Officially gave my notice... Full time eBay/FBA starting Sep 18th!

dieselram94

Gold Member
Jun 17, 2011
Mid Coast Maine
Detector(s) used
Xterra 705, Tesoro Sand Shark, Garrett Pro Pointer (mine). Fisher F2 my son's
Primary Interest:
Beach & Shallow Water Hunting
I'll tell you what it has been kind a rough. In a way it's kind of scary to step away from that every week check to do something that is not so comfortable and to go start something you have no idea if it's going to fail or not. My biggest problem is that I overspent in the beginning. I bought way too much stuff and I would buy stuff just hoping to be able to double my money on even though it probably wasn't the best option to spend my money on. It is stuff that will sell but how long does it take to sell?

I've completely change my whole game plan. In the last two months I started working with someone else and I got a secondhand dealers license so I can advertise what I want to buy. I get to go to peoples houses and I may have an opportunity to set up in someone else's store locally. My wife finally supports what I do. I could pay off all my debt at this very moment. And I have two appointments next week that are huge!

So I guess basically I'm sorry for whatever I said in the past I know there's been a lot of nights I was really depressed not only with what's going on financially but with my relationship with my wife as well so I was probably drunk! Which we've been going to counseling so the drinking is stopping it's amazing!!! [emoji41] but I wouldn't talk anyone out doing this if you have the effort to do it in the time and wanting too. I have set a goal for how much I sell this year and I'm about there already it's not even close to the holidays.

I just got a text another one while I'm sitting here. Life is good and God is good have a good day and I wish everybody luck!

Well done beachkid!!!!!

Sent from a spun out toilet paper tube (one ply)!

Carl995

Apr 5, 2015
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Off topic but just wanted to say I enjoyed reading your biographical website. Your dad seemed like a heck of a guy. :occasion14: I think it's shameful that a museum would do what they did without recognizing him.

Diggummup, Thanks for the kind words!!

OP
OP
JustinNH

JustinNH

Apr 10, 2012
NH
Detector(s) used
AT Pro
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
So when you gave your notice did you say that you're leaving work to sell on eBay full-time? And Amazon. Or do people in the office ask and have you told them what you're doing? And do they look at you like you're crazy kook? Lol.

Reason being I worked at a school before I left and my paycheck was horrible after taxes and they save some money for the summertime it broke down and made like eight dollars an hour. I had to deal with all the kids bad behaviors and like to fight and they wanted to fight me and they wanted to hit and some kids said they were going to shoot up the school it was just a horrible job. Then some of them would need toileting too.

So I decided I had enough.

(Off subject...the teacher I worked with was smoking hot and all of her friends came to visit and they were all smoking hot always talking about going out and partying. I went out with them a couple times and it was just fun)

But we were just friends no biggie. Then I put my two week notice in and she could not believe I was quitting. Said, I never thought in a 100 years, I would have an employee quit to do yard sales all the time! Everybody asked questions are you really quitting to go to yard sales? Are you really quitting today so you can go to thrift stores are you really leaving your job with this pension so that you can go do this??? Are you crazy you should've gone to college to get a good degree yada yada yada!!!

I think about them this time of year, all coming off of summer break and going back to work having to deal with kids that their parents don't give a crap how they behave and how they act. And how much stress they're going to deal with how much hours they're going to have to work and everything but you know they got a decent paycheck they have degrees and they are all teachers where I was just an aid and it was not worth my time to be there! So I wish them luck and that they have a good school year but I don't think I could deal with that type of stress! Working with middle school kids I thought was pretty tough!

yeah, they all knew I did eBay on the side and many of them even gave me stuff to sell for free. They knew it had been treating me well, so it was not a huge surprise to them. Some are even giving me going away gifts of things to sell hahahaha

Actually, many are jealous of me, so quite the opposite response you got! And I have a BS in accounting, many of them the same, even masters degrees and other certifications.

I assure them I'll still be working hard, but I'll be taking days off they can't. We were blocked out for almost 2 weeks every month, closing the books, and a full month each quarter end! Killed hunting season for me and made planning vacations/cruises very hard.

OP
OP
JustinNH

JustinNH

Apr 10, 2012
NH
Detector(s) used
AT Pro
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I also have my Wildlife Control Operator license, level 1 and 2, so I can trap and charge $ for my services from anything like mice and squirrels to beaver and coyotes. In the spring, I will probably start some advertising for that aspect as well for some additional money (and I also enjoy it).

I've also been learning taxidermy, so that is a long time game plan. All three of these fit well, as they can be worked into each other with almost no scheduling conflicts due to the nature of them all.

As you can tell, my hobbies and hopeful future career didn't really go well with a cubicle job, however the accounting job certainly helped prepare me for personal book keeping for all these things.

Last edited:
S

stefen

Good food for thought.

Interesting topic...and a lot of lessons learned.

Making mistakes and learning from them is the best teacher...You might say that I'm an over-educated person, too.

I've had the same thoughts of Ebay vs Craigslist, and am swing towards Craigslist for some items that are too big and bulky to ship and could be sold locally.

Have bought and sold a few classic cars on Ebay Motors with great success, so I might try to get my feet wet on Ebay for smaller items.

Don't think I want full immersion listing 600 items...

The thought of full time accounting, tracking, packaging and the like could get to be gruesome.

Maybe start small and grow to a comfortable level.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread