OK which whites?

scavenger

Oct 21, 2004
Ohio
Detector(s) used
Tesoro Compadre (Soon to be teknetics T2SE)
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
I plan on upgrading to a whites but I cannot decide between the MXT, XLT, and the DFX. I would like a prospecting mode, also a relic/coin combo mode would be very nice. The cheaper the better but I think like with anything else, you get what you pay for. I'll be hunting homesites and CW fields mostly with some park hunting for rings inbetween. what do you suggest?

Upvote 0

Jimmy(PA)

Jan 3, 2008
USA
Detector(s) used
Fisher F-75 and a Minelab Explorer XS with Gray Ghost Originals
scavenger said:
I plan on upgrading to a whites but I cannot decide between the MXT, XLT, and the DFX. I would like a prospecting mode, also a relic/coin combo mode would be very nice. The cheaper the better but I think like with anything else, you get what you pay for. I'll be hunting homesites and CW fields mostly with some park hunting for rings inbetween. what do you suggest?

I would go for the DFX. Minds well get it if you can afford it. The XLT and DFX are fun machines to use with great target ID. Detecting is like everything else in life, when you start off with a lower end model your always wishing you had the next best thing so in my experience i'd rather just buy the best they have, its easier to downgrade then it is to upgrade. ;D On the other hand the MXT is a great machine from what I hear I just tend to like the XLT/DFX display and options more.

gametalman52

Jul 27, 2007
Northeast Georgia
Detector(s) used
DFX,XLT, Goldbug
I have to agree with Jimmy. If you can afford it you will probably regret or wonder, what if I had bought it instead. Metal detecting is a lot cheaper than alot of other hobbies. The DFX definitely has a learning curve to it, but I don't leave home without it. You might listen to some of the
Minelab people on their higher end machines before you buy.

treasuredog

Oct 21, 2004
Leetonia Ohio
Detector(s) used
minelab xterra 70,whites xlt,minelab quattro
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I also would say dfx,even though I own a xlt. Read a lot of good things about them. Get on losttreasure.com and you can checkout the different fields tests. Also Kellyco is on there and the whites website. Do your research on each one and you decide. Good Luck and Happy hunting!

Digger

Mar 24, 2003
Dodge City Kansas
Detector(s) used
XP Deus, E-Trac, Makro Racer 2, DFX
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
If you plan to do mostly CW relic hunting then the MXT would probably be the better choice. I believe the MXT is a little hotter but less adjustable than the DFX. For those who are not intimidated by a fully adjustable detector, the DFX can't be beat.

jopher

Bronze Member
Jul 20, 2003
Mid Michigan
Detector(s) used
IDX Classic SL-x2....Excalibur1000
As stated earlier...if you start with anything less than the top of the line, it will leave you wanting and wondering....Been there..done that.
I started with a Classic....added an MXT....borrowed an XLT....bought a DFX...put in a fair amount of time with each....and .....went back to the Classic with display. I can run it at full bore without interference, giving me good depth and only the info I want....nothing more.

lucky6

Jun 11, 2008
Maryland
Detector(s) used
Whites Dfx Spectrum
I've used the XLT and the DFX. Both are excellent pieces of equipment and I have uncovered many fine objects with both. I've also read excellent testimonials on the MXT as well. If price is and issue I would go with the least expensive of the group. Go online to discover optimum settings for whatever equipment you purchase. Good Luck!

Iskuli

Jun 17, 2006
Texas
Detector(s) used
Whites-DSL
I have a problem with upgrading. I have a white's classic proscan. It's maybe 200.00 on ebay. I have found 93 rings this year & coins....see my stats below. I was just telling my dad I should probably upgrade but I am still finding so many goodies, I can't get myself to shell out the bucks. Sigh.....I'll probably upgrade when I feel like the equipment is holding me back from meeting my gold goals. I say, a lot of success with MD'ing is research, knowing your machine whichever one you use, and work ethic.

Keppy

Gold Member
Nov 19, 2006
N.E. Ohio on lake Erie
Detector(s) used
** WHAT ONE I FEEL LIKE ON HUNTING DAY *****
Primary Interest:
Other
If you want prospecting you want the ..MXT..for the ..DFX & XLT have prospecting modes but they are about worthless............. if you want a prospecting mode a good one it would have to be the MXT

Digger

Mar 24, 2003
Dodge City Kansas
Detector(s) used
XP Deus, E-Trac, Makro Racer 2, DFX
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I'll probably upgrade when I feel like the equipment is holding me back from meeting my gold goals.

Unless you're lucky enough to have an ever resupplying site, you're going to need to update eventually.

For many many years I used a fairly older model detector and did pretty good on my favorite site, but it slowly dried up. It took a new detector to start the site producing again, and taught me a valuable lesson.

Iskuli

Jun 17, 2006
Texas
Detector(s) used
Whites-DSL
Yep! That's exactly what my dad told me. Soon the finds won't be as plentiful and I will WANT to upgrade. Until then I am kicking butt on my White's proscan!

twistidd

Bronze Member
Nov 11, 2007
Chicago
Detector(s) used
White's Matrix M6 w/ Sun-Ray DX-1, 950 coil and 6x10 DD, Minelab Excalibur II, Garrett Ace 250, Garmin Etrex GPS
Don't forget about the M6! Just as deep as any other high-end White's, but with less bells and whistles. Tells me all I want to, and need to, know. 7 tones. I would never give mine up!

Joe

whiteknight38

Jun 15, 2007
A rep at Whites told me that he'd go for the MXT over the XLT for virtually everything. He also liked the MXT because he was "old school" and prefered the simple(r) by his way of thinking, knobs and switches on the MXT, as opposed to the more digital, and menu based DFX.
If you're comfortable navigating menu screens, however, this may not apply to you and that would be advantage - DFX, with its extra programs.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread