Sep 28, 2007
Dirtyville
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Deus
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Ok here's a question!

If I had two envelopes to choose from, one was the location of a great sale, and the other a great detecting site, which are you going to take? :)

I think most would look at the sale as having more potential for monetary value, but of course you never know what a great detecting site could hold. Value of course comes into play on a question like this, but I'm looking for more the answer of what gives you more of an adrenaline rush... and for me I am always going to pick detecting. I can get pretty fired up about making a great flip, but it just doesn't compare to hunting a great site and actually pulling stuff out of the ground. Now if you said I'd make 10k from the sale, and find 1k of items from the ground, well I would take the money... but I'm not talking those type of extremes. I should also add my buying is online so don't really have the experience of getting up, grabbing coffee, and going on an adventure like I do with detecting, so that probably plays a big role for me too. I absolutely love both but detecting is more like a drug.

OP
OP
Iron Patch

Iron Patch

Gold Member
Sep 28, 2007
Dirtyville
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Deus
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I'm going to the sale.

$10,000 in profits would buy me a bunch of detecting time.

Making 10k wasn't the premiss of the question. It was which gives you the rush or greater satisfaction.

diggummup

Gold Member
Jul 15, 2004
Somewhere in the woods
Detector(s) used
Whites M6
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
As long as the detecting site was anywhere but a Florida beach (unless after a hurricane, lol), i'd take it over the sale. Never a shortage of sales around here. Always a shortage of good detecting sites though. Besides, if a sale is listed as great then it probably isn't. I'm bored with detecting the beach.

Last edited:

NJ Marty

Jun 7, 2008
NJ
Detector(s) used
Minelab Explorer XS Minelab E-trac
I would choose the great detecting site. For me the rush of unearthing a neat find that hasn't been touched by another human for 200 years or so outweighs the rush of flipping a garage sale find. Id rather find a handful of ordinary flat buttons then flip a led zeppelin lp I got for a few dollars.

Nickleanddime

Jul 21, 2013
a, ohio
Detector(s) used
A $10 garage sale find.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I'd choose the sales, my wife gets a rush along with me when we find a great score in the hunt. I like metal detecting don't get me wrong, but for me it's easier to find a good sale then a good place to hunt.

MUD(S.W.A.T)

Gold Member
Apr 15, 2005
Detector(s) used
I use, Whites MXT and Garrett AT Pro.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I'm going with detecting for sure.... Its my number one passion and you can't find what you find with a detector at most sales.... How many 1698 William III coppers, pine tree shillings, Spanish silver or older rarer coins and relics are found at sales ? So that's three reasons for me to go with detecting. Good question !! :headbang:

Keep @ it and HH ! :hello2:

inspectorgadget

Jul 14, 2012
Indianapolis
Detector(s) used
Whites MXT with 10"DD coil, Sun Ray probe
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
If its a guaranteed "great" detecting site & you some how make it turn warm outside here then I'm all in but the things I find in pallets at my favorite auction is just as good especially when you find it in the stuff others bought & threw away! My best coin day in some stuff someone threw away was 6 peace dollars (3 22's & 3 23's) 3 silver halves (Franklin, Walking, 64 Kennedy) & a 63 red seal $2 bill ALL in uncirculated condition except the walker, it was trashed. I have never matched that type of silver find detecting but if I ever did I would be elated beyond belief. I did find a stash or small hoard of 7 sterling spoon rings detecting once, they were about half the value of the coins & the bill I found.

I have one of those "great" detecting sites I've been putting off for a good year now. Like saving the best for last type thing but last never comes. I just know it will yield some good stuff for my area & I highly doubt its ever been touched. And now it's to cold here to be detecting... Maybe this spring! It's one of the old governors retreat houses that is long gone other than part of a foundation, it's deep in some woods on forestry property that you can hunt & do whatever on. The house has been gone since the 50's & only hunters (& loggers every 5 years or so, that's how I found out about it) go back where its at now. There are some Indian caves not to far (walking distance) from this place as well so I'm told. Info on the property is impossible to find online but old aerial photos confirm a road & something was very much back there in the 40's. Sometimes just thinking about it is as good as doing it as you just never know what you might find!

Pointman

Silver Member
Feb 18, 2013
Arkansas
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
I’ve used about all modern ones but right now: CTX 3030, White’s MXT Pro, XP Deus, Vaquero, White’s TRX
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
The detecting site, unless the sale was for a good deal on detecting equipment.

Does this question pertain to a particular Black Friday sale that you skipped out on to go detecting instead?

OP
OP
Iron Patch

Iron Patch

Gold Member
Sep 28, 2007
Dirtyville
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Deus
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
The detecting site, unless the sale was for a good deal on detecting equipment.

Does this question pertain to a particular Black Friday sale that you skipped out on to go detecting instead?

No, my sale is always on because I do my buying on ebay. I love both it and detecting, and I certainly buy way more awesome stuff than I find, but it's pulling decent finds out at an old site that's a little bigger rush for me.

clovis97

Silver Member
Dec 9, 2010
Making 10k wasn't the premiss of the question. It was which gives you the rush or greater satisfaction.

There is no question in my mind: The estate sale, period.

I still haven't found anything great with my detector.

However, I do love a good estate sale. While it is starting to get a bit stale after all of these years, I still love finding treasure at a sale.

flinthunter

Jan 3, 2011
Illinois
Detector(s) used
E-Trac, V3i, DFX
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
The great detecting site for sure. Great sales can be found on occasion, but great detecting sites are rare.

billjustbill

Bronze Member
Feb 23, 2008
Texas
Detector(s) used
Minelab SN/XS
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
In "raising funds" for an "Off Grid" solar electric array, having our own garage sales and even setting up at a flea market gave me a good return on my work and costs. But it is when I realized that the "BEST" way of raising profits was going to garage sales and some estate sales to find gold and silver jewelry, and several other types of money making inventory. It's been 2-1/2 years since I've sold any silver, but when I had under $250 spent for any and all types of sterling silver finds and Registered Mail cost, but when I got a check back from the refiner for $2,003.00, hands down, garage sales are the winner. On a good sale, the adrenalin pumps by the gallon becoming almost habit forming....

I still detect about once a month. But overall, I find at least 10 times more at sales than I can find detecting. While going to garage sales is something I share with my wife along hunting for her interests and adding another pair of eyes. But, for me, metal detecting is far less stressful and more of a single person activity.

So, if you've got the whole day, go to the sale first, then go detecting the rest of the day. It's a WIN/WIN combination...:icon_thumright:

Attachments

• Kyocera new panels 2010-05-31-0006.JPG
    Kyocera new panels 2010-05-31-0006.JPG
    399.2 KB · Views: 66
  • Garage sale silver sent to ARA 2.jpg
    Garage sale silver sent to ARA 2.jpg
    83.5 KB · Views: 62

d2

Bronze Member
Mar 18, 2005
Arkansas
Detector(s) used
Tesoro/Cibola Garrett ATPro
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
Detecting site for me. I have sold only 3 items since I started detecting and I started detecting hard back in the 90's. I sold 3 bullets and bought a Browning shotgun a box of shells and a pair of rubber boots for turkey season one year. I like holding history in my hand and one of my favorite things to find is the common 3 ringer bullet with ramrod marks on it. When you can see the ramrod marks you know the guy ramming that bullet home was in a bind. He was in a battle line and it was shoot or get shot. All the reason's for the Civil War are found in that little circle on the top of that bullet. Weather one was fighting for the union or fighting to keep out yankee invaders every reason and purpose for them standing there and fighting for their beliefs regardless of what they were, are to me, impressed upon the top of that bullet...d2

Rodbuster209

Oct 26, 2010
Northern California
Detector(s) used
MineLab SE, Excaliber 1000, Sovereign, White's SpectrumXLT
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Right now and the last couple of years going to Garage,yard,family run estate sales is what gives me the adrenaline rush, sometimes so bad I have a hard time sleeping the night before, I primarily look for precious metals so being the first one to a sale and seeing jewelry,Score! I am addicted,as for detecting I have been fortunate enough to have researched a spot that has produced three $5.00 gold pieces(my avatar picture) and a over 100 other coins and tokens,the oldest being a 1842 seated dime and the newest a 1926 wheat penny, with the majority dating between 1890 and 1910 which is fairly old for the west coast so it is hard to go detecting without comparing it to the spot! Hitting sales in the morning then taking my Excaliber water hunting at local fresh water beaches gets the heart pumping also! Good luck and Happy hunting!..........Scott.

Attachments

• P1010072.JPG
    P1010072.JPG
    661.1 KB · Views: 54

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread