OH bummer ... are the TS owners hanging around our forums??

casarachi

Jul 28, 2013
northeast USA
Detector(s) used
Whites Surf PI & Eagle Spectrum, Garrett Master Hunter, Master Hunter II & CXIII. Fisher 1265X
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I believe each location has the right to do what they think best. I live between two SA TS's, About 10 miles each way on the same road. One charges $1 for Hard Cover books, and 50cents for soft covers, (unless they think they have something special, then that's at the front counter, same at both locations.) the other location just changed their prices to $5 per book. When this happened, I asked if they were so low on inventory they wanted to keep some stock around. Nope, donations are good. It's been a month since and I've never seen so many books on the shelf at this location. The other place is constantly moving the books at the 50c/$1.00 pricing. The exception at the higher priced location is the kids books are less than $5. But i have no idea on what their criteria is for their pricing.

So many people shop in these places nowadays you really have to go often and at different times of the day because you just never know. But yeah, most goods are overpriced and they still sell so....not sure who the buyers are, at least the money does go to a good charity. I believe when you end up over pay, it's the same as giving so good karma on your end should eventually equal a killer find. I just picked up a copy of Mr. Fantastic Fox by Dahl (HC/no dust jacket) for $1 and it's $100 on ebay. Would be $500 with a decent DJ.

aa battery

Gold Member
Oct 11, 2006
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
goodwill wanted me to work there but something was wrong. How can you be a franchise and none profit at the same time? :icon_scratch:

GibH

Silver Member
May 17, 2009
Florida
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Surf PI Pro/MXT/Quattro/Sovereign XS2 Pro
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
goodwill wanted me to work there but something was wrong. How can you be a franchise and none profit at the same time? :icon_scratch:

Ask the NFL. That said, Goodwill stores are not franchises.

dumpsterdiver

Dec 12, 2013
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I think they do have to vary their pricing by location. I see people at the goodwill near me fill their cart full of paper towel holders, beat up pots, rubbermaid storage that are near retail. I have a strategy of finding the most overpriced item I can and saying to someone they're crazy with their prices. Who is going to pay for this... bla bla bla I hope it works in the long term. It does get people fired up.

My main grip is they have a whole area of plastic cups, water bottles, etc. The plastic stuff that nobody is going to buy. Yet they price it let it sit there forever and then pay someone to take it down and throw it away in a month or so and start the process all over.

Paleo_joe

Mar 5, 2011
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
The internet has a thing about cutting out the middleman and in this case it is us.

cyberdan

Silver Member
Dec 12, 2006
Very Northern Left Coast
Detector(s) used
XLT & Bigfoot
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
at least the money does go to a good charity. I believe when you end up over pay, it's the same as giving so good karma on your end should eventually equal a killer find.

The CEO of goodwill made $725,000 in 2011 and the CEO of the Salvation Army made $126,900
(all above per snopes.com)

Beans

Bronze Member
May 31, 2008
Oklahoma
Detector(s) used
Ace 250
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
SA in my area is way over priced. I only go there if I go by there. Today they had x- files, Austin powers and some other action figure. They wanted between $10 - $15 per figure. Ebay highest I saw was 5 bucks for the same. Toys are one thing I like to sell. I was going to make an offer and if they accepted I was still going to lose. Glad I passed on these

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Discussions