Thrift Store Gold!

palidin20603

Bronze Member
Jul 16, 2011
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I got to the TS late for Black Friday (6:30) and found this 14k ruby solitiare ring hidden in a jewlery case under some sterling bracelets for $20 bucks. It is very very thin and weighs less than 1 gram. The mark on the inside looks either strecthed or "14 K L". I believe I will get it tested. The "ruby" mount looks legit and has an opening under the ring for the stone to rest in, so I think that is good. Let me know if you see any concerns with the rings authenticity.

P.S. They had a 14k gold case Bulova mens watch there for $399.00, but I stay away from watches because I have no knowledge at all.

Attachments

• Ruby Ring 1.jpg
    Ruby Ring 1.jpg
    253.6 KB · Views: 139
  • Ruby Ring 2.jpg
    Ruby Ring 2.jpg
    247.4 KB · Views: 121

diggummup

Gold Member
Jul 15, 2004
Somewhere in the woods
Detector(s) used
Whites M6
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
That ring looks just fine to me. You can probably get at least $45-$50 for it, or more maybe if you can get a good macro pic of the stone. Looks like an older ring. Some woman tried to sell me a similar ruby solitaire ring yesterday for $80. I passed.

Last edited:

MUD(S.W.A.T)

Gold Member
Apr 15, 2005
Detector(s) used
I use, Whites MXT and Garrett AT Pro.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
0.9 grams of 14k gold is worth $21.13, scrap. Can we get a pic of the stone ? :icon_scratch: Its hard to sell stones to places that buy gold and silver... Also its such a small stone, its not going to be worth a whole lot. Unless you do this for a career and have a ebay account and can get every penny... :dontknow: I'd give this one to a loved one or someone. Its would be hard for me to get my money back. I just sell to dealers for quick cash they only pay scrap, so for me I would only make a few dollars... :laughing7: I hope the L does not stand for "layered". So many marks on things, its hard to know for sure. That's why its best to acid test it...

Awesome find, Keep @ it and HH !! :hello2:

insontis

Aug 27, 2013
Blue Springs, MO
Detector(s) used
Garret AT Pro
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Wow for a thrift store they sure do mark some stuff up high! Sounds like they REALLY know what they are doing.. I was thinking the one that I go to was getting too smart when they mark up some of the sterling jewelry they catch to $10..

However, it would seem that your store has a greater selection. I'm fairly certain most of the precious metal items that come in never hit the sales floor...

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread