OP
Jeff G

Jeff G

Nov 5, 2006
Indiana
Detector(s) used
Whites Classic II
rebelLT said:
buy yourself a GOOD digging tool!!! You will soon enough break 3 or 4 wal mart garden trowels and understand what I am saying. THE WORST EXPERIENCE in the world is to be in the middle of a good hund and break your only diging tool. Invest the money in a good one. Many of my hunts I only take the detector and the digging tool plus xtra battery pack.

If I break the one I bought I am in serious trouble. Heavy stainless blade, nice urethane handle. I almost bought a cheapy, but picked up this one--
http://www.lowes.com/lowes/lkn?action=productDetail&productId=24105-44675-1070866&lpage=none
I sharpened the edges to cut through sod better, put some small notches in to make a saw like edge.

For the probe and coin flipper I had some brass 3/16" rod in the shop, picked up a cheap oak table leg while I was at Lowes, drilled it out, epoxied the rod into the oak. It's quite comfortable. With the last piece of brass I pounded out the end to flatten it and mounted it in a piece of dowel I had lying around. A little clear lacquer on the wood finished those off.

I'll get some pictures later and post them. --I will get an avatar up tomorrow......

Thanks to all that have responded. Looks like I need to setup a "diggers" box in the truck to carry everything. Man, you guys are serious about this stuff....and I think I like it........ ;D

randall61

Bronze Member
Feb 10, 2004
Guntersville,Alabama
Detector(s) used
fisher 1236x2,viper trident
What's with all this???? All you need is a detector and a K-Bar knife!!! Oh, and extra batteries.
Oh yeah, headphones help a lot, too. And BTW, make sure your pants have BIG pockets.

Stacylee926

Dec 29, 2006
Portsmouth, VA
Detector(s) used
ACE 250; Discovery 1100
I always carry extra Walmart type bags in my car to collect trash.

Also - invaluable - Baby Wipes. Cleans your hands up nicely after rumaging in the mud.

OP
OP
Jeff G

Jeff G

Nov 5, 2006
Indiana
Detector(s) used
Whites Classic II
These are all great suggestions, especially the gloves and the baby wipes. I don't go anywhere without my first aid kit....

T

TreasureTales

Baby wipes are good for cleaning hands, butts, faces, and mud-encrusted coins. Never leave home without them.

lucky1777

Bronze Member
Aug 2, 2005
Illinois
TreasureTales said:
Baby wipes are good for cleaning hands, butts, faces, and mud-encrusted coins. Never leave home without them.
Good idea TT. But one suggestion, always and I mean always clean face before butt. ;D

T

TreasureTales

lucky1777 said:
TreasureTales said:
Good idea TT. But one suggestion, always and I mean always clean face before butt. ;D

To give credit where credit is due, the first to post them was Stacylee926. I merely explained why I carry them. And you are so right...gotta get the sequencing right. LOL I don't even want to go there. Talk about sh1t-faced. Sheesh.

Montana Jim

Gold Member
Sep 18, 2006
Montana
lucky1777 said:
TreasureTales said:

Hopefully that is something you either read in a book or was taught, and not something you learned from experience lucky!

Eu_citzen

Gold Member
Sep 19, 2006
Sweden
Detector(s) used
White's V3, Minelab Explorer II & XP Deus.
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
Ray S ECenFL said:
A few things the more serious MDer brings along:
Backhoe, jackhammer, C4, Detonating caps, firearms, flamethrower....................Oh, sorry, got carried away there.
Just kidding :D :D :D

Happy Hunting.

No your right, if your using a big coil and have problems to find your target take that C4 and make a BIG hole!

And if your hungry a Flamethrower will make your lunch warm.

Jackhammer is where you have to be more carefull like in the city parks, or in asphalt. (when C4 is to good)
;D

mgdigger

Jan 31, 2004
Los Osos, CA
Detector(s) used
Garrett GTA 1000 and ACE 250
Don't forget a 9mm to keep away all the bandits who want your stuff. Just kidding of course but there are times if I am way out in the woods I carry a small 32 cal for just in case times. At 6'3" 230 lbs and carring a small pick ax I don't get hassled much. But I do ALWAYS carry sunscreen and wear a hat.

OP
OP
Jeff G

Jeff G

Nov 5, 2006
Indiana
Detector(s) used
Whites Classic II
Eu_citzen said:
Ray S ECenFL said:
A few things the more serious MDer brings along:
Backhoe, jackhammer, C4, Detonating caps, firearms, flamethrower....................Oh, sorry, got carried away there.
Just kidding :D :D :D

Happy Hunting.

No your right, if your using a big coil and have problems to find your target take that C4 and make a BIG hole!

And if your hungry a Flamethrower will make your lunch warm.

Jackhammer is where you have to be more carefull like in the city parks, or in asphalt. (when C4 is to good)
;D

Anpho is easier to get or make..... Makes a nice hole. I can get thermite for that tough asphalt..... LOL...... ;D ;D ;D

Rave

Feb 28, 2007
Shropshire, England
Detector(s) used
XLT & Goldmaxx Power
I would think you'll find a spade more useful than a trowel. something secure to put your finds in....I know people who've put them in their pocket, then lost them again ::)

packerbacker

Gold Member
May 11, 2005
Northern California
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Don't tell the ladies but, I carry a plastic cat food container (empty of course) that has a screw-on lid. Say you are at a school on the weekend and the bathrooms are locked. There are other folks around so you can't use a tree. You can always get into your car and carefully take care of your immediate problem. In this case, the container is far more important than extra batteries. ;D (also carry hand wipes)

T

TreasureTales

packerbacker said:
Don't tell the ladies but, I carry a plastic cat food container (empty of course) that has a screw-on lid. Say you are at a school on the weekend and the bathrooms are locked. There are other folks around so you can't use a tree. You can always get into your car and carefully take care of your immediate problem. In this case, the container is far more important than extra batteries. ;D (also carry hand wipes)

Cat food container? LOL I'd need a 2 pound coffee can. Not bragging, either.

Rave

Feb 28, 2007
Shropshire, England
Detector(s) used
XLT & Goldmaxx Power
surprised-021.gif

OP
OP
Jeff G

Jeff G

Nov 5, 2006
Indiana
Detector(s) used
Whites Classic II
packerbacker said:

LOL... I have a jug I carry for camping for just these purposes...

S

stefen

randall61 said:
What's with all this???? All you need is a detector and a K-Bar knife!!! Oh, and extra batteries.
Oh yeah, headphones help a lot, too. And BTW, make sure your pants have BIG pockets.

I agree.

If someone took the time to list all of the crap recommended, you would need a truck or SUV just to carry all of it.

Lets see, add the cost of transportation of $20,000 - $35,000 to the cost of the MD machine and supplies, you now have an expenditure of $25 to $45k just to find a damn penny ;D so you can post it and get 20 or 30 atta-boys or way-to-go or I-envy-you-buddy ;D

What happened to a fun hobby?

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread