Of Robert Morriss

O

Old Silver

In 1885 the writer of the Beale papers said of Robert Morriss' place:
"There the most unbounded hospitality reigned, and every facility for enjoyment was furnished. The elite of the town assembled there more frequently than elsewhere, and there are now living some whose most pleasant recollections are associated with that period."

I hope that by this we can finally put to rest the notion that Robert Morriss didn't exist, even with the "wrong" the spelling of his name. If the above had not been true as told, the writer would have been finished before he started, as his story would have been a known fake. So, we know that the writer at least used real characters. Knowing then that Morriss was real, and people of 1885 had known him, why would the writer have spelled the name with one "s" too many? Either Mr. Morriss himself spelled it that way, or others of that name and place spelled it that way (I have found this to be fact), or it simply didn't matter, as was most often the case in times past. So, on this issue, let us rest.

Rebel - KGC

Gold Member
Jun 15, 2007
In 1885 the writer of the Beale papers said of Robert Morriss' place:
"There the most unbounded hospitality reigned, and every facility for enjoyment was furnished. The elite of the town assembled there more frequently than elsewhere, and there are now living some whose most pleasant recollections are associated with that period."

I hope that by this we can finally put to rest the notion that Robert Morriss didn't exist, even with the "wrong" the spelling of his name. If the above had not been true as told, the writer would have been finished before he started, as his story would have been a known fake. So, we know that the writer at least used real characters. Knowing then that Morriss was real, and people of 1885 had known him, why would the writer have spelled the name with one "s" too many? Either Mr. Morriss himself spelled it that way, or others of that name and place spelled it that way (I have found this to be fact), or it simply didn't matter, as was most often the case in times past. So, on this issue, let us rest.
Your "Quote" is taken from a book, NOT deemed REAL Lynchburg, Va. history; "story" MAY be based on Mayor Robert MORRIS, as ONE of TJB's letter addressed it to Robert MORRIS... review letters of TJB, for info about "leaving comfort" of RM's HOME.

OP
OP
O

Old Silver

Your "Quote" is taken from a book, NOT deemed REAL Lynchburg, Va. history; "story" MAY be based on Mayor Robert MORRIS, as ONE of TJB's letter addressed it to Robert MORRIS... review letters of TJB, for info about "leaving comfort" of RM's HOME.

No sir, it's a direct quote from the Beale story.

OP
OP
O

Old Silver

Once again, one can not use anything in the Beale Papers as proof that anything in the Beale Papers actually ever happened- PRETZEL LOGIC.

I think you mean YOU can't prove anything...
You can talk about proof, but when it comes to showing it, you seem to fall short. At least I can show what I'm talking about.
Now, if you had understanding, you'd know the significance of the above post. The point is, there were people alive in 1885 that had known Robert Morriss. Therefore, the writer of the story could not have gotten away with giving false information about Morriss. Maybe about the treasure, because Morris kept that secret, but not about Morris himself. I'm sorry if you can't see that.

ECS

Banned
Mar 26, 2012
Ocala,Florida
Primary Interest:
Other
Considering that Robert Morris was once Mayor of Lynchburg and that in 1885, businessman , Max Guggenheimer, was now living in Morris's former home, that Morris was a real person.
Now, if you had understanding, you'd know the significance that it DOES NOT PROVE anything written in the 1885 Beale Papers copyrighted by Morris's nephew, James Beverly Ward.
I'm sorry if you can't see that.

OP
OP
O

Old Silver

Considering that Robert Morris was once Mayor of Lynchburg and that in 1885, businessman , Max Guggenheimer, was now living in Morris's former home, that Morris was a real person.
Now, if you had understanding, you'd know the significance that it DOES NOT PROVE anything written in the 1885 Beale Papers copyrighted by Morris's nephew, James Beverly Ward.
I'm sorry if you can't see that.

Stop badgering. No one invited you onto this thread.
But yes, the writer couldn't get away with making claims about a fictional character, saying that people there knew him, if it wasn't true. That is proof of that part of the story. I know that ruins your whole day, but you'll just have to accept the facts.

bigscoop

Gold Member
Jun 4, 2010
Wherever there be treasure!
Detector(s) used
Older blue Excal with full mods, Equinox 800.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Just as an interesting sidebar, it is interesting that there is no evidence of any of the families ever challenging the author's claims given the nature of the tale, this also including the families of Jackson, Clay, Witcher, Marshal, Coles, etc. I find that a bit interesting.

OP
OP
O

Old Silver

Just as an interesting sidebar, it is interesting that there is no evidence of any of the families ever challenging the author's claims given the nature of the tale, this also including the families of Jackson, Clay, Witcher, Marshal, Coles, etc. I find that a bit interesting.

Exactly. And with such high profile names, there would be people in that town calling it bull if there were nothing to it.

bigscoop

Gold Member
Jun 4, 2010
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Exactly. And with such high profile names, there would be people in that town calling it bull if there were nothing to it.

This has always been one of my standing curiosities within the tale, though also realizing that the publication wasn't produced until 1884 and that prior to this there was never even so much as a whisper or rumor of the events. So on both perspectives there is reason to question the stability of the tale. From both perspectives there is an absolute absence of supporting evidence, which is a little odd, I think. Basically this total absence of supporting evidence can be used in support of both sides of the debate.

Last edited:
OP
OP
O

Old Silver

This has always been one of my standing curiosities within the tale, though also realizing that the publication wasn't produced until 1884 and that prior to this there was never even so much as a whisper or rumor of the events. So on both perspectives there is reason to question the stability of the tale. From both perspectives there is an absolute absence of supporting evidence, which is a little odd, I think. Basically this total absence of supporting evidence can be used in support of both sides of the debate.

True, but with the passing of so much time, a lot is forgotten and lost.

bigscoop

Gold Member
Jun 4, 2010
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
There are just a lot of absent standing curiosities with this subject that can't be explained, details that should be present weather the story held any measure of truth or not. It is very odd.

OP
OP
O

Old Silver

There are just a lot of absent standing curiosities with this subject that can't be explained, details that should be present weather the story held any measure of truth or not. It is very odd.

I like to think there could still be some of those things waiting in some old dusty attic somewhere. Doesn't hurt to dream I guess.

bigscoop

Gold Member
Jun 4, 2010
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
A little humor here but wouldn't it be great to find an old metal lock box with three ciphers in it. :laughing7:

ECS

Banned
Mar 26, 2012
Ocala,Florida
Primary Interest:
Other
Most of those names had passed away in the 1820's, but the names would have been known to the 1885 Lynchburg targeted buyers.
You failed to mention Max Guggenheimer, who was a friend of both Ward and Sherman, advertised in Button's LYNCHBURG VIRGINIAN, served along side with Ward's Hutter cousins during the War of Northern Aggression, and, most important, sold copies of the 1885 Beale Papers in his store.

OP
OP
O

Old Silver

Most of those names had passed away in the 1820's, but the names would have been known to the 1885 Lynchburg targeted buyers.

That's the point. Why were there no disputes over any of these characters or events? People ("targeted buyers") alive at the time of the paper's publishing would have known if any of this were false. But not a word from any family member, friend or acquaintance.

bigscoop

Gold Member
Jun 4, 2010
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
You failed to mention Max Guggenheimer, who was a friend of both Ward and Sherman, advertised in Button's LYNCHBURG VIRGINIAN, served along side with Ward's Hutter cousins during the War of Northern Aggression, and, most important, sold copies of the 1885 Beale Papers in his store.

True, but I still think it is just very-very odd that there doesn't exist any supporting evidence to either side of the debate given the nature of the story. And while I agree that this absence of evidence lends itself to the fiction theory I think it is also fair to say that this same absence can likewise lend itself to the other side of the debate as well. That's all I'm saying, that this complete absence just seems very odd to me.

ECS

Banned
Mar 26, 2012
Ocala,Florida
Primary Interest:
Other
... No one invited you onto this thread...
Why should someone who you claim was not invited onto this thread even attempt a civil dialog with you?
"Go play with someone else, I can see by you carry that you come from Barrytown"
-Steely Dan

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread