Obama Coin

Rich Hartford

Silver Member
Nov 27, 2008
For the past two weeks I've gotten gold colored clad Kennedy Halves with Obama's mug stuck over the face of the coin in my boxes. Anyone else get one of these things? I was going to flush them, but I'm thinking that they could be worth something,like old campaign buttons are. Probably be popular item among the rats that voted for him. Any thoughts?
HH
Rich

Upvote 0

bootybay

Gold Member
Aug 9, 2007
NJ
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
EXCAL 2, SOV. GT
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
see if you can remove the paint.. myself I would toss it..lol..

AGCoinHunter

Bronze Member
Aug 13, 2009
Detector(s) used
ACE 250 (MD) Bare hands (CRH)
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I hope they are not the ones I find and throw back. My immediate response is to pile them up in the driveway and relieve my self on them. Then I toss them back into the dump bag and run them through the machine.

d2arcing

Bronze Member
Jun 22, 2009
they sell them on ebay... but are made up stuff i guess. dont really make anything tho

golden silver

Silver Member
Oct 22, 2007
Hampton Roads, VA.
Detector(s) used
bounty hunter sharp shooter 2, minelab sovereign xs 2a pro
I would clean that nastiness up right away and restore the coin to its original look. But that's just me.

golden silver

puckhead

Apr 28, 2007
Detector(s) used
Garrett GTI 2500
Rich,

I think if you look into them you may find that someone made quite a bit cash off them. If it's what I think it is, there was a milionaire shark on ABC's "Shark Tank" that made money on an Obama coin. Not sure if it's the same as what you found, but I wouldn't be suprised. By the way, I hope that I'm not the DH or paint chip eater but if so I'll take it with a grain of salt and wish HH to all.

jrf30

Bronze Member
May 7, 2006
CO, AZ
Detector(s) used
dfx, Ryedale!
Rich Hartford said:
For the past two weeks I've gotten gold colored clad Kennedy Halves with Obama's mug stuck over the face of the coin in my boxes. Anyone else get one of these things? I was going to flush them, but I'm thinking that they could be worth something,like old campaign buttons are. Probably be popular item among the rats that voted for him. Any thoughts?
HH
Rich

THAT would be enough to get me to stop searching halves! GAG!

jeff of pa

Super Moderator
Staff member
Dec 19, 2003
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Rich Hartford said:
HH
Rich

Sorry to hear that Rich :(

Hopefully it was just a Temporary Nightmare !

A Blow Torch will Wipe them Clean.
then reroll them.
& Hopefully the bank will
consider them damaged enough to
to Send them to the Mint
for destruction.

Cherryman68

Feb 19, 2009
Henderson Tx
Detector(s) used
Whites IV
Wow. You didn't just stir the hornets nest, you landed a flying drop kick lol. I say sell them. Make a little money back that he took from some one who helped put him there.

Jeep

Bronze Member
Mar 27, 2008
32°46′58″N 96°48′14″W
Detector(s) used
My other detector is a helicopter
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
MMmmmm A colorized half, LOL

Sell them on fleabay or roll em and dump um.

I would take them to the range and use them as the center ringer on my targets :wink:

enamel7

Gold Member
Apr 16, 2005
North Carolina
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT Gold
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Maybe the banks think we will stop searching halves if enough of these make it into circulation. Can you say pocket change we don't need. ;D

apush

Bronze Member
Dec 21, 2009
U.S.A.
Detector(s) used
ACE 250; Lone Star
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Mr. Hartford,
Keep them. As a professional historian, I would say keep them. This is not a political issue but a monetary one. History is funny; that is, a non-popular president today is the savior of the world tomorrow. So many Americans deplored Franklin D. Roosevelt in his day (especially the conservatives), but many today considered him a hero. It's just timing, so perhaps just toss them aside in your "not sure what to do with pile."

my 2 cents,

apush :read2:

silverfinder

Dec 31, 2006
I found one last week and one this week. Re-rolled them and washed my hands with strong soap and hot water. Then I took an anti-nausea pill.

apush

Bronze Member
Dec 21, 2009
U.S.A.
Detector(s) used
ACE 250; Lone Star
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Okay guys, I better just stick to discussing coins :laughing7:. Sorry if I offended anyone.

OP
OP
Rich Hartford

Rich Hartford

Silver Member
Nov 27, 2008
apush said:
Okay guys, I better just stick to discussing coins :laughing7:. Sorry if I offended anyone.

All views are interesting.
I'm going to keep the coins. I'll bet I can find a teller/collector who will a trade 90% for one.
HH
Rich

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread