Observations deep in the forest........

bigscoop

Gold Member
Jun 4, 2010
Wherever there be treasure!
Detector(s) used
Older blue Excal with full mods, Equinox 800.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I was sitting in my tree stand yesterday evening watching a variety of animals move about the woods and I made the following observations:

Possums; they move about the forest like they’re constantly lost, first this way, then that way, then back over there, frequent pauses to take a look around as if they can’t remember where they’ve just been.

Pine Squirrels; the neighborhood busy bodies, always dashing about here and there, then up to a high perch to take a look around, always chattering at anything that appears to be out of place. Then the fast track back to the ground so they can dash across the forest floor in search of something else to scream at.

Turkeys; stealth on the ground, disaster in the air. How something can move about the forest with so much grace and yet never exceed anything beyond crash landings in trees is beyond me. Here we have a creature that silently tiptoes through the forest but sounds like a crashing helicopter when landing in trees.

Owl; the professor of the forest, the great observer. Divine and steadfast he sits in his perch silently taking in every motion and sound as far as his eyes can see, only to take flight and land on the ground like an NFL linebacker pouncing on fumble. Reminded me of those landing fighter jets being yanked to a sudden stop by the catch cable on an aircraft carrier.

Rabbit; Mr. Happy in search of those hidden Easter eggs. Perky and bright they’re always hopping here and there, from one lump of brush and grass to the next they’re always in search of better tasting greenery. Odd thing is, I’ve never seen a rabbit walk, seems they’re always hopping. Can they walk?

Hmmm…..wonder what sights this evening will bring?

OP
OP
bigscoop

bigscoop

Gold Member
Jun 4, 2010
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Will be taking my camera into the woods with me from now on. I didn't see it, but my son swears he saw a snow white albino coyote last evening. Would love to get a picture of that!

Ray S S

Silver Member
Nov 18, 2007
Port Huron, Mi.
Detector(s) used
Freedom Ace Coin Commander and Ace 250
Hello, Bigscoop, Nice post. It's interesting watching woodland creatures when they are unaware they are being watched.

Thanks for sharing.

Ray

OP
OP
bigscoop

bigscoop

Gold Member
Jun 4, 2010
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Humming bird: had to be the basis for the fairy in Peter Pan. They arrive quickly, hover in their tiny space for a moment as if to say, "hello", and then they swiftly zip away like a misguided bottle rocket.

S

stefen

So many people are not observant of their surroundings...too impatient...not high on their priority list...

:thumbsup: :thumbsup: :thumbsup:

Chug And Red

Gold Member
Feb 18, 2010
Vancouver WA
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Chug)Whites Classic 5 ID, (Red Whites Coin master Pro)

Chug and Reds New Additions

Give It Up>> Garrett's AT Pro
Buttercup>> Garrett's Ace 250
Show Me the Money>> Garrets Ace 400
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Run bambi they are on to you!!!! LOL Chug!!!!!

OP
OP
bigscoop

bigscoop

Gold Member
Jun 4, 2010
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Chug and Red said:
Run bambi they are on to you!!!! LOL Chug!!!!!

DEER: the young ones are like small children, they're curious and playful and they frequently find themselves entertaining danger and potential trouble. The older ones are the size of a man and yet they can pass through a forest as quiet as a mouse and often completely unseen, even when being looked for. However, I can tell you from experience that all of them have wide rumps and white tails that can pass through a forest at the speed of light! :laughing7:

fossis

Gold Member
Jan 5, 2007
eastern Oklahoma
Detector(s) used
Whites Prizm 11 & White's XLT
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Watching the animals in their 'natural enviroment' is so relaxing & entertaining.
I watched some fawns in a pasture playing & running, it was a sight to see. :icon_sunny:

Fossis.............

truckinbutch

Silver Member
Feb 15, 2008
Morgantown,WV
Detector(s) used
Bounty Hunter Landstar
All critters are so interesting to watch . I no longer hunt , myself , and neither does my nextdoor neighbor . Between my yard and his mix of yard and woods we maintain a 12 acre santuary for all animals that don't start causing damage within the confines . This is a structured habitat for preserving
some seed animals .
If they are beyond our structured limits they are fair game for those that still hunt . My own farm is open to hunting as long as the hunters understand the idea of the sanctuary and the need for it .
Jim

cheese

Silver Member
Jan 9, 2005
South Georgia
How about the raccoons? They are a comedy act, like a teenager getting into something when mom is in the next room over. Also love it when they're looking at things they've never seen them before and are thoroughly interested in them. They use their hands almost like a human does and constantly pause to look side to side or over their shoulder.

I like foxes too. They walk through the woods like a man in the grocery store. They know exactly where they are headed, and they aren't wasting time getting there. They aren't distracted and travel fairly straight lines going to a place only know to them.

Armadillos will make you think you are about to be bigfoot's supper. They crash through the woods like drunken marathon runners. No way an armadillo will ever sneak up on you, bouncing meat filled basketballs they are.

Squirrels like to "tell on me" or alert the forest that I'm there when they discover me. Lil' buggers...

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread