Ohio treasure legends and lore

• Thread starter Seeker Of Truth
  • Start date
S

Seeker Of Truth

I live in Johnstown Ohio and very new to relic and treasure hunting. I'm fascinated with history, adventure, and exploration. I was wandering if anyone had any information to old battle sites, witch hangings/burnings, native American sites, bootlegging, and the like.

If anyone is familiar with johnstown, you know that the remains of a mastodon was uncovered here in 1926 in a swampy part of a farmers property, and that the "bike path" leading to Alexandria, granville, and newark used to be a railroad, and once i get a metal detector I'm sure to comb along the edge of those long lost tracks.

Another thing that has me intrigued is the fact that the Buxton Inn resides in granville. The Inn was host to many stagecoach drivers starting in 1812, but I'm sure stagecoaches traveled that same patch of "Highway" before the Inn Stood there. Just imagine the treasures that could be found if you could get ahold of a map with the old stagecoach routes, and think of all the highwaymen that drank off of that stolen cash, and god knows what they did with the rest.

There is also a story about "Blood Hill" somewhere near Alexandria about i would say 10 to 15 min from johnstown. The story tells of a hill that in the night you can hear the sounds of muskets, horses, and native Americans engaged in battle, and smell the distinct aroma of blackpowder. I'm aware that Ohio took part in the french and Indian war, and their was small skirmishes between homested militias and native American forces, as i am very fond of military history and firearm history, i would appreciate any info on Blood Hill as well.

One last thing about Johnstown is the story of our local witch. There is a story saying there is a witches grave near johnstown, and especially during the month of Oct the witch is very active and is said to be seen crying at her grave and wandering around a small area surrounding her resting place. The witch was not burned, but hanged, and like most witch hunts I'm sure she was just a regular young lady that took blame or someones misfortune. If you have any info on the local history of this unfortunate lady, please share that with me as well.

I know this all just sounds like a bunch of ghost stories, but rumors and tall tales more often than not tend to be more revealing than fact, and i believe finding and preserving old stories and tall tales to be just as important as finding and preserving physical history.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread