Observing

twistidd

Bronze Member
Nov 11, 2007
Chicago
Detector(s) used
White's Matrix M6 w/ Sun-Ray DX-1, 950 coil and 6x10 DD, Minelab Excalibur II, Garrett Ace 250, Garmin Etrex GPS
I hope you guys have been able to hold your own this last week. This deep snow and these cold temps sure are pretty depressing.

Not sure about you guys, but I've noticed an increase in the amount of dug coins in circulation. And by dug, I mean dug and not really cleaned. I was over by my sister's place the other day and noticed a gallon-sized Ziplock bag full of money, mostly change. My sister told me it was random change they were saving for my nephew's college fund. Being nosey, I picked up the bag and immediately saw a dime that looked different from the rest. It had that "look". I fished it out and noticed it was a 64' Rosey. Cool! So I dumped the whole bag out onto the counter and looked for more. I couldn't believe how many uncleaned, dug coins there were in there! I jokingly told my sister that they were mine that I was just too lazy to clean. I looked for more silver dimes but they were all clad. Then I looked through the pennies and found 6 wheaties (all clean-circulated). I went through the nickles and counted 4 dug nickels. When I rubbed one, it shined more than the rest. I rinsed it off in the sink, and had a 44-P war nickel. Not bad!

Just thought I'd post a little something here to help pass the season away. Anyone here doing any CRH'ing?

Cheers.

Joe

p2c

Bronze Member
Apr 14, 2009
Matteson, IL
Detector(s) used
Minelab Etrac and Grey Ghost NDT; Garrett Pointer Pro
I did some coin role hunting over Christmas, just pennies. I found probably a good 5 out of a box that I knew were dug and not cleaned. Also, I found several, including a wheat that looked like they had been tumbled.

I clean all my clad in the rock tumbler, I just think it is unkind not to. Plus, at my bank the teller puts the change in the counting machine. I couldn't imagine the look I'd get if I gave him $100 in dirty money (I get enough of a look with $100 in change).

But it serves the mystery dumper right if they missed a silver nickel (who knows maybe the silver rosies came from them too) due to laziness.

My dad has a favorite story of when he was out doing Geology field work and a colleague found a $1 bill that someone used as field toilet paper. His colleague picked it up with tongs and took it later to a change machine and exchanged it for 4 clean quarters. You've got to understand while although his colleague was kind of cheap that way, it was the highest delight to his sense of humor to do this. So clean your hands when you handle money.

snowskate

Dec 18, 2009
Bloomington, IL
Detector(s) used
E-Trac w/ Sunray Probe, Ace 250
I did a few grand in halves and got about a roll of 40% and a few 2002+. The last couple boxes have been skunks so I got annoyed and haven't done it in the last month. I'd do it more but I hate dumping them off lol, I feel like a jackass lugging in 500+ in halves. The tellers can barely carry them to the counting machines. I'd rather go dirt fishing anyday, can't wait until the ground thaws.

I have been using the Etrac Emulator to pass the time and try to learn it (I'm buying one soon)
http://www.thebeepgoeson.com/display.asp?page=E-Trac_Emulator_ZIP

Anyone use this before, and does anyone have any custom .ptrn files I could check out? I have all the ones here:

http://www.thebeepgoeson.com/display.asp?page=E-Trac_Patterns

OP
OP
twistidd

twistidd

Bronze Member
Nov 11, 2007
Chicago
Detector(s) used
White's Matrix M6 w/ Sun-Ray DX-1, 950 coil and 6x10 DD, Minelab Excalibur II, Garrett Ace 250, Garmin Etrex GPS
p2c said:
I did some coin role hunting over Christmas, just pennies. I found probably a good 5 out of a box that I knew were dug and not cleaned. Also, I found several, including a wheat that looked like they had been tumbled.

I clean all my clad in the rock tumbler, I just think it is unkind not to. Plus, at my bank the teller puts the change in the counting machine. I couldn't imagine the look I'd get if I gave him $100 in dirty money (I get enough of a look with $100 in change).

But it serves the mystery dumper right if they missed a silver nickel (who knows maybe the silver rosies came from them too) due to laziness.

My dad has a favorite story of when he was out doing Geology field work and a colleague found a $1 bill that someone used as field toilet paper. His colleague picked it up with tongs and took it later to a change machine and exchanged it for 4 clean quarters. You've got to understand while although his colleague was kind of cheap that way, it was the highest delight to his sense of humor to do this. So clean your hands when you handle money.

That reminds me of the time I was in Rogers Park to hit an old house that was slated for demolition the very next day. I had to park on a busy street and walk with my detector a block down to the side street the house was on. At the curb was a dollar bill that apparently had been used to pick up dog $h!t (suppose it could have been human $h!t but it just made more sense to assume it was from a canine). It was too tempting so I picked it up with a twig and walked it to my car and kind of flicked it onto the floor of the car. After I detected the tiny yard to no avail (and, ironically, stepping in a wet pile of dog $h!t in the process), I drove home and put the unclean dollar bill away and forgot about it. Months later, it was rediscovered and I tried to pass it on to my boss at the time. Man, it was hilarious. You had to see the look on his face as he unraveled the bill and saw it was covered in dried dusty dog poo. I was on the floor laughing.

Anyways.

p2c

Bronze Member
Apr 14, 2009
Matteson, IL
Detector(s) used
Snowskate,
I used the Etrac emulator, I think that it's good to learn the control layout, but that is really it. What will do better for you, since you have the Sunray Probe, is take your coins you have (silver of different denominations, etc) and use the sunray probe on them. In my opinion learning the tones is what is the biggest thing to learn. The emulator isn't quite right. Also others will pipe in, but the current pattern I use, I just set up in quickmask discriminate FE 25 and below (this is debatable some say 17, 20, 27) and I discriminate CO 10 and below (you may loose some low conductors like platinum rings or 3 cent nickels). The "coins pattern" that is stock to the Etrac will definitely miss some coins depending on ground conditions.
Andy Sabisch has a pattern online here: http://www.findmall.com/read.php?63,894336,894336#msg-894336 also, note FE-CO numbers are only secondary, hunt by tones. On deep targets the #'s can really vary especially the FE numbers. That being said, here is a helpful chart of FE-CO numbers: http://www.findmall.com/read.php?63,820520. I just lurk that site myself... There's also a minelabowners website which I joined, but there are different levels of membership. To get anything helpful you have to $$$, which I don't.
-Jon

p2c

Bronze Member
Apr 14, 2009
Matteson, IL
Detector(s) used
twistidd said:
p2c said:

That reminds me of the time I was in Rogers Park to hit an old house that was slated for demolition the very next day. I had to park on a busy street and walk with my detector a block down to the side street the house was on. At the curb was a dollar bill that apparently had been used to pick up dog $h!t (suppose it could have been human $h!t but it just made more sense to assume it was from a canine). It was too tempting so I picked it up with a twig and walked it to my car and kind of flicked it onto the floor of the car. After I detected the tiny yard to no avail (and, ironically, stepping in a wet pile of dog $h!t in the process), I drove home and put the unclean dollar bill away and forgot about it. Months later, it was rediscovered and I tried to pass it on to my boss at the time. Man, it was hilarious. You had to see the look on his face as he unraveled the bill and saw it was covered in dried dusty dog poo. I was on the floor laughing.

Anyways.

This may just be me, but psychologically dog sh.. is less disturbing than human sh.. Giving your boss a bill with dog sh.. on it is funny. Giving your boss a bill with human sh.. is disturbing.

OP
OP
twistidd

twistidd

Bronze Member
Nov 11, 2007
Chicago
Detector(s) used
p2c said:
twistidd said:
p2c said:

Anyways.

This may just be me, but psychologically dog sh.. is less disturbing than human sh.. Giving your boss a bill with dog sh.. on it is funny. Giving your boss a bill with human sh.. is disturbing.

I agree.

OP
OP
twistidd

twistidd

Bronze Member
Nov 11, 2007
Chicago
Detector(s) used
Random post- here's something I found when I was sorting through all the keeper relics (and a lot I tossed out) I had stashed away under the sink in a big shoebox. Not sure how it ended up there- a small gold cross.

Attachments

• IMG.jpg
    IMG.jpg
    13 KB · Views: 303

DPBOB

Silver Member
Apr 12, 2006
DES PLAINES IL
Detector(s) used

"Your going Metal Detecting
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I put all mine back into circulation I may even put a good coin back too...

Lowbatts

Gold Member
Jul 1, 2003
Elgin
Detector(s) used
Fishers 1235X-8" CZ-20/21-8" F-70-11"DD GC1023
C'mon Joe, was the boss laughing?

When I was working in Arlington Heights we'd go to the bar after work and toss some darts. Walked into the boys room and someone had thrown a $10 bill in the urinal, and no one had fished it out. So I grabbed a couple paper towels, picked it up and ran it under the sink, hot water for a few, damped it off, went to the bar and bought a round for the table with it.

One of the guys at the table laughed at the idea, said he saw it too but just took a leak on it and tried to have some fun from it at my expense, commenting on just how low I would go for money.

Hmmm.... So an hour or so passes and he comes out of the boys room and laughingly tells me he saw some change in the urinal, perhaps I'd find it of value. I waited awhile and let him have the fun. After it passed I went into the boys room and took some change out of my pocket, ran it under the sink, came back out and held my hand out as if to pass him something. He held his hand out and I dropped the wet change in it. Told him I was splitting it with him. He went into a frenzy, screaming and shaking his hand off, running to wash his hands.

Lowbatts who laughs last laughs best and all that stuff.....

kimsdad

Silver Member
Apr 17, 2008
Moronica, northwest of Chicago.
Detector(s) used
E-trac & Bounty Hunter Land Star
Lowbatts said:

When I was working in Arlington Heights we'd go to the bar after work and toss some darts. Walked into the boys room and someone had thrown a $10 bill in the urinal, and no one had fished it out. So I grabbed a couple paper towels, picked it up and ran it under the sink, hot water for a few, damped it off, went to the bar and bought a round for the table with it.

One of the guys at the table laughed at the idea, said he saw it too but just took a leak on it and tried to have some fun from it at my expense, commenting on just how low I would go for money.

Hmmm.... So an hour or so passes and he comes out of the boys room and laughingly tells me he saw some change in the urinal, perhaps I'd find it of value. I waited awhile and let him have the fun. After it passed I went into the boys room and took some change out of my pocket, ran it under the sink, came back out and held my hand out as if to pass him something. He held his hand out and I dropped the wet change in it. Told him I was splitting it with him. He went into a frenzy, screaming and shaking his hand off, running to wash his hands.

Great story, Tim! You really are hardcore! I wonder if you left a silver in the urinal for a hundred years, would it start to turn into a cookie coin like they do in the shark pit?

I've never come across money used for TP, but cash is really, really dirty. Anyone know how many drunks P all over themselves and the wad of bills in their front pockets from drinking at the bar? No idea here either, but I know first-hand that it happens a lot. All it does is dry out and get spent. :angry7:

OP
OP
twistidd

twistidd

Bronze Member
Nov 11, 2007
Chicago
Detector(s) used
Kimsdad said:
Lowbatts said:

Great story, Tim! You really are hardcore! I wonder if you left a silver in the urinal for a hundred years, would it start to turn into a cookie coin like they do in the shark pit?

I've never come across money used for TP, but cash is really, really dirty. Anyone know how many drunks P all over themselves and the wad of bills in their front pockets from drinking at the bar? No idea here either, but I know first-hand that it happens a lot. All it does is dry out and get spent. :angry7:

Not to mention how much much drug residue you can find in and on bills. Many dealers will wrap dope up in bills, the denomination of the bill representing the value of dope. I once read a statistic somewhere claiming that the vast bulk of bills have been used for, or were in close contact to, drugs, and contain trace amounts.

These days, I use high-denomination bills exclusively for the lighting of my Romeo Y Julieta Cuban cigars. ::)

Joe

p2c

Bronze Member
Apr 14, 2009
Matteson, IL
Detector(s) used
twistidd said:
Kimsdad said:
Lowbatts said:

Not to mention how much much drug residue you can find in and on bills. Many dealers will wrap dope up in bills, the denomination of the bill representing the value of dope. I once read a statistic somewhere claiming that the vast bulk of bills have been used for, or were in close contact to, drugs, and contain trace amounts.

These days, I use high-denomination bills exclusively for the lighting of my Romeo Y Julieta Cuban cigars. ::)

Joe

That is very true. My wife works as a forensic chemist for the DEA and they say that essentially every $20 in circulation has some cocaine residue on it if not other stuff. That's not too scary, but what is potentially scary are there are some drugs like fentanyl, which is a high power pain killer. A few years back all the people dying from 'good heroine' got heroine that was cut with fentanyl. They did with the needle in their arms. The dosage of fentanyl is measured in nanograms, and you can overdoes and die with just a few nanograms (essentially you feel no pain and forget to breath). So don't get any bills with trace amounts of fentanyl on them -- okay.

Lowbatts

Gold Member
Jul 1, 2003
Elgin
Detector(s) used
All this worrying from a couple guys who do what? Dig coinage up in the woods. Hmmm... Now do critters go poop in the woods?

Okay Joe, you're the biologist in the group. What's more likely to happen:

1. I pick up a $10 bill from the urinal with paper napkin and hose it off with hot water under the sink.
drug poisoning, communicable disease, bacterial infection.

BTW, Known a few od's in my time, more than a few old acquaintances who became crackheads, a few hep cases, and of course a few who wound up with cirrhosiss, TB, etc....

2. I dig a copper or silver coin out in the woods, bare-handed or with gloves. Truth be known you have to use bare hands to remove your gloves or put them on.
parasitic infection, fungal infection, urushiol or other plant toxin infection/irritation, poisonous animals or insects, etc....

BTW, I've known folks who got lyme disease, migratory roundworms, and even one get a nearly fatal fungal infection from digging only a latrine in remote woods.

3. I buy a lottery ticket. Hey, wait, who knows what that clerk has been handling?

I dunno, sounds like a big world out there! Hope I don't spot any money on/in the ground or elsewhere! Putting on my Howard Hughes look now, gotta stay cleeeeannnn.....

p2c

Bronze Member
Apr 14, 2009
Matteson, IL
Detector(s) used
Lowbatts said:
All this worrying from a couple guys who do what? Dig coinage up in the woods. Hmmm... Now do critters go poop in the woods?

Okay Joe, you're the biologist in the group. What's more likely to happen:

1. I pick up a $10 bill from the urinal with paper napkin and hose it off with hot water under the sink.
drug poisoning, communicable disease, bacterial infection.

BTW, Known a few od's in my time, more than a few old acquaintances who became crackheads, a few hep cases, and of course a few who wound up with cirrhosiss, TB, etc....

2. I dig a copper or silver coin out in the woods, bare-handed or with gloves. Truth be known you have to use bare hands to remove your gloves or put them on.
parasitic infection, fungal infection, urushiol or other plant toxin infection/irritation, poisonous animals or insects, etc....

BTW, I've known folks who got lyme disease, migratory roundworms, and even one get a nearly fatal fungal infection from digging only a latrine in remote woods.

3. I buy a lottery ticket. Hey, wait, who knows what that clerk has been handling?

I dunno, sounds like a big world out there! Hope I don't spot any money on/in the ground or elsewhere! Putting on my Howard Hughes look now, gotta stay cleeeeannnn.....

I don't think the initial worry was over dog sh.. or anything of that sort. It was over being prim and proper and how our human psyche regards some things as dirty but funny and other things as just dirty.
When I was young, we used to get pig manure pile delivered in our yard for compost on the garden. Next to it was the topsoil pile. My friends and I played in it. I once dared a friend when we were 9 to eat some pig manure and he did. Nothing came of it. But just because nothing came of it, does not mean that I'd recommend you eat pig manure regularly just because it didn't hurt my friend back then... Besides, some of the infections you list (aside from parasites) you usually don't get unless you are already immunocompromised (fungal stuff).
Many of my relatives are MD's or PhD's in biological sciences. It seems the more educated they are, the more concerned they are about dirtiness of things and germs. The only exception to this case was a PhD immunology student who I knew. I know when I was a kid, my hand would have been slapped if I had reached to the urinal.

Lowbatts

Gold Member
Jul 1, 2003
Elgin
Detector(s) used
Almost right Jon! I was, as the title of Joe's thread here suggests, observing and as usual noting, or maybe even helping promulgate the morph into risk calculations associated with the md'ing or treasure hunting hobby. My bad, it's my bent psyche at work.

You name it, we can fear it!

Tightening the foil cap as I type,

Last turn, rank biggest threats to us as md'ers and observe the trend towards....

radiated VLF, rusty nails, broken glass, bad lookie-loos? ehh...

OP
OP
twistidd

twistidd

Bronze Member
Nov 11, 2007
Chicago
Detector(s) used
In theory, one may actually become desensitized and perhaps immune to many diseases or pathogens by simply being in contact with all the germies on a regular basis. How do you think I'm still alive? In all seriousness, though, I think that in the end, it all depends on the strengths (or weaknesses) of one's own immune system. George Carlin used to talk about it. He would talk about playing in the filthy, scum-filled, poo-ridden ditches called rivers in NYC back in the day. He and his friends would spend hours splashing away and having a great time. "Of course", he said, "some would eventually die. Oh well. F$%& 'em! Survival of the fittest!"

So far I've avoided serious illnesses. I have been injured more than I'd like to say, because being stupid isn't something I'm immune to. :D

joe

OP
OP
twistidd

twistidd

Bronze Member
Nov 11, 2007
Chicago
Detector(s) used
This thread has taken a turn for the worse...

Attachments

• IMG_0921.JPG
    IMG_0921.JPG
    75.6 KB · Views: 209

davebien

Feb 5, 2008
DuPage County, IL
Detector(s) used
DFX and now a new Minelab Explorer SE Pro
I agree that way back when when some of us grew up that not having parents (or us) who kept us in germ-free homes, schools etc. we developed some immunity to those "germs". Just look at how the numbers have risen for asthma, products of germ-free surroundings. I do however keep my tetnus shot up to date, nails and all that.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread