Man at center of fight over Adena artifact dies.

ohio

Bronze Member
May 28, 2007
Pick, yes that is a sad story. The Cincy Art Museum has an Adena tablet. They recently displayed it and I made sure to go check it out. It was broken and reglued. A friend of mine told me that it was broken while in the possession of the museum.

CHUCK

newnan man

Gold Member
Aug 8, 2005
Beautiful Florida
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
They "waited" him out. Sad but I hope his widow gets it back. That museum has so much stuff there is no reason for them to take that stance.

The Grim Reaper

Gold Member
Apr 3, 2008
Southern Ohio
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I have heard this same type of story more than once unfortunately. The man that owned the Harness Mound told me at a show that the same thing happened to him. He "loaned" all the artifacts from the mound to the Cleveland Museum of History with the stipulation it would all be given back after they "studied" it and he showed me two or three pieces that he had and that's all he ever got back out of thousands of artifacts they took. They told him they had "misplaced" his items and if they found them they would give them back. Misplaced my a$$. I'm sure they walked right out the back door and into someones collection.

I used to visit the Ohio Historical Society Museum quite often when I was in Columbus, but it will a cold day in Hell before they ever get another dime from me. I hope the mans wife and children continue the lawsuit and make them pay out the nose.

*Molly*

Silver Member
Feb 4, 2008
England.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
We should have a locked thread informing ppl that museums do not give back artifacts..I have seen this happen so many times. Its outragous.. I just don't know why ppl do this, i would never part with mine, hell I'm even wary on whom I even let look at them.

Sad story..

OP
OP
P

pickaway

Yea thats how i feel about it to yall... :'(

catherine1

Bronze Member
Jun 25, 2010
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I do not believe that their intentions are justified. Do not loan to them.And do not trust them with displaying your artifacts. Keep them with the people you trust. They are much safer with us. KEITH.

Nancy Ford

Jan 7, 2013
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
There is now a facebook page set up to help support the Lows in their fight. PLEASE see RETURN THE LOW ADENA TABLET...... and for a similar family's story, please see ADENA ARTIFACTS LOST....... THANKS~~

pickaway

Bronze Member
Nov 1, 2011
Detector(s) used
ace 400
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Keep up the good fight, I heckeld Brad about it this year at at his lecture at comfest. They still display the Low tablet here it is.
13.jpg

rock

Gold Member
Aug 25, 2012
South
Detector(s) used
Coin Finder
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Welcome to Tnet. Sad story

Neanderthal

Bronze Member
Aug 20, 2006
oklahoma
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT Pro
Because of situations like this, most museums provide documentation for all parties involved, whether it be by loan, donation, or even many purchases. I know our museum does. Without any sort of paperwork, you're basically up a creek without a paddle.

Tnmountains

Super Moderator
Staff member
Jan 27, 2009
South East Tennessee on Ga, Ala line
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Tesoro Conquistador freq shift
Fisher F75
Garrett AT-Pro
Garet carrot
Neodymium magnets
5' Probe
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Medal of Honor Museum asked to display some of my Dad's stuff. We quickly said no though we supported them. A year later they ceased to exist and who knows what happened to the items they had.
Good advice being posted. Neanderthal you help the museum though don't you?

larson1951

Silver Member
Apr 8, 2009
North Dakota
Detector(s) used
tesoro
Primary Interest:
Other
There is now a facebook page set up to help support the Lows in their fight. PLEASE see RETURN THE LOW ADENA TABLET...... and for a similar family's story, please see ADENA ARTIFACTS LOST....... THANKS~~

hey nanc
welcome to the net
steve

Neanderthal

Bronze Member
Aug 20, 2006
oklahoma
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT Pro
Medal of Honor Museum asked to display some of my Dad's stuff. We quickly said no though we supported them. A year later they ceased to exist and who knows what happened to the items they had.
Good advice being posted. Neanderthal you help the museum though don't you?
Yes, I'm the curator. Museums get a bad rap, some of it is warranted but most of the time it isn't. Anytime you turn over anything to any place (not just museums) you should make sure to get proper paperwork verifying it, or you really don't have any ground to stand on. Otherwise, there's nothing to go by other than someones word. One party could say it was donated and the other say it was a loan.

joshuaream

Silver Member
Jun 25, 2009
Florida & Hong Kong
I've had pieces on loan to various researchers and research collections (museums, but not displayed) an have never had a problem. And I've seen it from the museum point of view, where people drop stuff of an 30 years later families want stuff back. (Materials that required conservation or restoration were common.)

I document what I am sending, how long they will have it, where it will be, and what will be done. If the researcher doesn't have a title at the museum (common with university archaeologists), they need to get someone who does to sign off on a temporary loan.

Don't let sloppy record keeping keep you from sharing, and getting enjoyment from your collection. Just dot a couple of I's and cross a few T's to be safe.

littlekan

May 13, 2010
Parkerburg, WV
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
Very sad story indeed!!! Don't trust anyone LOL The Low Tablet was found in Parkersburg West Virginia...I spoke a local archeologist here at the Blennerhassett Museum...and I do recall him speaking of this very tablet.

Nancy Ford

Jan 7, 2013
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Because of situations like this, most museums provide documentation for all parties involved, whether it be by loan, donation, or even many purchases. I know our museum does. Without any sort of paperwork, you're basically up a creek without a paddle.

Even WITH loan documentation, my family has had no luck getting artifacts returned. My Grandfather had requested return of artifacts from the Ohio Historical Society in the 1960's. The Curator, Mr Baby, denied having the Adena bowl, even though I have a letter from him, acknowledging having been at the mound excavation. Also, I have a photo of him at this mound, AND, a newspaper article showing him there, AND the testimony of James L. Murphy collaborating my Grandfather's request for return.

Documentation apparently doesn't mean a thing, either.

A LOAN is given with the expectation of a future return, no matter what date in the future.
Ask your local bank.......that's how it works, if INTEGRITY is involved.

Please see the following article~~~

Historical Society donors want their relics returned - MariettaTimes.com | News, Sports, Jobs, Ohio, Community Information - The Marietta Times

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread