Dec 15, 2004
South Florida
Detector(s) used
70's Whites TM Amphibian, HH Pulse, Ace 250
Primary Interest:
Beach & Shallow Water Hunting
Barge ready to pump sand onto Treasure Coast beaches
HENRY A. STEPHENS ? [email protected]

A jackup barge, owned by Great Lakes Dredge & Dock Inc., sets up off Vero Beach's Treasure Cove to pump sand in the county's newest beach restoration project. (see pic)

By HENRY A. STEPHENS
[email protected]
March 2, 2007
INDIAN RIVER COUNTY — Betty Stern, who moved from Houston to Vero Beach seven years ago, knows all about beaches lined with derricks.
And that's what she thought was in the local waters earlier this week as she peered south from Jaycee Beach.

Advertisement
"I'm from Texas, darlin', and we know what oil derricks look like," Stern, 77, said Thursday. "First thing I thought was, 'Forget the Gulf (of Mexico). The place to go for now is the mid-Atlantic.' I thought this was bold."
Stern said she had fun imagining all kinds of exotic explanations, such as a fishing station for foreign interests bent on stripping Florida waters of seafood.

"It's Dr. No and James Bond all over again," she said.

In fact, it's a jackup barge, a boat lifted above the water level on four legs. Observers can see hose sections leading from the deck structure into the water.

The hoses will soon pump sand out of dredge ships' cargo holds and send it through pipes onto the beach, county Coastal Resource Manager Jonathan Gorham said Thursday. Great Lakes Dredge & Dock Inc. will use the barge as a pumping station when the company starts on the county's latest beach-restoration project — once it can find a way to get the rest of its equipment to the beach from State Road A1A.

On a $6.8 million county contract, the company is supposed to place 363,000 cubic yards of sand by May 1 on what is deemed the county's worst-eroded beach, from Sandpointe south to The Moorings.

Gorham said Great Lakes, with offices in Jupiter, plans to have dredge ships suck the sand from Round Island, sail it north to the project area and connect with the pumping station, where the sand will be sent through pipes to the beach.

When the pumping starts is yet to be decided. Great Lakes gave Gorham a date of March 10. But Thursday, Gorham said, the company still doesn't have a confirmed access point for moving its heavy equipment from State Road A1A to the beach. The project site is lined with private property, and residents are reluctant to let Great Lakes use their lots to reach the beach.

"We continue to look for options, though it is very late in the game," he said. "Surfside Terrace seems to be the only viable access we have now."

And residents there have protested that proposal, citing destruction of sprinkler heads and mailboxes when the Federal Emergency Management Agency used the street in 2004. Gorham said Great Lakes' 50 flatbed trucks would be less of a problem than the thousands of dump trucks FEMA used.

Meanwhile, he said he told members of the South Beach Property Owners' Association to expect the jackup barge, but said some residents must not have gotten word.

Some beachside residents said they figured the barge had something to do with beach restoration, but said they couldn't see why it was off Treasure Cove when the project is farther south.

"I can't comprehend, if the beach restoration is miles south of here, why we have to have something like that in our backyards?" Dunes resident Beverly Swatt asked Thursday.

She said she moved here five years ago from Boca Raton, and knew about failed experiments in which Broward County tried using used tires for artificial reefs — only to have to remove them later for environmental reasons.

She said she called Gorham out of concern the pump station would be hurting the environment.

Swatt and Linda McBride, of Treasure Cove, both said they live on the few beaches that are gaining sand while others eroded. They don't need the new sand, they said, but are left with the pump station.

"The other night, there were tugs, I do believe, laying pipe to it," McBride said Thursday. "The diesel smell was disgusting."

The pump station's location means the pipes will come out of the surf to the beach east of McBride's home and then bend south to the project area.

Gorham said Treasure Cove's beach was chosen for the pipes because there is no rock-reef habitat there.

In nearby segments, he said, the pipes would have to cross rock reefs and pose danger to the marine life.

• It's a type of barge that can stand on the ocean bottom using three or four legs or supporting columns.

• After the crew moves the barge into place, they lower the columns, usually by a hydraulic system. The whole barge can then be jacked up when the legs touch the sea floor.

• The barge can serve as a mobile platform, often used as a diving platform or for oil drilling.

Attachments

• vero pump.jpg
    vero pump.jpg
    3.8 KB · Views: 681
Upvote 0
OP
OP
Bigcypresshunter

Bigcypresshunter

Gold Member
Dec 15, 2004
South Florida
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
I wonder if they are pumping from a leased shipwreck area? I will have to check it out.

OP
OP
Bigcypresshunter

Bigcypresshunter

Gold Member
Dec 15, 2004
South Florida
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
I think one of our members has a lease just north of the pump platform, where a missing 1715 shipwreck is believed to be. Interesting.

Sandman

Gold Member
Aug 6, 2005
In Michigan now.
Detector(s) used
Excal 1000, Excal II, Sovereign GT, CZ-20, Tiger Shark, Tejon, GTI 1500, Surfmaster Pulse, CZ6a, DFX, AT PRO, Fisher 1235, Surf PI Pro, 1280-X, many more because I enjoy learning them. New Garrett Ca
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
CypressHunter, glad you out of the hospital.

Daisy

Apr 16, 2006
Ontario, Canada
May I ask why the gov. is doing this? Does the natural erosion pose a risk to structures or is it purely cosmetic? I hate to think of the damage being caused to the environment not to mention what else could be done with all that $$.

OP
OP
Bigcypresshunter

Bigcypresshunter

Gold Member
Dec 15, 2004
South Florida
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Sandman said:
CypressHunter, glad you out of the hospital.
Thanks. Im doing great.
Daisy said:
May I ask why the gov. is doing this? Does the natural erosion pose a risk to structures or is it purely cosmetic? I hate to think of the damage being caused to the environment not to mention what else could be done with all that $$.
Yes, it can pose a definite risk to beachside structures and roads. The oceans are rising because the glaciers are melting. Hurricanes are taking their tolls. Beachside properties are very expensive real estate and the beaches themselves are important for tourism. We are finding out how important dunes and their vegetation are to protecting the shoreline.

OP
OP
Bigcypresshunter

Bigcypresshunter

Gold Member
Dec 15, 2004
South Florida
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
A question I have for Wreckdiver or Bigdaddyflex. Do you think any 1715 artifacts could be picked up by this dredge and deposited on the beaches?

Chagy

Bronze Member
Dec 20, 2005
Florida
Detector(s) used
JW Fishers Pulse 8X
Primary Interest:
Shipwrecks
Hey Bro!!!!

Didnt know you were in the hospital...but glad to hear you are OK

I was in Corrigans last month with Rgecy the cuts were starting to get nice and now they are going to fill them up again? that sucks >:(

Attachments

• The Chagyman in Corrigans.jpg
    The Chagyman in Corrigans.jpg
    68.5 KB · Views: 514
  • The Chagywife in Corrigans.jpg
    The Chagywife in Corrigans.jpg
    79.6 KB · Views: 518
  • The Chagywife and RGecy JR.jpg
    The Chagywife and RGecy JR.jpg
    59.6 KB · Views: 509
  • The Chagyman in Corrigans.jpg
    The Chagyman in Corrigans.jpg
    68.5 KB · Views: 508
  • The Chagywife in Corrigans.jpg
    The Chagywife in Corrigans.jpg
    79.6 KB · Views: 521
  • The Chagywife and RGecy JR.jpg
    The Chagywife and RGecy JR.jpg
    59.6 KB · Views: 508
OP
OP
Bigcypresshunter

Bigcypresshunter

Gold Member
Dec 15, 2004
South Florida
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Nice pics, Chagy. I need to get up that way as soon as Im able. I would like to try my Head Hunter Pulse.

Dont worry. I believe the sand is only for Sandy Point and South. Last chance to search the Sandy Point wrecksite beach. (no access)

The thought that I am having is that the offshore dredge may pick up some relics and deposit them on the beaches for us to find. ;D This is not the trucked in crap at Wabasso and Corrigans. This will be dredged in pipes from just south of the Tracking Station and north of Rio Mar, I believe, and deposited from Sandepointe south.

OP
OP
Bigcypresshunter

Bigcypresshunter

Gold Member
Dec 15, 2004
South Florida
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Treasure Beaches must be the cleanest in the world!!! ;D ;D

Chagy

Bronze Member
Dec 20, 2005
Florida
Detector(s) used
JW Fishers Pulse 8X
Primary Interest:
Shipwrecks
bigcypresshunter said:
The thought that I am having is that the offshore dredge may pick up some relics and deposit them on the beaches for us to find. ;D This is not the trucked in crap at Wabasso and Corrigans. This will be dredged in pipes from just south of the Tracking Station and north of Rio Mar, I believe, and deposited from Sandepointe south.

If thats the case, then thats good for us, as a matter of fact I think thats great..........

OP
OP
Bigcypresshunter

Bigcypresshunter

Gold Member
Dec 15, 2004
South Florida
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Chagy, I dont know for sure that this dredge area contains relics, I am trying to ask Wreckdiver, Bigdaddyflex or anyone else that might know. If it picks up anything, yes, that would be great.

wreckdiver1715

Bronze Member
May 20, 2004
Satellite Beach
Detector(s) used
Minelab Excal 1000
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
bigcypresshunter said:
A question I have for Wreckdiver or Bigdaddyflex. Do you think any 1715 artifacts could be picked up by this dredge and deposited on the beaches?

bigcypresshunter, the short answer is yes! I have had the unfortunate pleasure of watching this contraption in operation as it destroyed our beaches in Brevard County a couple years back, they are just now starting to look natural again.

But, yes! large chunks of material can make it threw the machine, so it is possible that artifacts from an unknown wreck could be dredged up and spit out on the beach.

Tom

ronald99

Dec 13, 2006
Detector(s) used
MINELAB SE-Excalibur 1000-Minelab SD2200V2
This is a off the wall question,alot of these dredgers,know the value of the treasure out there,since gold is heavy,is it possible they could have modified some type of equipment,that while dredging,any gold could be intercepted,and collected while the wet sand is pumped thru the pipe towards the beach.Any comments.Ronald99 ???

OP
OP
Bigcypresshunter

Bigcypresshunter

Gold Member
Dec 15, 2004
South Florida
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
ronald99 said:
This is a off the wall question,alot of these dredgers,know the value of the treasure out there,since gold is heavy,is it possible they could have modified some type of equipment,that while dredging,any gold could be intercepted,and collected while the wet sand is pumped thru the pipe towards the beach.Any comments.Ronald99 ???
I dont know. They're being paid to dredge, not look for relics. I think it would slow them down too much. Somebody has to walk down to Sandy Point and check it out. It is a long walk from the nearest beach access unless you know somebody. The last time I was there I met a friendly Treasure hunter that lives on Sandy Point and invited me back, but I am still recovering from surgery.

mad4wrecks

Bronze Member
Dec 20, 2004
Detector(s) used
Aquapulse, DetectorPro Headhunter, Fisher F75
Primary Interest:
Shipwrecks
The dredging is completely indiscriminate. They don't care what gets sucked up and pumped on to the beach. Add yes Cypresshunter, there have been documented cases of a dredge cutting thru a wrecksite and depositing artifacts and coins on the beaches.

That dredge will be south of our exploration area

OP
OP
Bigcypresshunter

Bigcypresshunter

Gold Member
Dec 15, 2004
South Florida
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
gdaddyflex said:
The dredging is completely indiscriminate. They don't care what gets sucked up and pumped on to the beach. Add yes Cypresshunter, there have been documented cases of a dredge cutting thru a wrecksite and depositing artifacts and coins on the beaches.

That dredge will be south of our exploration area
Thanks. I think I will take a trip up there when able. I dont think the dredging has started yet. Who knows? I seem to have good luck. :)

gdaddyflex, I noticed that you were selling your Detectorpro HH. You didnt like it?

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread