Oh how sweet it is!

Easy

Banned
Jul 9, 2012
Freakmont
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
To date I've done 2 boxes of halves. Skunked the first time and scored 1 40%'er out of the 2nd box. So yesterday I call to order another box from the bank where I got the 40%'er . to my amazement they said we already have some. Cool, but as I'm driving there I think, hmmm I bet they are someones dumps. That's why they seemed so eager to get rid of them on the phone.
I asked the teller if I could open the box and they were MWR. I busted it this morning and GOT MY FIRST 90% WHOOT WHOOT a 1952 Franklin! As well as 2 40%'ers and 3 NIFC and one interesting clad....I happen to fumble it while sorting and it made a strange sound. I can't figure out what's different about it but it definitely is making a different sound then other clad. Doesn't look silver at all but it's just kinda weird.
Anywho.....SILVER , YEAH!

Last edited:
Upvote 0

vetarun

Jan 25, 2012
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Congratulations. That funny one is probably a magic half. See if the obverse and reverse are 180° apart like they should be. There should be a extremely fine seam around the reverse inside rim. Tap it till it falls apart and see the surprise inside. Enjoy

OP
OP
Easy

Easy

Banned
Jul 9, 2012
Freakmont
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Congratulations. That funny one is probably a magic half. See if the obverse and reverse are 180° apart like they should be. There should be a extremely fine seam around the reverse inside rim. Tap it till it falls apart and see the surprise inside. Enjoy
Can't find any rim BUT the obverse and reveres are not 180. I would ay it's off close to a quarter turn. When I tap it with my finger it sounds like its plated or something. It's a 1971 d.

CoinFetcher

Bronze Member
Apr 29, 2012
Left coast
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Love to treasure hunt
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
It's a magic coin then - keep prying away at it.

hotrod

Bronze Member
May 12, 2012
AZ
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Throw it at the ground .that should open it

vetarun

Jan 25, 2012
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Hold it face up by the rim. Tap around the reeded edge vigorously with a plastic object like a screwdriver handle. It will start to separate. Then it will fall apart.

ihittheskislopes

Jun 26, 2012
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Run over it with your car then put it in the oven on 325 for 30mins take it out tap it with a small hammer then dunk it in ice water get 2 pair of pliers grab it on the edge and pull it will come open.

SilverJack

Sep 16, 2011
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Run over it with your car then put it in the oven on 325 for 30mins take it out tap it with a small hammer then dunk it in ice water get 2 pair of pliers grab it on the edge and pull it will come open.

Best advice I've seen given on this forum. It's thorough.

OP
OP
Easy

Easy

Banned
Jul 9, 2012
Freakmont
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I have good eyes and I don't see any rim where the coin could separate. I also tryed randomly prying at thr edge with a tiny screw driver and nothing..

maverick

Silver Member
Mar 10, 2012
Detector(s) used
Bounty Hunter Pioneer 101
Garrett Ace 250
Primary Interest:
Other
I have good eyes and I don't see any rim where the coin could separate. I also tryed randomly prying at thr edge with a tiny screw driver and nothing..

I just got what I think is the same thing today, only thing I could keep outta my 2 boxes, It's a double heads sided 76'r. I see the seem, but it doesn't want to budge. Easy, the seem will be on the face of the coin, not on the edge, and I can't get mine open either. So I haven't seen anyone say whats in it, or on the other side of it? HH, Maverick.

vetarun

Jan 25, 2012
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
They are machined almost exact. It is a resistance fit. You need a magnification glass to see it. Look between "United States of America" and the edge on the reverse. Keep tapping and shaking it. Sometimes they are stuck because it isn't exactly round anymore. Try placing you thumbs on each side and trying to spin it slightly. Then tap or shake some more. Good luck

OP
OP
Easy

Easy

Banned
Jul 9, 2012
Freakmont
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Looked under magnification and don't see the seam. If its there it's darn small. Just threw it in the freezer.

Mrs.CRH

Jul 15, 2012
Orlando, FL
Detector(s) used
My hands, ears, & eyes =D
Primary Interest:
Other
We get magician coins often & if they don't easily open the freezer trick works best

maverick

Silver Member
Mar 10, 2012
Detector(s) used
Bounty Hunter Pioneer 101
Garrett Ace 250
Primary Interest:
Other
Hey Easy, I can see the seem on mine, but there is a ding right at the t in liberty that is holding it closed, I think. I tried the freezer thing to with no luck. I'm gona just throw it in the foriegn coin box for now I guess. Good luck with yours, Maverick.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Discussions