Who wants to hear a USPS story with a happy ending?

kali_is_my_copilot

Feb 10, 2014
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I know we all have our share of negative experiences with shipping & receiving and thought I would share a positive experience I had recently with the post office. I won a cross pendant for 99 cents with free shipping, it looked nice and even if it's junk it's only a dollar right? I pay, it's marked as shipped, and a few days later I'm excited to find an envelope in my mailbox... an empty envelope with the end torn open. Not a padded mailer mind you, a regular letter-sized envelope with no sign of any padding in sight.

At this point I gave it up as lost forever, as there was no way of knowing when this had occurred and I pretty much assumed someone along the way had pocketed it. The whole situation irritated me, to the point that I decided to see if I could track it down. I called USPS customer service, explained the situation, and was given a case #. A day or two later I get a call from one of my local offices saying that they had my item! It turned out that what had looked like a smallish piece in the listing pics was actually a 3-inch-long, 1 oz blinged out sterling monster, which makes me even more surprised/pleased with the outcome. Here are pics, wish I still had the envelope evidence but picture a junk return mail envelope with a tear across one end and you're pretty much there.

Attachments

• 1439631582053.jpg
    1439631582053.jpg
    68 KB · Views: 113
  • 1439631590164.jpg
    1439631590164.jpg
    88.5 KB · Views: 118
  • 1439631602386.jpg
    1439631602386.jpg
    66.9 KB · Views: 106

OWK

Apr 26, 2014
North Central Md
Detector(s) used
Fisher F70, F75
Garrett Pinpointer
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Dat be all huge, fo shizzle.

OP
OP
kali_is_my_copilot

kali_is_my_copilot

Feb 10, 2014
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Lol when I walked in to the PO to pick it up the employee I'd spoken to was MIA and the woman at the counter had no idea what I was talking about and asked me to wait at the last register, to be helped by somebody else, I guess? So I'm standing there waiting and I look over the counter and on top of a stack of paperwork is some internal claim form with this thing taped to it. Took a moment to register that this was indeed the (sparkly) droid I was looking for.

Beachkid23

Silver Member
Oct 26, 2013
fort myers fl
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I'm glad you got your cross back. If I were you though I would send a letter to the seller and tell him what happened and using better packing material may be a good idea!! I just had a pack of coins supposedly not show up as well. They were all foreign coins but the guy said the package was ripped open as well. And I wrap my stuff good so there was no sound whatsoever and the ends are taped I don't understand how it could've gotten open.

OP
OP
kali_is_my_copilot

kali_is_my_copilot

Feb 10, 2014
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Oh for sure! I definitely did. Waited until the situation was resolved since I wasn't sure if I was going to open a case over a 99 cent item, then sent them a very nice message suggesting that they may want to secure things better going forward (including suggestions for doing so without upgrading materials too much) and never got any response. Part of me wonders if it was intentional because they didn't get more for it, but I try not to attribute to malice what is just as likely to be stupidity or ignorance.

That sucks about your coins and I pack things very securely too, that sounds like a bunch of BS to me (unless it was seriously just torn open by a USPS employee or something). I would be extremely skeptical if someone said that an item I shipped experienced failure at that level.

Last edited:

DeepseekerADS

Gold Member
Mar 3, 2013
SW, VA - Bull Mountain
Detector(s) used
CTX, Excal II, EQ800, Fisher 1260X, Tesoro Royal Sabre, Tejon, Garrett ADSIII, Carrot, Stealth 920iX, Keene A52
Primary Interest:
Other
I purchased a silver dollar from a vendor on ebay. Received the standard envelope in the mail, corner torn & dollar gone. But I could clearly see the imprint of the dollar. The tear was on the edge past the imprint, thus the dollar had been stolen by someone in the post office.

Seller made it good, but hope the seller learned a lesson there.

WhiteTornado

Jun 18, 2013
Baltimore/DC area
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT Pro, Tesoro Cibola, Garrett Pro-pointer, Sampson T-handle Shovel, Lesche hand digger, Garrett and Gray Ghost Ultimate headphones
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Glad it all worked out and it looks like you got a nice item for a buck! I agree with deserdog, I never ship any goods in a PWE (plain white envelope). Even if I am shipping one baseball card, I still use a small padded mailer.

diggummup

Gold Member
Jul 15, 2004
Somewhere in the woods
Detector(s) used
Whites M6
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I never ship anything in an envelope.
Agreed. That's just looking for problems.

Glad you got your cross and surprised as well that it was sterling. The seller must not be too bright since it wasn't even listed as such. Between that and the pitiful packaging, I doubt any malice was involved on their part just someone that isn't the brightest bulb in the box.

Beachkid23

Silver Member
Oct 26, 2013
fort myers fl
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Although I suppose he shipped in an envelope because it only sold for $.99..

When I first started I put three rolls of silver quarters and a yellow envelope and taped it up. None of them made it there they all were taken out. 3 negatives at once. Learned my lesson!!

mugsisme

Bronze Member
Jan 25, 2014
Primary Interest:
Other
That's one of the reasons I print a shipping label on card stock, and put the item with the label into a ziplock bag. If the envelope gets torn, all the stuff is still together. (I tape the envelopes shut, and only use them for flat items. All my stuff is wrapped in tissue paper, then bubble wrap.)

Hooray for your happy ending! Thanks for taking the time to share it with us.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread