Other
Upvote 0

Chug And Red

Gold Member
Feb 18, 2010
Vancouver WA
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Chug)Whites Classic 5 ID, (Red Whites Coin master Pro)

Chug and Reds New Additions

Give It Up>> Garrett's AT Pro
Buttercup>> Garrett's Ace 250
Show Me the Money>> Garrets Ace 400
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Re: OK SO you want to know what they find in Mexico. Let's ask

:icon_thumleft: Yes we would, please! :icon_thumright: Red

LM

Dec 11, 2007
South
Detector(s) used
Charts and Maps.
Primary Interest:
Shipwrecks

Agreed.
I'd love to see what finds our MD'ing friends are coming up with in Mexico.
There are some places in Mexico I'd absolutely LOVE to hit with a regular MD or even a two-box unit.

Lakemonster

Mar 20, 2011
Chandler Tx
Detector(s) used
White's VX3, Garrett AT PRO, Tesoro Cibola
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting

How bout a couple of stories while we wait.

I was detecting a park a few months ago and a fellow who moved here in the late 70's came over and talked to me.
He told me a couple of treasure stories from Mexico about people he knew. True or not? Who knows?

1. A man in the area he came from had an old earthen wall on his property. Evidently he he found out there was supposedly treasure hidden in the wall. He went along the wall meticulously tapping the sides of it with a hammer....this went on for three days. The man suddenly disappeared leaving a wife and children behind. There was a large hole at the base of the wall where a cavity was and it was empty.

2. Another man was quarrying stones in dry wash and uncovered a cache of old rifles in a small cave higher up the banks of the wash.

OP
OP
Keppy

Keppy

Gold Member
Nov 19, 2006
N.E. Ohio on lake Erie
Detector(s) used
** WHAT ONE I FEEL LIKE ON HUNTING DAY *****
Primary Interest:
Other

Lakemonster said:
How bout a couple of stories while we wait.

I was detecting a park a few months ago and a fellow who moved here in the late 70's came over and talked to me.
He told me a couple of treasure stories from Mexico about people he knew. True or not? Who knows?

1. A man in the area he came from had an old earthen wall on his property. Evidently he he found out there was supposedly treasure hidden in the wall. He went along the wall meticulously tapping the sides of it with a hammer....this went on for three days. The man suddenly disappeared leaving a wife and children behind. There was a large hole at the base of the wall where a cavity was and it was empty.

2. Another man was quarrying stones in dry wash and uncovered a cache of old rifles in a small cave higher up the banks of the wash.
That's the way to find Treasure ...No detector..... A lot find treasure that way.........

Tom_in_CA

Gold Member
Mar 23, 2007
Salinas, CA
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Explorer II, Compass 77b, Tesoro shadow X2

lakemonster, I have a notion that the stories you hear like that, are simply superstition.

Where I live, in central coast CA, has had ..... for many decades now ... heavy immigrant population from Mexico (d/t the crops grown here, and the labor/jobs it creates). As such, I too have heard endless stories over the past 35+ yrs. of this hobby, whenever I'm out in the field detecting, and a 1st generation Mexican approaches me. They spin fabulous tales of buried treasure back in their hometowns "if only someone had a metal detector to find them". And all have stories of treasures found, that they know "first hand", blah blah blah. They're simply convinced the treasures lie in every old house's walls, every cave, etc....

So finally, in about 1994, I accepted the invitation of some of my Mexican employees to make a trek with them down to Mexico, to look for some of the treasures they were convinced was there. We went way up in to the Sierra Madres, in the state of Durango, where adobe homes that were 300 yrs. old line the street! (old conquistador mining villages, an entire day's drive on dirt roads back in to the wilderness to reach).

Once we were there, I had them point out all the various ruins they had spoken of in the United States, that were suspected/known to have treasures there. But one by one, as we hunted them and found nothing but junk, the stories began to un-ravel. What had been "coins I saw with my own eyes found in the floor of this ruins", became "well, I heard if from my uncle Juan, who saw it first hand. So we go talk to "uncle Juan" and find that he too simply heard it from others, and so forth. And as it always turned out, it was always "someone who told someone who told someone, who told someone, etc....." And before you know it, it's just taken as absolute fact.

And if you dare question them (call it superstition) you risk offending their machismo, or they write you off as a gringo who doesn't have a detector that goes deep enough.

So I think that 99% of the stories you hear from Mexico, are just cultural supstition. Sorry about that.

We didn't find any caches, but we did find individual coins dating back to the 1840's. The trash down there is unbelievable! The small towns have no curbside trash service like we are accustomed to here in the USA. Instead people just bury their trash in their back-yards, or take it down to the nearest cliff or river, and just dump it. So no matter how remote of a site we treked to, we encountered reams of trash.

aa battery

Gold Member
Oct 11, 2006
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

Tom_in_CA said:
lakemonster, I have a notion that the stories you hear like that, are simply superstition.

Where I live, in central coast CA, has had ..... for many decades now ... heavy immigrant population from Mexico (d/t the crops grown here, and the labor/jobs it creates). As such, I too have heard endless stories over the past 35+ yrs. of this hobby, whenever I'm out in the field detecting, and a 1st generation Mexican approaches me. They spin fabulous tales of buried treasure back in their hometowns "if only someone had a metal detector to find them". And all have stories of treasures found, that they know "first hand", blah blah blah. They're simply convinced the treasures lie in every old house's walls, every cave, etc....

So finally, in about 1994, I accepted the invitation of some of my Mexican employees to make a trek with them down to Mexico, to look for some of the treasures they were convinced was there. We went way up in to the Sierra Madres, in the state of Durango, where adobe homes that were 300 yrs. old line the street! (old conquistador mining villages, an entire day's drive on dirt roads back in to the wilderness to reach).

Once we were there, I had them point out all the various ruins they had spoken of in the United States, that were suspected/known to have treasures there. But one by one, as we hunted them and found nothing but junk, the stories began to un-ravel. What had been "coins I saw with my own eyes found in the floor of this ruins", became "well, I heard if from my uncle Juan, who saw it first hand. So we go talk to "uncle Juan" and find that he too simply heard it from others, and so forth. And as it always turned out, it was always "someone who told someone who told someone, who told someone, etc....." And before you know it, it's just taken as absolute fact.

And if you dare question them (call it superstition) you risk offending their machismo, or they write you off as a gringo who doesn't have a detector that goes deep enough.

So I think that 99% of the stories you hear from Mexico, are just cultural supstition. Sorry about that.

We didn't find any caches, but we did find individual coins dating back to the 1840's. The trash down there is unbelievable! The small towns have no curbside trash service like we are accustomed to here in the USA. Instead people just bury their trash in their back-yards, or take it down to the nearest cliff or river, and just dump it. So no matter how remote of a site we treked to, we encountered reams of trash.
yur right i have heard hundreds of stories but only 1 wuz true

iCandy

Aug 19, 2011
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

Well Keppy, I've not been to Mexico, but go to Galveston about 2 times a year. I've never detected on the beaches there, Omg, but now that I've thought of it......I can't wait to go back...& this time will bring my detector. It's along the coastline where a bunch of houses got wiped out after Rita. When I was down there this summer....it was sad because people were claiming their territory where their house once stood by means of wooden signs they wrote there addresses on. Bless their hearts!! Do you think I'd find anything on the beaches? It's the closest to the ocean I've ever been.....dirty south!!

OP
OP
Keppy

Keppy

Gold Member
Nov 19, 2006
N.E. Ohio on lake Erie
Detector(s) used
** WHAT ONE I FEEL LIKE ON HUNTING DAY *****
Primary Interest:
Other

iCandy said:
Well Keppy, I've not been to Mexico, but go to Galveston about 2 times a year. I've never detected on the beaches there, Omg, but now that I've thought of it......I can't wait to go back...& this time will bring my detector. It's along the coastline where a bunch of houses got wiped out after Rita. When I was down there this summer....it was sad because people were claiming their territory where their house once stood by means of wooden signs they wrote there addresses on. Bless their hearts!! Do you think I'd find anything on the beaches? It's the closest to the ocean I've ever been.....dirty south!!
Well icandy there is a good possibility you might have some good finds.........At the beach if any of the well to do rich folks go to those beaches.................... But of course every one wears jewelry ....... So it should be good hunting..................

iCandy

Aug 19, 2011
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

@gleaner...thank you sweet bundles pumpkin cheeks...(Ohhh GAAA.....laughing so hard)....ROFLMAOOO

gleaner1

Silver Member
Feb 1, 2009
Gateway to the 1000 Islands
Detector(s) used
Sometime(s)
Primary Interest:
Other

iCandy said:
@gleaner...thank you sweet bundles pumpkin cheeks...(Ohhh GAAA.....laughing so hard)....ROFLMAOOO

My pleasure iCandy, but I dont know what the post was that made you RALFAOTF, I forgot. Now I cant decide if I want to call you Skippy, Sparky, Spanky, Sport, Sunshine, Shorty, Slick or Smoogles. I'm going with Skippy!! Now lets get Flipper AND Lassie and go get us some good finds. I'm going to dig out all my Mexican coins and post them soon. Real soon. Anything else I have found could surely be found in Mexico also. I have only been in the States for a couple years.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread