OI: Tell us your What? Who? And Why? No proof needed here.

Dave Rishar

Silver Member
Mar 6, 2008
WA
Detector(s) used
Tesoro Vaquero, XP Deus, Vallon Gizmo
Just a thought, no one does a lot of work for no reason, next, if you buried millions , would you put a note above it saying how deep and how much was there? Unless You have dementia I doubt it , my thought it’s a decoy.

If I'd buried a treasure, it would be logical for me not to leave signs around encouraging people to dig for buried treasures. This would include a buried stone saying how much deeper the treasure would be.

Protecting my treasure buried in Oak Island with a stone in the wrong place is one approach. Another approach would be to bury a stone stating in very clear English that the treasure is actually buried in New York, and to go look for it there. An even better approach would not be to bury any stone at all.

An excavation of the sort that would have been required at Oak Island would have involved a good amount of planning done by intelligent people - the kind of planning and intelligence that would preclude some of the ridiculous absences of judgement that are required for most of the Oak Island theories to work logically. This is actually my biggest problem with the legend...it makes very little sense, and there were better options available.

fuceye

Dec 13, 2015
Detector(s) used
Whites xlt,ctx3030,equinox 850
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
If I'd buried a treasure, it would be logical for me not to leave signs around encouraging people to dig for buried treasures. This would include a buried stone saying how much deeper the treasure would be.

Protecting my treasure buried in Oak Island with a stone in the wrong place is one approach. Another approach would be to bury a stone stating in very clear English that the treasure is actually buried in New York, and to go look for it there. An even better approach would not be to bury any stone at all.

An excavation of the sort that would have been required at Oak Island would have involved a good amount of planning done by intelligent people - the kind of planning and intelligence that would preclude some of the ridiculous absences of judgement that are required for most of the Oak Island theories to work logically. This is actually my biggest problem with the legend...it makes very little sense, and there were better options available.

what if you were hiding it for someone else to find...what if it was not treasure at all...what if it was a ransom someone had to pay to keep a secret. I would make as difficult as possible to retrieve and leave clues to buy time .....

what if you were passing wealth on to your great grand children and wanted them to earn it....who is to say what went on in the minds of men that buried it. for all we know they were just mad with syphilis or mercury poisoning.

lokiblossom

Bronze Member
Dec 4, 2014
Traverse City, Mi.
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
what if you were hiding it for someone else to find...what if it was not treasure at all...what if it was a ransom someone had to pay to keep a secret. I would make as difficult as possible to retrieve and leave clues to buy time .....

what if you were passing wealth on to your great grand children and wanted them to earn it....who is to say what went on in the minds of men that buried it. for all we know they were just mad with syphilis or mercury poisoning.

What if it was proof of a possible church shattering secret? A secret that you knew had to be told but that the world was not ready for in the 13th/ 14th century. Something that a whole region and religion was destroyed for. You would hide it leaving clues as to its location that would perhaps be understood at a later date, like a time capsule but different of course.
Cheers, Loki

Last edited:

Charlie P. (NY)

Gold Member
Feb 3, 2006
South Central Upstate NY in the foothills of the h
Detector(s) used
Minelab Musketeer Advantage Pro w/8" & 10" DD coils/Fisher F75se(Upgraded to LTD2) w/11" DD, 6.5" concentric & 9.5" NEL Sharpshooter DD coils/Sunray FX-1 Probe & F-Point/Black Widows/Rattler headphone
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
A simpler solution is that the dozens of various searchers over the centuries have found all what was originally there . . . nothing.

Think of it - this is the only treasure legend that doesn't start with a known or lost treasure. Some kids thought something might have been buried on an island.

Looks like they thought wrong.

The rest is local restaurant and inn owners and the Nova Scotia tourist board keeping the dollars coming in.

Last edited:

GoDeep

Bronze Member
Nov 12, 2016
Detector(s) used
Whites, Garrett, Minelab
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Think of it - this is the only treasure legend that doesn't start with a known or lost treasure. Some kids thought something might have been buried on an island.

And just as simple as that. Spot on. Funny how imagination, speculation and so wanting something to be true created generations of fruitless searching!

ECS

Banned
Mar 26, 2012
Ocala,Florida
Primary Interest:
Other
A simpler solution is that the dozens of various searchers over the centuries have found all what was originally there . . . nothing.

The rest is local restaurant and inn owners and the Nova Scotia tourist board keeping the dollars coming in.
Very similar to the FOWLERS BLUFF on the Suwanee River pirate treasure chest hole legend in Florida with the local restaurant at the site promoting the tale and "allowing" digs.

http://www.fowlersbluff.net/about-html
http://www.gainesville.com/news/201...eps-treasure-hunters-digging-at-fowlers-bluff

Last edited:

lokiblossom

Bronze Member
Dec 4, 2014
Traverse City, Mi.
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting

I have always said that there was nothing hidden on Oak Island.

Doesn't take much to get a discussion going again does it?

Cheers, L.

Last edited:

fuceye

Dec 13, 2015
Detector(s) used
Whites xlt,ctx3030,equinox 850
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
what if the treasure when finally uncovered were a stone...and when you uncovered it...peace on earth was all it said.

Dave Rishar

Silver Member
Mar 6, 2008
WA
Detector(s) used
Tesoro Vaquero, XP Deus, Vallon Gizmo

I'm not sure that I understand what you're saying here.

I suppose that it could have been the work of crazy people. My own opinion is that the search for it is the work of crazy people.

If something had been buried there at the depth and under the conditions that we're discussing, it wasn't the work of one or two people though. It took a lot more than that. Were they all crazy?

What if was proof of a possible church shattering secret? A secret that you knew had to be told but that the world was not ready for in the 13th/ 14th century. Something that a whole region and religion was destroyed for. You would hide it leaving clues as to its location that would perhaps be understood at a later date, like a time capsule but different of course.

How do you time something like that? If I can put together a team of people to bury a treasure, you could conceivably put together a team of people to uncover it the very next day.

That is not just a simpler solution. That is the simplest solution.

I have always said that there was nothing hidden on Oak Island.

As have I, but some folks get darned angry when I point this out.

lokiblossom

Bronze Member
Dec 4, 2014
Traverse City, Mi.
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
How do you time something like that? If I can put together a team of people to bury a treasure, you could conceivably put together a team of people to uncover it the very next day.

You are right Dave, you would need a select group of people (sort of a priory) who could determine when to produce clues. The members of this group, would of course, have to remain anonymous wouldn't they?

Cheers, Loki

Raparee

Feb 18, 2016
Nova Scotia
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
You are right Dave, you would need a select group of people (sort of a priory) who could determine when to produce clues. The members of this group, would of course, have to remain anonymous wouldn't they?

Cheers, Loki

Wouldn't it make more sense for this fictional 'priory' to simply reveal this 'treasure' when the time was right, instead of producing clues in dribs and drabs through the centuries?

lokiblossom

Bronze Member
Dec 4, 2014
Traverse City, Mi.
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
Wouldn't it make more sense for this fictional 'priory' to simply reveal this 'treasure' when the time was right, instead of producing clues in dribs and drabs through the centuries?

You shouldn't be so quick to use the word "fictional". There were many "Priory's" through the years and this particular one couldn't be positive that it would survive, as a matter of fact, it almost didn't, Jean Cocteau could tell us stories I'm sure.

Cheers, Loki

rowanns

Jan 26, 2014
Nova Scotia
Detector(s) used
Garrett
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Lore and speculation posted as fact is not fact and ruins positive legitimate discourse by infusing false information into the discussion.

Well Troy was thought to have been a myth until it was found. I'm not sure why there is this need over and over again to dismiss lore as having no basis in fact. I have used Troy as an example of the dangers of discounting "lore" outright, but there are numerous examples throughout the history of archaeology whereby so-called myth or lore that folks dismiss outright has been used as the base to discover ruins. That is fact.

Last edited:

rowanns

Jan 26, 2014
Nova Scotia
Detector(s) used
Garrett
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting

There aren't a whole lot of tourist $$ coming in Charlie! Re: "this is the only treasure legend that doesn't start with a known or lost treasure" - since this is the thread for speculation, which is rather fun as it allows folks to "put it all out there" so to speak, there is the theory that the Templar wealth was never actually found. Folks will say Scotland or Portugal, but that can't be confirmed. So there is a basis for a lost treasure to equate with Oak Island. I am not saying I believe it, but I am saying that the idea is there and it does fit in with the Portuguese presence in this area. No one in the 1700s in these parts would have made that connection, but you know and I know that history or archaeology is always in flux and new tidbits of the past are uncovered every single day. So who knows! Cheers

Carl-NC

Bronze Member
Mar 19, 2003
Washington
Detector(s) used
Custom Designs and Prototypes
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
quote_icon.png
Originally Posted by Charlie P. (NY)

That is not just a simpler solution. That is the simplest solution.

Simplest solution.
Most logical solution.
Solution that fits all known evidence.

But...

Least exciting solution.
Solution that doesn't sell books or TV advertising.
Solution that doesn't support Big Time Treasure Hunter delusions.

rowanns

Jan 26, 2014
Nova Scotia
Detector(s) used
Garrett
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Done. No credible link exists between the Italian Columbus (who sailed for Spain) and the Portuguese Order of Christ. Not in anything that I found, anyhow. Some people have claimed that his father in law was grand master of the order, but that has not been verified. If he were a member of the Order, I wonder why the Portuguese crown at the time rejected his proposals ...

Hi Reparee, here is what I have been able to figure out regarding Columbus' father-in-law: Bartolomeu Perestrello was a member of the Portuguese Order of Saint James (Santiago). After Henry the Navigator died in 1460, mastership of the Knights of Christ passed to his heir, Ferdinand, who then led two orders – the Knights of Christ and the Order of Saint James (Santiago). Since Columbus’ father-in-law, Perestrello, was a member of the latter, and both were led by one man, I can see how Perestrello could be associated with both orders over hundreds of years. At times the orders were competitive, at other times not, but it is not unreasonable to assume sharing of knowledge. It's a bit of information, and not as strong a link as I would like to see, but it might be a lead. Just saying..... Cheers

ECS

Banned
Mar 26, 2012
Ocala,Florida
Primary Interest:
Other
Well Troy was thought to have been a myth until it was found.
I'm not sure why there is this need over and over again to dismiss lore as having no basis in fact.
I have used Troy as an example of the dangers of discounting "lore" outright, but there are numerous examples throughout the history of archaeology whereby so-called myth or lore that folks dismiss outright has been used as the base to discover ruins. That is fact.

What is a fact is that Troy- Ilios(Homer), Ilion(Greek), Ilium(Roman), Hisarik(Turkish) was well known to the ancient world, existing from 3000BCE- 550CE, it was never believed to be a myth.
There where 9 Troys, each built upon the other, Troy VI is considered as the Troy of Homer.
Alexander the Great visited Troy during his conquests and King Xerxes of Persia also stopped at Troy on the way to Greece.

The existence of TROY was never considered myth or lore,what was considered a "myth" was Homer's ILIAD, the story of the Greek and Trojan War with the assistance of various Gods & Goddesses taken sides in the battles.

https://www.ancient.eu/troy/

As you can see, rowanns, there is NO NEED to perpetuate the Troy as lore and myth as an example to prove your point. :thumbsup:

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread