OK--first question...

silverswede

Dec 12, 2005
Pinehurst. Idaho
Detector(s) used
Minelab SOVEREIGN XS-2a PRO
As you can see each and everyone of us ends up with a different set of necessities and so will you. My don't forget it item is my kneeling pad as i'm ancient so a closed cell foam garden pad hangs by a bungee from my belt, dangling next to my right knee. I have my detector in one hand and my digger in the other so I can drop down on the pad with one knee. Some day I'll afford those fancy kneepads. Be watching for your pictures.

Rave

Feb 28, 2007
Shropshire, England
Detector(s) used
XLT & Goldmaxx Power
Clam Digga said:
Send Hedge Pics Rave

Oi!
catapult.gif

OP
OP
Jeff G

Jeff G

Nov 5, 2006
Indiana
Detector(s) used
Whites Classic II
Rave said:
we must be so uncouth in the UK..........everyone just nips behind a hedge!
surprised-034.gif

LOL, nope it's just over here they are so uptight about it they will arrest you..

The US is so uptight about any "exposure", it really is quite ridiculous.

rebelLT

Feb 26, 2007
SE Kansas
Detector(s) used
Explorer SE PRO, XLT, Teknetics Omega
I forgot one other thing, I always carry a glock 22. Though I carry that all the time anyway. If you are legal and can carry concealed then consider having a holster with triple retention, so's your pistol wont fall out when bending over! I always wear a large hooded sweatshirt with the big pockets in front, one side for trash the other for treasure, so I dont need a pouch and the big jacket covers the glock. I carry this because I hunt in old drug and scroatbag infested neighborhoods. Many of these people know and dont like me. I dont let that stop me though. Keep in mind that it is NOT LEGAL to carry a concealed weapon in most places and you could go to jail if caught! Some states allow you to carry a weapon on the hip as long as it not concealed though I would not recomend this. Some states issue concealed carry permits and most certified LEO's can carry concealed. Or.....just stay out of the old scary neighborhoods, Leave these for me and I will take car of the coins there! :)

OP
OP
Jeff G

Jeff G

Nov 5, 2006
Indiana
Detector(s) used
Whites Classic II
rebelLT said:
I forgot one other thing, I always carry a glock 22. Though I carry that all the time anyway. If you are legal and can carry concealed then consider having a holster with triple retention, so's your pistol wont fall out when bending over! I always wear a large hooded sweatshirt with the big pockets in front, one side for trash the other for treasure, so I dont need a pouch and the big jacket covers the glock. I carry this because I hunt in old drug and scroatbag infested neighborhoods. Many of these people know and dont like me. I dont let that stop me though. Keep in mind that it is NOT LEGAL to carry a concealed weapon in most places and you could go to jail if caught! Some states allow you to carry a weapon on the hip as long as it not concealed though I would not recomend this. Some states issue concealed carry permits and most certified LEO's can carry concealed. Or.....just stay out of the old scary neighborhoods, Leave these for me and I will take car of the coins there! :)

CCW permit in the wallet--Indiana is a carry state! I use to shoot competition combat pistol. I still keep my aim true, but the competition just became so costly to remain competitive I had to drop out.

Ray S ECenFL

Silver Member
Feb 17, 2007
East Central Florida WP
Detector(s) used
Whites XLT / M6
I guess what it all boils down to is this.

Better to have it and not need it, than to need it and not have it.

This goes for all the items, not just the firearms.

By the way FL also permits concealed weapons, with permit of course.

Happy Hunting

SC_hunter

Bronze Member
Jan 16, 2007
South Carolina
Detector(s) used
Whites V3i,Whites XLT,Ace 250 and BH Tracker IV and Others.....
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Hmmm..only thing I think of that hasn't been mentioned is...Bring a kid along and give them the shovel..lol No need for kneepads and no Ben Gay when you get home..LOL...HH

NH Bob

Jan 22, 2007
NH
Detector(s) used
E-Trac
2 gal. milk
a loaf of bread
1 dozen eggs
a lb. of bacon
Home fries and don't forget the ketchup

slowreaper

Feb 11, 2007
Turners Falls MA
SC_hunter said:
Hmmm..only thing I think of that hasn't been mentioned is...Bring a kid along and give them the shovel..lol No need for kneepads and no Ben Gay when you get home..LOL...HH

Bring a few kids, they can carry all that stuff for you. So you won't have to make that long walk back to the car.

Brad

rebelLT

Feb 26, 2007
SE Kansas
Detector(s) used
Explorer SE PRO, XLT, Teknetics Omega
Sorry, I have one more comment about this subject, what to take/not take.... EARPHONES. When I started hunting YEARS ago I used them always. You have probably heard the oldtimers talk about the "whisper" of deep coins before, headphones help you hear that whisper. NOW. I do not use earphones now because.........as I said earlier, I hunt in old, kinda dangarous neighborhoods and it VERY IMPORTANT to be aware of what is happening around you. If you are hunting in an iffy place then learn to divide your attention. Years ago I hunted at Ft Knox Kentucky and never even considered the dangers that surround us all while hunting. NOW I have found that the old neighborhoods are full of good goins and jewelry and I am too stupid to stay away! Plus most THers stay away from these area because they are, simply put, dangerous. Though, the reward is tremendous! I also hunt alot of curbs (if anyone hasnt mentioned it yet, old parkays (sp) are full of tons of old coins) and you really need to pay attention to the fools driving by. My best advise would be to learn your detector without using headphones so that you will not rely on them later. Dont get so involved in the hunt that you put your safety at risk and learn to anticipate what you will need on a hunt. I remember someone saying that a rubber mat is good for yards. If you think you might need that, or bug spray, or a hat to keep the sun from you eyes, or a shovel, etc etc, then by all means have them available. Though I would recomend that you keep it simple and travel light so you can get more hunting time in.

I hope you the best of luck and fortune in your hunts! If you stick with it, dont lose interest and end up storing hats etc on your detector in the closet, then you will find THing a MOST rewarding hobby.

Treasuredawg

Mar 19, 2006
Northern Arkansas
Detector(s) used
Minelab Exployer II, Xterra 30
Jeff all this is good advise.....but there is only 4 maybe 5 things you REALLY need.....depends on the weather.

1. Hot weather ....COLD BEER!!
2. Cold weather....Evan Williams
3. Metal Detector
4. Digger

After a few cold ones....you won't care about all the other stuff!!!

Treasuredawg

OP
OP
Jeff G

Jeff G

Nov 5, 2006
Indiana
Detector(s) used
Whites Classic II
Treasuredawg said:
Jeff all this is good advise.....but there is only 4 maybe 5 things you REALLY need.....depends on the weather.

1. Hot weather ....COLD BEER!!
2. Cold weather....Evan Williams
3. Metal Detector
4. Digger

After a few cold ones....you won't care about all the other stuff!!!

Treasuredawg

OK, small change here, I prefer Knob Creek.... ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D

Eu_citzen

Gold Member
Sep 19, 2006
Sweden
Detector(s) used
White's V3, Minelab Explorer II & XP Deus.
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
slowreaper said:
SC_hunter said:

Bring a few kids, they can carry all that stuff for you. So you won't have to make that long walk back to the car.

Brad
You got that wrong thats the modern 'pack mule' you are reffering to. :P

EDDE

Gold Member
Dec 7, 2004
Detector(s) used
Troy X5
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
toilet paper in a ziploc bag not joking

OP
OP
Jeff G

Jeff G

Nov 5, 2006
Indiana
Detector(s) used
Whites Classic II
This has been great,
There are some great ideas, some great funnies...

Even I never find anything interesting, at least the forum is fun..

fantum

Feb 23, 2007
Missouri
Detector(s) used
ace 250
I am as new as you but today I discovered that I needed some old shoes to wear cause it's already messing up my shoes! & I already have need for one of those coin tumblers... I had thought I had everything I needed when I bought the md & some lil shovels...

packerbacker

Gold Member
May 11, 2005
Northern California
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Hey treasure.....don't strain your eyes. It says "Net wt. 3.5 lbs." ;D
PS....note to self: Don't ask anyone from across the pond if they want to take a little nip

Attachments

• catfood.JPG
    catfood.JPG
    31.2 KB · Views: 262
OP
OP
Jeff G

Jeff G

Nov 5, 2006
Indiana
Detector(s) used
Whites Classic II
fantum said:
I am as new as you but today I discovered that I needed some old shoes to wear cause it's already messing up my shoes! & I already have need for one of those coin tumblers... I had thought I had everything I needed when I bought the md & some lil shovels...

Are you good with your hands???

Go to a flea market, find an old vibrator massage unit or old vibrating foot massager. Take it apart. It's basically a small motor with an offset weight on it. Mount that to a board--firmly. On the other side mount a large plasic tupperware bowl. Suspend all of that off of bolts with springs above another board--this lets the bowl vibrate. Fill the bowl with polishing media(I like crushed walnuts). you can then add your coins and turn it on. I built mine for polishing brass firearms cases for reloading. I will now use it to polish up finds.

My entire polishing unit set me back about $5.

diggummup

Gold Member
Jul 15, 2004
Somewhere in the woods
Detector(s) used
Whites M6
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Depending on the time of year and what part of the country your in,bug repellent is a must,9 mos. out of the year down here.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread