OK which whites?

scavenger

Oct 21, 2004
Ohio
Detector(s) used
Tesoro Compadre (Soon to be teknetics T2SE)
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
I plan on upgrading to a whites but I cannot decide between the MXT, XLT, and the DFX. I would like a prospecting mode, also a relic/coin combo mode would be very nice. The cheaper the better but I think like with anything else, you get what you pay for. I'll be hunting homesites and CW fields mostly with some park hunting for rings inbetween. what do you suggest?

Upvote 0

George (MN)

May 16, 2005
White's has a new detector Prism 6T, might also be one to consider. Only 3 lbs, has auto ground tracking & backlight. They will have a couple more coils for it sooner or later (sometime in 2009 I think).

The M6 can be very impressive with a 12.5" Jimmy Sierra Hot Shot coil, or maybe the 12" White's coil, if maximum depth is the primary concern. The small coils are for extreme trash.

I used a M6 with Jimmy Sierra Hot shot coil & got coins on edge & tiny gold jewelry from a cleaned out area, & this combo is a favorite with many relic hunters. HH, George (MN)

whiteknight38

Jun 15, 2007
One more thing I just learned about the XLT which may or may not influence your decision.
Don't get me wrong, the XLT is a fine machine, and a proven performer, but a dealer just told me that he's getting reports form some customers that some people have been getting interference while detecting in parks from cell phones. The reports are sort of a "ticking"
Cell phones operate in the 6.5 to 9 khz range, and the XLT operates at a fixed 6.59. The DFX words in two settings, 3 khz and if I recall correctly, 15 khz, and the XLT somewhere in the 15 khz range.
I don't know if this is, or isn't a problem for the XLT and other detectors that operate in the cell phone frequency range, when they're around lots of them all going at once, I'm just relaying something I've heard.

whiteknight38

Jun 15, 2007
In case that wasn't clear, I meant parks, as in public parks, or anywhere people congregate in large numbers where there is likely to be an inordinate amount ot of cell phone usage.
Looks like the M6 is in the 15 KHZ range.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread