Road past the location of the old inn Saturday the 29th. Noticed "No trespassing " signs all over the place. Maybe the activity there recently has caused some problems.

I hope that is the case, but the truth is that every year at this time new "NO TRESPASSING" signs are posted all over to keep hunters out.

ballbuster

Sep 27, 2006
Neil, If you know that corner there isn't much space to hunt. Probably less than an acer.

Jim

ballbuster

Sep 27, 2006

This is a picture of the old Brick House that use to be on Oak Shade Rd. in Tabernacle.

Attachments

• old house.jpg
    old house.jpg
    96.3 KB · Views: 252

ballbuster

Sep 27, 2006
For those interested in the Oak Shad road sites. The corner where the old Inn was located is now taped off and there appears to be some excavation going on. Haven't actually had a chance to talk to anyone on site yet. I'll post more info when I find out whats going on.

Jim

West Jersey Detecting

Gold Member
Oct 23, 2006
Philadelphia Area
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Other
ballbuster said:
For those interested in the Oak Shad road sites. The corner where the old Inn was located is now taped off and there appears to be some excavation going on. Haven't actually had a chance to talk to anyone on site yet. I'll post more info when I find out whats going on.

Jim

It has been that way since a few days after this was first posted.

ballbuster

Sep 27, 2006
Thanks Neil. I retired August of last year and use to make that drive every day. I was out that way a couple of weeks ago and noticed. Guess I better get out more often.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread