Odds and ends of stuff.

BosnMate

Gold Member
Sep 10, 2010
Detector(s) used
Whites MXT, Whites DFX, Whites 6000 Di Pro
Primary Interest:
Other
I have more stuff to show you guys, but I'm in a toot tonight, have to get up early tomorrow, doing some volunteer work with homeless veterans for the next couple of days. So what I'm going to show you this evening is a few odds and ends of stuff I have, and there won't be a lot of story going along with the items. I know that the forum says it's OK to post a dozen pictures, but so far I'm still learning, and I've had problems trying to post more than 8. So tonight I'll see if I can't get at least 8 pictures posted.

Before I go any further, I want to thank everyone for the kind remarks that you have made about my posts up to this point. That's all it takes to keep me pumped and posting, at least until I run out of stuff.
[attach 1]
Here are a couple of bowls that I have on display in the yard, and my wife has flowers in them. There are two more bowls that this time of year are buried under plants and impossible to see. I have these bowls in the yard, because they aren't perfect, and I'd feel bad if they were stolen, but not as bad as if someone got one of my good ones, which I don't have photos yet. I have had two broken stone bowls stolen from my yard, so I know it happens.
[attach 2]
This is half of a bowl that I found in the creek behind our house. Like I said, the first one was sitting on the porch, and somebody wanted it bad enough to steal it. The stolen one looked just exactly like the one in the photo.
[attach 3]
[attach 4]
These two stones are naturally occuring rocks, meaning they occur with the hole being formed by nature, without any help from a human. The one on the left is not an artifact, it's a rock with a hole, that, because of the action of the water and other grit in the stream, was created by forces of nature. The one on the right can't be proved that it's an artifact, but I expect that the hole was formed the same way as the one on the left, and if one will look closely, it will be noted that the inside of the hole is charred and blackened. I can't prove a thing, but I suspect that it's a part of a bow drill for making fire, or perhaps a hole making drill. The stone is the part of the drill that is holding the top of the spindle under pressure, keeping it in the hearth, while the bow is spinning the drill to produce the heat and coal for the fire. At one time I was able to do a fire this way, back when I was a boy scout. I don't have a story for the find, except that one of my Uncles found it in the desert and gave it to me. I think that it's a part of a bow drill, and I'm sticking to it.
[attach 5]
This are four Chumash points that I forgot to include in my first post, "Stuff that I've Found." I said that I never found any points in the midden where the army had dug the foxhole. That's true, but these were found in that vicinity. One summer day Mom was taking us to the beach for a swim. There was a seawall with concrete steps down to the beach in various places, as well as concrete steps down the bank where there wasn't a wall. The bank was mostly covered with a plant called "Ice plant." Mom was packing picnic basket and a beach umbrella and such down to the beach, while us kids charged on ahead, not neccessairly using the steps, and not wasting any time about getting into the water. Probably one of us, or someone not too long before us, had kicked that point which you see located on the far right in the photo, out of the bank and onto the steps, where Mom found it on the way down to the beach. That was her first arrowhead find. The other three were also found at the coast, around that area, but I don't remember the particulars about them.
[attach 6]
The above photo is something that I didn't find, it was given to me by a rancher in Montana that has ancient buffalo jump on his place. We had been to Cody, WY, to the Buffalo Bill museum, and they had a display of bones from a buffalo jump, and one of the things they showed were the cut marks on the bone where the meat had been removed, please note the cut marks in the bone on the photo below.
[attach 7]
When he asked me if I wanted a buffalo bone, I jumped at the chance, and having seen the ones in the museum, I picked one with cut marks. Thanks again for your kind remarks, and I probably won't be back now until after the weekend.

Attachments

• DSC00026.jpg
    DSC00026.jpg
    70.8 KB · Views: 403
  • DSC00027.jpg
    DSC00027.jpg
    81.2 KB · Views: 401
  • DSC00006.jpg
    DSC00006.jpg
    33 KB · Views: 403
  • DSC00007.jpg
    DSC00007.jpg
    29.1 KB · Views: 400
  • DSC00020.jpg
    DSC00020.jpg
    37.2 KB · Views: 405
  • DSC00029.JPG
    DSC00029.JPG
    43 KB · Views: 397
  • DSC00030.jpg
    DSC00030.jpg
    40.4 KB · Views: 397
Upvote 0

The Grim Reaper

Gold Member
Apr 3, 2008
Southern Ohio
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
As always, I enjoyed both your photos and the stories that go along with them. I like these kinds of posts much better than someone who just posts a point and says, "I found this yesterday". I always like hearing the story behind the find. I know some of my posts about my finds get long winded as well, but I like to relate the story behind the find just as you do.

Thanks again for sharing your stories and your artifacts.

joshuaream

Silver Member
Jun 25, 2009
Florida & Hong Kong
Once again, very nice pieces.

There are a lot of us that have indoor and outdoor collections. Last time we moved I spent the night before closing (handing over the keys to the buyer) grubbing through the flower beds with a flash light picking out pieces that I didn't want to leave behind...

EastKyMiner

Apr 16, 2010
Kentucky
Detector(s) used
Minelab E-trac, White's XLT, Garrett GTA 500,Garrett Pro Pointer
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Nice finds, and story :thumbsup:
HH..Miner

chong2

Bronze Member
Apr 25, 2006
El Paso, TX
Detector(s) used
Flippin Stick n good luck :)
beautiful stuff, i love the stone bowls, are they bowls are mortars? nice stuff again!

11KBP

Oct 7, 2008
Central Great Plains
BosnMate said:
Before I go any further, I want to thank everyone for the kind remarks that you have made about my posts up to this point. That's all it takes to keep me pumped and posting, at least until I run out of stuff.

BosnMate,

I have been following all of your posts and can readily say that all of the "kind remarks" you received are well deserved.

I have enjoyed viewing your collection and reading the history of the individual pieces ...a very nice presentation.

11KBP

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread