Bronze Member
Jun 28, 2005
alachua county, FL
Detector(s) used
Equinox 800
Nokta Legend
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
sweet!..Looking forward to having you there.......let me know if you have any questions....

OP
OP
YankeeDownSouthAdv.

YankeeDownSouthAdv.

Bronze Member
Jun 28, 2005
alachua county, FL
Detector(s) used
Equinox 800
Nokta Legend
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
very nice..i need to call grandma susie this week, to check on reservations,etc.....looking forward to feb!!! Hurry up Feb!!!!

Wayne P

Mar 28, 2010
Fayetteville, NC
Detector(s) used
XP Deus, Blisstool and Fisher F 75 SE
Idea for T shirt how about Swannee River on top, alligator curved under the swannee river, water and tree line under that Official Flordia Hunt 2012, with crossed detectors. Kinda give reference to where we hunted (look at their logo) and shows what we did?

Wayne P

Mar 28, 2010
Fayetteville, NC
Detector(s) used
XP Deus, Blisstool and Fisher F 75 SE
flordia hunt.jpg Not much of an artist but this might help explain my idea a little better

OP
OP
YankeeDownSouthAdv.

YankeeDownSouthAdv.

Bronze Member
Jun 28, 2005
alachua county, FL
Detector(s) used
Equinox 800
Nokta Legend
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Well the correct spelling is Suwannee , i will print your drawing and bring it to my shirt embroider, and see if he can work it...thanks wayne nice stuff... or maybe the state of florida instead of the alligator>

River Rat

Super Moderator
Staff member
Jan 6, 2006
SE Louisiana
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT Pro, Ace 250 & Ace 400
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Looks good to me, either the state of FL or gator, yep, on the spelling. 2013 for the year!!

River Rat

Super Moderator
Staff member
Jan 6, 2006
SE Louisiana
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
A Lil Bit of History...

History
At the time of the Spanish exploration of the area in the 1530s, the river banks were inhabited by the Timucuan people, who named it Suwani, meaning "Echo River". In the 18th century Seminoles, lived by the river. The steamboat Madison operated on the river before the Civil War, and the sulphur springs at White Springs became popular as a health resort, with 14 hotels in operation in the late 1800s.

Suwannee River
The Suwannee River is a federally designated wild river. It is the only major waterway in the southeastern United States that is still unspoiled. The Suwannee flows from the Okefenokee Swamp in southern Georgia to the Gulf of Mexico in Florida. It winds for almost 266 miles through swamps, high limestone banks, hammocks of hardwood, and salt marshes. It also has fifty-five springs along the way. The river’s limestone outcroppings and a drop in elevation create Florida’s only whitewater rapids at Little Shoals and Big Shoals located several miles upstream from the city of White Springs.

Indians on the Suwannee River
Tumucuan Indians were living on the banks of the Suwannee River when the Spanish explorers came to what is now north Florida in the 1530s. The Suwannee River formed the boundary between the Timucuan on the east and the Apalachee Indians on the west.

To the Timucuan of north central Florida, the Suwannee was a river sacred to their Sun God. To them, the Moon of the Suwannee put the colors of the rainbow into the earth. The Sun drew the colors out in flowers.

The Timucuan Indian word Suwani means Echo River. Some think that is the origin of the Suwannee River’s name. Others say Suwannee means River of Reeds, Deep Water, or Crooked Black Water. Tannic acid from decaying palmetto roots and vegetation causes the blackness of the water.

In the 1700s the Seminole Indians, or “wanderers” from the Creek tribe of Georgia were on the Suwannee. Old logs buried deep in the river were perhaps once parts of rafts on which they drifted down from Georgia.

White Sulphur Springs on the Suwannee was considered to be a sacred healing ground. Warring tribes could come to bathe in and drink the mineral waters while putting aside their disagreements.

Steamboats on the Suwannee River
The steamboat Madison, a floating country store, was on the Suwannee before the Civil War. Captain James Tucker owned and operated the sternwheeler. He carried items that he traded for money, cowhides, beef, tallow, chickens, eggs, hogs, deerskins, venison, beeswax, honey, gum resin, lumber, cotton, or whatever else came his way.

The Madison wasn’t large. But her whistle was loud and heard for miles along the river. It called farmers, woodsmen, and planters to come to the boat landing on the run with their goods. Sometimes the Captain and crew threw down nickels as they docked. There was a wild scramble on shore. A nickel was worth a lot back then.

When the Civil War began, Captain Tucker raised a company of Confederate soldiers. He took them aboard the Madison. One night they slipped out from the Suwannee and captured a federal gunboat.

River Rat

Super Moderator
Staff member
Jan 6, 2006
SE Louisiana
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
The Lafayette County Court House in Mayo around 1900. The photographer is unknown. Notice the bare lawns. No trees, shrubs or statues have yet been planted or placed. A few years later Sable (cabbage) Palms an Oak Tree and other plant material will have grownup on the lawns. There will be sidewalks and curbs too! More houses and buildings will be built up around it as well.

rc03987.jpg

Lafayette County Court House circa 1920 in Mayo taken by a photographer whom we only know the last name; Blake. This photo is part of the Reference Collection of the Florida Memory Project. Architectural details include the clock tower in the dome

Attachments

• rc03383.jpg
    rc03383.jpg
    51.9 KB · Views: 109
Last edited:

River Rat

Super Moderator
Staff member
Jan 6, 2006
SE Louisiana
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
article8.jpg
Mayo Town Park

In March 1898, W.T. Dees petitioned the Board of County Commissioners for telephone wire lines on public roads to the Luraville Ferry. The petition was granted. This brought the first telephones to Mayo. A light plant and water works were established in Mayo in 1907 by the Dees family.

Along about this same time, Mr. Dees gave land to the Town of Mayo for a park. Now known as Mayo Town Park, it was known at that time as Dees Park, and for a time it was a great place, particularly with the beautiful live oaks, many of which are still standing. This park was the gathering place for many town and country social occasions.

Last edited:

River Rat

Super Moderator
Staff member
Jan 6, 2006
SE Louisiana
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
article6.jpg

The old log cabin stands proudly in its tranquil setting at the Mayo Town Park, a reminder of a way of life almost a century ago. It is believed that Charlie Edwin Turlington built the house sometime in the 1890’s and probably raised his family there. In 1919, the late Senator Fred P. Parker purchased the log cabin from Charlie Edwin Turlington and records show purchase price to be $50.00. Mr. Parker, his wife Oralee, and his daughter Donna lived there until 1926. At that time, Mr. Parker built a new house in Mayo and moved his family there. Sharecroppers then lived in the old log cabin. After Mr. Parker’s death, his daughter sold the cabin to W.P. Carmichael in 1946. In 1951, Carmichael sold the house to Edgar H. and Virginia Clayton. The Clayton’s owned the house for two years and then sold it to Dr. John N. and Edna Sims in 1953. The Sim’s sold the house to Lafayette County in 1966.

Last edited:
OP
OP
YankeeDownSouthAdv.

YankeeDownSouthAdv.

Bronze Member
Jun 28, 2005
alachua county, FL
Detector(s) used
Equinox 800
Nokta Legend
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
yes loving all your work, did better than i could i may also ask them to forward some info, as owner is part of the counties Historical Society. will try calling again tomorrow from work.

Diver_Down

Silver Member
Dec 13, 2008
St. Augustine, FL
The T-Shirt idea is nice, and I'd like to throw in my 2 cents based on the proposed design with a twist. I'd lose the gator. Keep the border and substitute an outline of the state of FL for the central element. Make the state look like some old topo maps without modern day reference to cities. Feature major geographic landmarks - Suwanee River, St. Johns River, etc. Use the cross metal detectors to mark the spot of the hunt such as an "X marks the spot" on old treasure maps.

Ideally, it would be nice if in subsequent years a different location could be chosen with a new "X marks the spot".

OP
OP
YankeeDownSouthAdv.

YankeeDownSouthAdv.

Bronze Member
Jun 28, 2005
alachua county, FL
Detector(s) used
Equinox 800
Nokta Legend
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
i will get the idea to my shirt guy, remember this is embroidery, not a screen print, so i will see what he says, but i love the idea!!!!!!

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread