Bronze Member
May 19, 2014
Montana
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Minelab E-Trac, Deteknix X-Pointer, Garrett Pro Pointer
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
I have talked about how my Fisher f2 8" coil will not give a proper ID at any depth. I thought it was the coil and Fisher said they will have someone contact me to replace the coil. Today after air testing the sniper coil (which gave stable ID's in air tests) I went to the fairgrounds, I only got targets that were surface finds or no more than 2 inches below the surface. Should I just send the whole unit back for repair?

steve1357

May 17, 2013
Arkansas
Detector(s) used
Tesoro Fisher Teknetics Garrett
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
What does it do on quarters on the 4" coil?

Didn't we get 5" earlier?

crazy4coins

Jul 9, 2013
Detector(s) used
Fisher F2, Garrett Pro Pointer, Lesche Digger
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
I have talked about how my Fisher f2 8" coil will not give a proper ID at any depth. I thought it was the coil and Fisher said they will have someone contact me to replace the coil. Today after air testing the sniper coil (which gave stable ID's in air tests) I went to the fairgrounds, I only got targets that were surface finds or no more than 2 inches below the surface. Should I just send the whole unit back for repair?

Probably just weren't any targets deeper than 2 inches. As the owner of an F2 I've had such hunts and I was beginning to lose faith in the unit until I hit a field were just about every coin was 6-8 inches down... In soil right next to to the ocean.

Hookedondetecting

Jul 18, 2013
Michigan
Detector(s) used
Tesoro COMPADRE and Mohave
ORX and Deus II
Fisher F 75 LTD "2"
Minelab 600
Minelab Explorer SE Pro
Makro Multi Kruzer
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Find yourself some 1982 or earlier pennies. They are almost pure copper. Go where you can use you unit with no EMI and dig some holes at different depths and bury them.
Test your unit. You can always go back and test months or years from now

crazy4coins

Jul 9, 2013
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Find yourself some 1982 or earlier pennies. They are almost pure copper. Go where you can use you unit with no EMI and dig some holes at different depths and bury them.
Test your unit. You can always go back and test months or years from now

Yeah, freshly buried coins are very hard to detect.

OP
OP
mikeraydj

mikeraydj

Bronze Member
May 19, 2014
Montana
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Thanks for the advice. I will try burying some coins tomorrow and see what results I get.

OP
OP
mikeraydj

mikeraydj

Bronze Member
May 19, 2014
Montana
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
I am already nervous because my 8" coil will not give me any steady readings for coins on the surface. Talked to Fisher and they said it was a bad coil. The bad news was that it was a demo unit from Kellyco so I have to go though them to get a replacement. Now I am afraid the whole unit is bad, because my sniper coil only has been finding coins on the surface or at the most 2" below the surface when I went to an old school yard that I know must have had some coins deeper than that.

Last edited:
OP
OP
mikeraydj

mikeraydj

Bronze Member
May 19, 2014
Montana
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
I tried the copper penny test. I used a 1977 penny buried in 4" of soil, no EMI, max sensitivity, 4" sniper coil. No reading. 3" and ID jumps all over the place. 2" mostly dime reading, Surface steady dime ID. Is that normal or should it ID deeper?

OP
OP
mikeraydj

mikeraydj

Bronze Member
May 19, 2014
Montana
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
I tried the copper penny test. I used a 1977 penny buried in 4" of soil, no EMI, max sensitivity, 4" sniper coil. No reading. 3" and ID jumps all over the place. 2" mostly dime reading, Surface steady dime ID. Is that normal or should it ID deeper?

crazy4coins

Jul 9, 2013
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting

It's a fresh garden, so the VID numbers probably won't be accurate for another year or so.

Hookedondetecting

Jul 18, 2013
Michigan
Detector(s) used
Tesoro COMPADRE and Mohave
ORX and Deus II
Fisher F 75 LTD "2"
Minelab 600
Minelab Explorer SE Pro
Makro Multi Kruzer
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Real copper pennies will read the somewhat the same as a modern dime. I would expect your unit to read deeper.

steve1357

May 17, 2013
Arkansas
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

On my F2 using the 4" coil, I got 5.5" using a quarter on an air test.

"I got out my F2 to check....

Using 8" stock coil, default sensitivity, a clad quarter is 77-79 solid to 7.5".
I also had the discrimination set for everything out except the top two dime and quarter segments.

Using the 4" coil, default sensitivity, solid 77-78 to 5.5"

OP
OP
mikeraydj

mikeraydj

Bronze Member
May 19, 2014
Montana
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
I air tested my 8" coil and could only get a Quarter 77-78 to 4 1/2". Lost all signal by 7". Using 4" sniper 77-78 to 4" lost at 5". Is it a bad F2? In test garden could not pick up the Quarter at 6", nickle, dime, copper penny, and zinc lost @ 4".

Last edited:

steve1357

May 17, 2013
Arkansas
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I air tested my 8" coil and could only get a Quarter 77-78 to 4 1/2". Lost all signal by 7". Using 4" sniper 77-78 to 4" lost at 5". Is it a bad F2? In test garden could not pick up the Quarter at 6", nickle, dime, copper penny, and zinc lost @ 4".

Is there a difference between your coil and the coil Fisher sent you?

BARKER

Bronze Member
Nov 1, 2011
BOSTON
Detector(s) used
Whites DFX, Garrett GMH, Toltec 100, Whites PI 3000, Fisher 75, Whites Silver Eagle 2, Whites Beachcomber, and several others from 1968 to Present
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Hi mikeraydj; Keep it simple. Just send in the whole unit. You obviously have a problem with the Unit as well as possibly with the search coils. My bet would be on the Unit being faulty not the coils. THAT would be a first for me in 45 years. I've NEVER had a search coil fail ok. Hope this helps. PEACE:RONB

OP
OP
mikeraydj

mikeraydj

Bronze Member
May 19, 2014
Montana
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
I have not gotten new coils.

I went to Fisher and told them my problem. They said they cannot help me as Kellyco used the unit as a demo so any problems need to be directed to them, even though I was sold saying that I had a full factory warranty. This transaction has turned into a nightmare. I hope to see some light at the end of the tunnel. I bought this for this summer. Kellyco says they will contact me tomorrow morning. We will see what happens.

OP
OP
mikeraydj

mikeraydj

Bronze Member
May 19, 2014
Montana
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
I talked to Kellyco. They said they would get back to me as my salesperson was off. They didn't. I had to call them. After much arguing about how I must not know what I am doing and how my state has bad mineralization, even though the last time I checked we all had the same air. Flunked air tests. They gave me a RMA number and said they will take a look at it. So I have to pay shipping to get it back to FLA. and maybe it will get fixed.

Gene@Kellyco

Dec 15, 2011
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I talked to Kellyco. They said they would get back to me as my salesperson was off. They didn't. I had to call them. After much arguing about how I must not know what I am doing and how my state has bad mineralization, even though the last time I checked we all had the same air. Flunked air tests. They gave me a RMA number and said they will take a look at it. So I have to pay shipping to get it back to FLA. and maybe it will get fixed.

Hey Mikeraydj,

Shoot me an email with your contact info and I will look into this for you. Just to clarify, if someone purchases a "demo" Fisher unit through us that has a warranty, Fisher is to honor it. That is an agreement we have with Fisher and if anyone else is in this situation please contact me right away and I will straighten it out for you.

Gene Knight
Director of International
and Domestic Sales
Kellyco Metal Detectors
[email protected]

OP
OP
mikeraydj

mikeraydj

Bronze Member
May 19, 2014
Montana
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
I sent you my info and have not heard anything from you or your company.

Treasure_Hunter

Administrator
Staff member
Jul 27, 2006
Florida
Detector(s) used
Minelab_Equinox_ 800 Minelab_CTX-3030 Minelab_Excal_1000 Minelab_Sovereign_GT Minelab_Safari Minelab_ETrac Whites_Beach_Hunter_ID Fisher_1235_X
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I sent you my info and have not heard anything from you or your company.
I just contacted Gene he should reply shortly.

why did you wait 18 days to say you haven't heard back?

American by birth, Patriot by choice.

I would rather die standing on my two feet defending our Constitution than live a lifetime on my knees......

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread