Upvote 1

bill from lachine

Gold Member
Oct 30, 2011
Quebec
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Keep in mind some of the older urban sites have either been filled or landscaped over the years so finds might be out of reach.

That said probably worth a few more trips to see if there's some original soil at least in portion of the site....look for areas with black soil that's a good sign the soil has been undisturbed for a long time.

Regards + HH

Bill

rich f

May 29, 2013
mass
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
dfx 300
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
the silver is there just go slow and use headphones so u can hear the faintess sound

against the wind

Gold Member
Jul 27, 2015
Port Allegheny, Pennsylvania
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
E-trac, Excalibur, XP Deus, & CTX 3030.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I used the AT PRO for a few years. The deepest coin I recovered was a Mercury dime, using the 5 X 8 coil. The stock coil, ( 8 x 11), might gotten to deeper coins. It is not unusual for the Etrac to find coins at 10 inches. Churches that were built in the 1800's, often held social gatherings such as picnics, outdoor weddings, and meet and greet activities. Sunday school often had children running around on the property once school let out. It would be.hard to accept that there are no silver coins on that property.

Sandskimmer

Jul 6, 2014
Lancaster, Pa
Detector(s) used
BH Discovery 2200, Garrett AT Gold
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I feel your pain. I got a taste of silver in my mouth last month and now I'm fighting daylight and the frost trying to pull at least one or two more. I hear their high pitch tones taunting me...

Trezurehunter

Gold Member
Mar 22, 2003
Illinois / Oklahoma
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Minelab Equinox 800 - Fisher CZ 5
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I would have to agree with ATW & the others. Something is there If you are sure its never been hunted before.

Michiganne

Silver Member
Mar 27, 2007
SW Michigan
Detector(s) used
Explorer SE
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I agree with Bill, they may have brought in fill when they rebuilt the church in the 70's or pushed dirt around. :sadsmiley: Good luck when you go back!

HH

doninbrewster

Bronze Member
Jun 15, 2013
New York
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
CTX 3030
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Although the deacon said nobody had hunted the place, that's not always the case. Someone could have went there a number of times over the last 30 years. Silver is a strong signal on a metal detector and it's usually the first thing that comes out of the ground. I had this experience this year when I got permission to hunt a private school that was originally an old farm going back to the 1700's. Only found a little bit of clad. He said it had never been hunted, it obviously had been.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread