Need some HELP Please

WingNut47

Greenie
Jun 18, 2011
Eunice, La
Detector(s) used
Whites 5000D coinmaster
OK I have a Whites 5000D, i thought was trashed but cleaned it up, Put in new batteries and after it stopped raining the next day went out and tried it out worked well enough to find about $4.00 and a nice Nugget ring. the deepest coin was only about 11/2" deep. the batteries went down so I bought some more(cheap ones) Now that the ground is drying I can only find coins right under the serfice. I turned my dis. all the way down and it is so erratic I gave up I think it is time for a new one, But hopefully it will be a easy fix Thank You

Dwight S

Apr 26, 2010
NC
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT-Pro & White's TDI & Tesoro Compass uMax
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
Do you have the manual? If not go to the White's web site and download it and read it. Maybe it'll tell you how to adjust it, or troubleshoot the trouble you're having. I don't really have a good answer. Contact White's and see if their tech support can help.

Good luck.

Tom_in_CA

Gold Member
Mar 23, 2007
Salinas, CA
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Explorer II, Compass 77b, Tesoro shadow X2
Dwight, Do you have a 5000d series I, or series II?

For a person to adequately answer your question, they would have to see and hear what you're doing, see where and what you're detecting, etc... I think it's just too hard to answer such a question in print, because no one can see what you're doing, what sounds you're chasing vs. rejecting, how you've got your controls set up, what type ground/location you were at where you found coins, vs the locations/grounds you moved to, where you didn't find coins.

For example (and this is only an example, so don't get "lost in the example"): One time I corresponded with a guy via email. He lives about an hour away from me. He'd gotten an XLT, read the instructions from cover to cover, and then taken it out for the maiden voyage. But he wasn't getting any depth, he complained. Or worse yet, targets would just "dissapear". So he emailed me, and we exchanged several back & forth emails, where he attempted to explain his settings, the sounds he was hearing, the nature of how they "dissapear", and so forth. And each time, I tried to diagnose what the problem may be. After several attempts, he sent the machine in to the factory for repairs, since it was obviously "broken", in his opinion. They sent it back to him and told him "nothing's wrong with it". So he took it out again, and the SAME problems continued. So he sent it back yet again for "repairs", with terse notes to the knuckle-heads who obviously can't fix a problem.

Finally, the fellow and I got together for a hunt, to compare and mentor IN PERSON. It took me 30 seconds to see the problem: everytime he would hear a signal, he'd slow down to "hear it better". But you see, the XLT is a motion discriminator, so when he'd slow down, the target would "dissapear". Only very shallow ones (that didn't need much motion) would remain. I immediately alerted him to his mistake, and he went on to enjoy the machine.

But do you see the point? No amount of printed text instruction could convey to me, over emails (or printed text on forums, or printed text in instruction manuals) could adequately convey the problem. The issue had to be SEEN and HEARD to be able to address. In fact, I even chided him, and asked him: "I thought you said you read the instruction book from cover to cover. Didn't you see the part that said 'motion required' when in disc. mode?" He said yes, that he had read that part. However, he just assumed it meant that you had to swing the coil, from side to side, in motion, as you walked. And to him, that was an odd instruction, because ...... DOH, how ELSE is a person supposed to progress through the field, unless they are moving, and swinging the coil? I mean, OF COURSE a person is going to swing the coil, lest they'd never be moving along detecting. You see, the printed instructions simply couldn't adequately convey what "motion required" meant. Or required leeooonggg drawn out hard knocks lessons ::)

Thus I think questions like yours, fall under the same constraints. It gets difficult when someone comes on with a cryptic: "My machine beeps all the time, what's the problem?" type questions.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread