Bronze Member
Mar 19, 2003
Washington
Detector(s) used
Custom Designs and Prototypes
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
WingNut47 said:
My Whites 5000D is acting eratic, some times it works OK other times it won't detect anything. Could the type batterys have anything to do with it? Even with energiser batterys it only goes about 1 to 2" if the ground is wet, dry ground your lucky to pick up a coin on the serfice.

A 5000/D (series 1) would be over 30 yrs old now... I'd guess at a bad loop, the foam and shield often eventually breaks down.

- Carl

Frankn

Gold Member
Mar 21, 2010
Maryland
Detector(s) used
XLT , surfmaster PI , HAYS 2Box , VIBRA-TECTOR
Carl just gave you my #1 guess. My #2 guess would be the batter connections both at the cells and at the box connection. These connections can cause all kinds of problems. Frank

occupant

Tenderfoot
Apr 28, 2011
Hey WingNut,
Carl is always right :-) But whenever a detector is doing something odd, I always suspect batteries first. Just like you do. If the detector has a battery check circuit, and the batts check good, then they are probably not the problem. If they check bad or iffy and you know for sure that they are good, then suspect the connectors. Battery test circuits put a load on the batteries, or read the battery voltage while the detector is powered up. Even a good battery has a hard time feeding the circuit thru corroded connections. I use a cleaner by Caig Labs called DeOxit. I've seen it perform miracles before. Most any electronics shop will have a can on the repair bench. Maybe they would be willing to put a dab on the battery connections, for you. I use a small artists brush to put the tiniest film on connections. That's all you really need. And, it's too expensive to slosh it on. Radio Shack sells a small spray can of it along with another can of Pro Gold contact treatment, but it's $15 or so. Doesn't hurt to brush a bit on the coil connector pins as well.
HH,
Roger in VA

Al D

Bronze Member
Jul 23, 2011
Gold canyon AZ
Detector(s) used
DJI Air 2S
Primary Interest:
Cache Hunting
Hello
All the mentioned suspects are great and here is one more for you;
I would check the switch contacts and the trim pots, when they get dirty or worn you get lots of gremlins.
Best Regards
Alan

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread