Ok you Beach NUTS: Your yhoughts on a Travel Scoop

looknforgold

Apr 30, 2011
Somewhere in the US of A
Detector(s) used
Minelab Etrac, Minelab Excal 1000, Minelab Equinox 800, Anderson Shafts, Garrett Pro Pointer, SEF Coils and CoinTOTE, AND........
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Ok you Beach NUTS: Your thoughts on a Travel Scoop

I have the RTG 5' travel scoop (not enough bite) and the 6in' scoop (holes are way too large)... but, here is the question. I have seen scoops on youtube videos where some guys like gravediggermax and others use. these scoops are wider, and the holes are a lot smaller than the ones I have. I'm wanting to buy one of those scoops, but.... the problem I'm facing is the handle. how can a person make one or where can he buy one that he can put in a suit case than can break down or telescope down.

A heavy duty Shovel handle wont work, I need an handle than can still support that scoop.. will a light weight handle do the trick, Thought's?

I'll be using this Scoop in Mexico

Thank You, Dirt Diga..aka looknforgold

Upvote 0

CASPER-2

Gold Member
Jan 3, 2012
NEW ENGLAND
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
WHITE'S XLT, PI PRO, GARRETT 2500, 3- FISHER CZ21s, JW FISHER 8X
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
RTG PRO ALUMINUM 6" TRAVEL WATER SCOOP
what I been using to travel with for 13 yrs now
never have a prob...4 times in mex. with it - when you get an area in Mex with hard bottom - no matter what scoop you use - your gonna have to drop and fan - but its great in the soft sand

OP
OP
looknforgold

looknforgold

Apr 30, 2011
Somewhere in the US of A
Detector(s) used
Minelab Etrac, Minelab Excal 1000, Minelab Equinox 800, Anderson Shafts, Garrett Pro Pointer, SEF Coils and CoinTOTE, AND........
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
RTG PRO ALUMINUM 6" TRAVEL WATER SCOOP
what I been using to travel with for 13 yrs now
never have a prob...4 times in mex. with it - when you get an area in Mex with hard bottom - no matter what scoop you use - your gonna have to drop and fan - but its great in the soft sand
Casper, that's the 6in travel scoop I have, along with the 5. I took the 5 with me last month... I'm concerned about the hole sizes in that 6, their pretty big.

Thanks for the quick reply :)

CASPER-2

Gold Member
Jan 3, 2012
NEW ENGLAND
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
WHITE'S XLT, PI PRO, GARRETT 2500, 3- FISHER CZ21s, JW FISHER 8X
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
but if youre wearing a mask and snorkel - if a small item like an earring falls thru - you easily be able to see in clear Mex. waters - easy to drop and fan or just look down
-you start going with holes that are too small - you will have more shells - more rocks - more coral to deal with - so more in your scoop - holes in rtg are smaller than a dime - so unless you get some smaller foreign coins - don't know why you want smaller holes - very few rings are going to be smaller and slip thru
stud earrings would be only thing you would be worrying about - ask anyone Ive hunted with - Whydah for one - Im one of the fastest guys in the recovery dept. using that scoop and wearing a mask

OP
OP
looknforgold

looknforgold

Apr 30, 2011
Somewhere in the US of A
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
but if youre wearing a mask and snorkel - if a small item like an earring falls thru - you easily be able to see in clear Mex. waters - easy to drop and fan or just look down
-you start going with holes that are too small - you will have more shells - more rocks - more coral to deal with - so more in your scoop - holes in rtg are smaller than a dime - so unless you get some smaller foreign coins - don't know why you want smaller holes - very few rings are going to be smaller and slip thru
stud earrings would be only thing you would be worrying about - ask anyone Ive hunted with - Whydah for one - Im one of the fastest guys in the recovery dept. using that scoop and wearing a mask
Your right... no need in improving an already nice setup which is pretty much what I've been doing as well, Thanks

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread