OK Stupid question.......

pulltab hatr

Jan 7, 2008
delaware,ohio
Detector(s) used
White's Eagle Spectrum
How do you know it's real Gold??? I went panning today to a river nearby here in Delaware,Ohio for my first time gold panning. Now Delaware is not known for Gold, but after panning a few spots in the river I moved a big rock out of the way and dug deep. After panning there are a couple real small specks in the pan that are bright. Also there was some black sand in all the material I panned.I know they say gold will shine in the light and shadows which is what these specks do but I just don't know if it's real gold. What does fools gold look like? Thanks

Upvote 0

Jeffro

Silver Member
Dec 6, 2005
Eugene, Oregon
Detector(s) used
Fisher CZ5, White's GM VSat
Fool's gold will sparkle or flash in the sunlight. Gold will have a glow all its own sunlight or shade. Fools gld is hard and brittle, it will break if you try and bend it, gold will bend. Fools gold will lay on top of the black sands in your pan, gold will settle underneath.

Hope this helps! :)

aarthrj3811

Gold Member
Apr 1, 2004
Northern Nevada
Detector(s) used
Dowsing Rods and a Ranger Tell Examiner
To check to see if it is gold use your thumb nail. Push it against the pan and if it breaks or smears it is fools gold. After a while you will be able to tell by the color.

OP
OP
pulltab hatr

pulltab hatr

Jan 7, 2008
delaware,ohio
Detector(s) used
White's Eagle Spectrum
Well it's hard to find it in the pan mixed with the sand.I can only find it in the shadow.If I am in direct light there are a lot of shining specks in the pan. But this one is really noticeable but too small to press against it with my nail.

Functional

Feb 16, 2007
Okanagan Valley, British Columbia, Canada
Detector(s) used
A Compass Magnum 420 recently brought back to life. And an untested "in the wild" Teknetics.
pulltab hatr said:
Well it's hard to find it in the pan mixed with the sand.I can only find it in the shadow.If I am in direct light there are a lot of shining specks in the pan. But this one is really noticeable but too small to press against it with my nail.

Get it on a hard surface and press on it using the side of the blade of a knife. If it crushes, its fools gold. If it flattens out, its likely gold, (very small gold though).

F.

AU Seeker

Bronze Member
Oct 14, 2007
South Carolina
Detector(s) used
E-Track, MXT, CZ6A
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Use a sewing needle and "stick it" if it breaks its is not gold, try doing the same to a piece of lead and you will see how it will do when you "stick" gold only gold is a little harder then lead.

Skip

EggyOG

Jan 18, 2007
I don't think you guys out west realize when he says small specks, he's talking flour gold in Ohio. The pin head is more than likely bigger than the gold! You will find the small specks of gold everywhere that the glaciers went, you can thank Ontario for it. If you can swirl your pan gently with a little water in it and move the black sand slowly to the other side without the yellow stuff going with it, it is Midwest gold from the glaciers. You do have a few gold prospecting clubs in Ohio that can help you with your prospecting adventures.

bigfish31

Jan 4, 2007
North of Sacramento,Ca.
Detector(s) used
dfx
Put a drop of mercury with it. If it get sucked up, it's gold, or silver, or copper, or...

Attachments

• mercury 022.jpg
    mercury 022.jpg
    41.1 KB · Views: 346
  • mercury 022.jpg
    mercury 022.jpg
    41.1 KB · Views: 327
OP
OP
pulltab hatr

pulltab hatr

Jan 7, 2008
delaware,ohio
Detector(s) used
White's Eagle Spectrum
Eggy you hit it on the nail...err or should I say needle. Now how would you tell between sand and gold. When I swirl the black sands there are a lot of shiny specks in the pan mixed with the blond sand. Can't tell if it is sand or gold.

russau

Gold Member
May 29, 2005
St. Louis, missouri
advising a newbee to use mercury isnt a good idea. untill they understand that this metal will kill them and the people/pets down wind from this. mercury will evaporate at room temp. if heated on a fire or hot plate outside it will burn off but it will condense back into small droplets and cover the ground down wind from you and then become a unsafe hazmat area that will still affect your children or pets that play in this area.be safe! plus "other" people read these forums and are looking for reasons to stop small scale mining. they pull this info from the net and use it to show the guberment what we are doing today! so maybe a word to the wise is in effect here.

EggyOG

Jan 18, 2007
Make sure you pan all the blond sand out before you attempt to swirl it. Once the blond sand is completely gone, get all your material into one spot in the corner of the pan. Hold the pan at an angle so that the pile is on the higher part of the pan, but don't have it tilted too much. You don't want a lot of water in the pan, just enough so that you can move the pan and cause the water to wash over the material gently. The black sand will slowly start to move down the pan with each pass of the water, leaving most of the gold behind. The gold really tries to stay put. It will look yellow, not 'gold'. If you panned it down properly the mica that was sparkling with the blond sand should all be gone. If any is in there, the water will move it around quite easily.

Shortstack

Silver Member
Jan 22, 2007
Detector(s) used
Tesoro Bandido II and DeLeon. also a Detector Pro Headhunter Diver, and a Garrett BFO called The Hunter & a Garrett Ace 250.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I believe you'd want to use a couple of drops of liquid dishwashing soap in each pan to break the surface tension so that flour gold will sink and not be riding the water's surface out of your pan.

OP
OP
pulltab hatr

pulltab hatr

Jan 7, 2008
delaware,ohio
Detector(s) used
White's Eagle Spectrum
Thanks to Eggy and everyone else for the great tips and for helping a newbie. I think I will steer clear of mercury. Don't want to end up on the News.LOL

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread