Gold Member
Jan 26, 2005
Sand Springs, OK
Detector(s) used
ACE 250, Garrett
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Re: OKIE's

You can't put Washita in a post because the censor software recognizes the word shit in it. Therefore you will have to write it as Wa$hita. I was trying to post about a female cat and what came out didn't make sense because of the "P" word. But if you are imaginative you can beat the censor software by subsituting a few symbold for letters. M ::) nty

Timberwolf

Silver Member
Sep 12, 2005
Detector(s) used
Eagle II SL90/Eagle Spectrum/TF-900

N.Central, Ponca City

I like coin hunting old yards and schools. Plowed fields are my favorites. I have hunted the 101 Ranch once (I had permission). The only coin I found was a Barber dime. Thought I would show it.

Thanks, Tom

Attachments

• MVC-001F.JPG
    MVC-001F.JPG
    55.3 KB · Views: 1,984
  • MVC-002F.JPG
    MVC-002F.JPG
    59.8 KB · Views: 1,967

sharpshooter

May 3, 2007
Central Oklahoma
Detector(s) used
Minelab E-Trac
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting

Timberwolf said:
Plowed fields are my favorites.

Hi Timberwolf,

A fellow THer on another forum I belong to also hunts plowed fields with some success. Would you mind sharing with us some of your finds from your plowed field hunts? What led you to believe there would be anything in a plowed field? It never occurred to me to hunt such a place.

Nice Barber dime. I've only found one Barber dime in 10 years of detecting. Finding yours at the 101 Ranch makes it even more special.

Thanks

Timberwolf

Silver Member
Sep 12, 2005
Detector(s) used

sharpshooter said:
Timberwolf said:
Plowed fields are my favorites.

Hi Timberwolf,

A fellow THer on another forum I belong to also hunts plowed fields with some success. Would you mind sharing with us some of your finds from your plowed field hunts? What led you to believe there would be anything in a plowed field? It never occurred to me to hunt such a place.

Thanks

Sharpshooter,

First of all, let my apologize for not responding sooner. I had not looked at this thread since my post.

I don't pick a place to hunt just because it is a plowed field. Sometimes it just turns out that way. I will enclose a pic of the 3 watch fobs that I have found. The one on the left (Indian in a canoe) was found in a non-plowed field (Three Sands). The other two were found in a plowed field that was adjacent to a very old park.

Many places here in north central Oklahoma, that used to be thriving cities back in the early 1900's, are now wheat fields. If you can get permission to hunt these areas after the farmers have harvested their crops and plowed their fields, you can sometimes find some nice old coins & relics.

Research your area. Find out where the old towns, schools and churchs used to be.
Talk to the older folks. They may remember where picnics use to be held.
A good friend of mine found his first gold coin in one of these picnic groves.
He drove me out to the where he found his coin. It just looked like an ordinary wooded area along side the rode. I never would have guessed that this would be a good spot to metal detect.

Tom

Attachments

• 3fobs.jpg
    3fobs.jpg
    49.6 KB · Views: 1,896

stoney56

Gold Member
Oct 4, 2004
Oklahoma

Like Timberwolf said, researching helps. If you'll find an old map of Okla., you'll see little squares with flags set up near sect. lines. These are schools that the state set up every few miles apart. They didn't necessarily puta school on each sect. They built the schools with whatever was on hand at the time, sod was plentiful and easy to work with or near timber where lumber was used.
As schools were consolidated, the structures were either torn down, moved, or became residences. The land is still considered state school land but it's leased and farmed like other land.
The same pertains to farm houses. Each 160 acre section claimed had to have improvements made ("proved" or "claimed up"). This means there was a potential farm residence on each 160 acres or 4 per square mi.
You can look for sparkling of broken glass or pottery in the sun after a field has been plowed, trees not indigenous to the area (small line of cedar trees for instance-used as windbreaks, usually on the north side of a house).

warsawdaddy

Gold Member
Nov 23, 2004
Edwards,Missouri
Detector(s) used
MXT - DeLeon - Gamma 6000

This was posted on another forum and not having a gps,I have no idea where this is at.Just thought some of you okies might look into it if it's viable.

This is the area just West of where I grew up in Eastern Oklahoma................

first site is where a American Indian village once stood...............the owner used to plow the field

every year and we would go there and find arrow heads, spear head, axes, and occasionally a

skull..........it's next to the creek and at the highest point there, a small rise...........don't know

who the owner is now: 35°09'12.77"N, 95°07'34.03"W

here is where the first Governor of the Choctaw Nation had his house, been restored and the town of

San Boise was immediately to the East of the house. It's been 30 years since I beeped the area and

only covered a small area, found some good coins, the house where the road turns North is where the

owner used to dig Indian Head pennies and dimes from the 1800's in his garden just behind his house..

both times I asked for permission to beep his garden the answer was NO..........

just think about the advancements made in metal detectors since I was there............

35°07'45.67"N, 95°09'29.79"W.........now is the perfect time of year to beep there.............not

many weeds or "chiggers" yet.

mike_at_sea

May 8, 2007

I am new to this site and found it while researching our trip to Vero Beach in Florida soon.

We live in Fairland in the north east part of the state. My son got a basic MD from my parents for Christmas and we finally had it out in the woods behind the house looking around what I thought was an old road. We found a couple of dozen metal bands about 3-4 feet long and 1 inch wide. I knew they could not be part of a wagon wheel. I was puzzled until our neighbor explained there used to be a still in those woods many years ago and these were left over barrel hoops from the operation. We have not had time to do any more looking but close by are several small depressions and mounds where it looks like dirt was scooped up and piled on top of something. One of these days I would like to check into these and see if there really is anything under the piles. Does anyone have any idea what they can be? There is no signs that this is a burial area of any type or I would just stay away. I am more inclined to think that they were garbage dump areas. If I ever figure it out I will post some pictures of them.
Mike

Bertman

Apr 13, 2007
Tulsa, OK
Detector(s) used
Fisher F75 SE, Minelab E-Trac

North Eastern Tulsa... I dig any metal that happens to wander under the coil of my Fisher CZ-7...

HH Robert

L

Lu Y. Hale

I live in Lawton in SW section of state. Like Monty I mostly coinshoot and love the beaches. I am not really into the relic aspect, though it does break the monotony of schoolyards. But then again so do the pieces of jewelry. I use both 1280X and a 1212X. Love the Aquanaut for fresh water lake detecting. And with the 1212 I sure do end up having to dig most targets. No real bells and whistles on that chief. I am currently working on increasing my pulltab collection :P in a sad attempt to rake in more gold and nickels.

willisjj

Nov 2, 2005
Owasso, Oklahoma
Detector(s) used
Current: Minelab Equinox 800, Tesoro Cibola

Past: Sovereign GT, Garrett Treasure Ace 250, Tesoro Compadre, Etrac, Sovereign XS, Whites 6000D, Garrett Master Hunter BFO

I am now located in Pryor, OK. I have a Sovereign XS, and an old Garrett BFO master hunter (my first detector, kept for sentimental reasons!). I am just getting back into this after a couple of years. 10 years military, and a couple of years with the OK Dept. of Corrections, finally I am going to have more time to do some detecting. I mostly coinshoot, although I am really interested in doing some cache hunting and researching some treasure leads. Anyway, if anybody is in the area send me a pm if you wanna go hunt. I am always up for it.

Timberwolf

Silver Member
Sep 12, 2005
Detector(s) used

Willis,

Glad to have another Okie.
I may have some treasure leads for your area.
Just click on my "Website" button and scroll-down to the "Treasure Hunters" section. Then click on the "South West" link. After it opens, scroll down untill you see "OKSouthwest". Now look for a lead in your county or area.

Timberwolf

willisjj

Nov 2, 2005
Owasso, Oklahoma
Detector(s) used
Current: Minelab Equinox 800, Tesoro Cibola

Past: Sovereign GT, Garrett Treasure Ace 250, Tesoro Compadre, Etrac, Sovereign XS, Whites 6000D, Garrett Master Hunter BFO

Thanks Timberwolf. I appreciate it and surprised that you have 4 mayes county leads! I don't come across a whole lot of leads in Mayes County, although I know I just need to research more. Appreciate the help!

Timberwolf

Silver Member
Sep 12, 2005
Detector(s) used

Willis,

No problem, happy to help.

TW

borninok

Bronze Member
Mar 29, 2007
Kerrville, TX
Detector(s) used
White's DFX: Minelab Excalibur 1000

Timberwolf,

Shows you how observant I am....ha/ha....I never noticed your website thing until you mentioned it....well, I know who's going to beat me at CTH...ha/ha
--Mel

Timberwolf

Silver Member
Sep 12, 2005
Detector(s) used

Mel,

I don't think my treasure leads are going to be of any help in the CTH.
Besides, I'm getting older & fatter as time goes by. Probably won't be able to get up too well, once I get down to dig a target ;D

I'm sure I won't be out hunting you...but that gold coin sure looks good!!!

TW

slingchine

Sep 22, 2006
Logan County Oklahoma
Detector(s) used
4 Garretts, a Bounty Hunter, and a hickory twig

Edmond/Guthrie here. Shore alot of nice folks on this here Tnet forum. Didn't know there was so many likeminded folks so near, Howdy!! Enjoy meetin some of ya. Reckon I love old homesteads the best. actually received permission to hunt my Great grandfathers old homestead a few years ago out near Gracemont. still havent even scratched the surface on that one. researching an old place out by Arcadia now. Love anything old....even my dog. four Garretts and a Bounty Hunter. Started hunting about forty years ago with an old Fisher "M" Scope box unit out in New Mexico....jeeeez...wish I had that one now! I could probably retire.....Awright then.....umm..hmm

Timberwolf

Silver Member
Sep 12, 2005
Detector(s) used

slingchine said:
Edmond/Guthrie here. Shore alot of nice folks on this here Tnet forum. Didn't know there was so many likeminded folks so near, Howdy!! Enjoy meetin some of ya. Reckon I love old homesteads the best. actually received permission to hunt my Great grandfathers old homestead a few years ago out near Gracemont. still havent even scratched the surface on that one. researching an old place out by Arcadia now. Love anything old....even my dog. four Garretts and a Bounty Hunter. Started hunting about forty years ago with an old Fisher "M" Scope box unit out in New Mexico....jeeeez...wish I had that one now! I could probably retire.....Awright then.....umm..hmm

Slingchine,

I denote a hint of "Slingblade" going on here :)
One of my favorite movies.

Yep, the people here are pretty nice. You can learn alot, make new friends, and keep on hunting ;D

I'm in Kay County...not too fer from ya :D

TW

stoney56

Gold Member
Oct 4, 2004
Oklahoma

Welcome slingchine! I was down in your neck of the woods checking out a ghost town to the NW of you near Marshal. They had a chunk of it all fenced with posts of barbed wire leaned out like a POW camp and the weeds were almost as tall as the trees. The owner I presume lived across the road and was gone.
Good luck on your research and HH!

tjcnok

Sep 29, 2007

Just registered here this morning. Don't even own a metal detector, but am interested in buying one and learning to use it properly. Leaning towards a Garrett Ace 250 From Kellycodetectors.com at this time because of all the extra stuff that comes with it and the price looks close to what I could afford to pay. All research so far looks like this detector is about right for a rank beginner with zero experiance that will have to climb the learning curve alone. I would like to see one in a store before purchase and don't have a clue where a Garrett dealer is in Tulsa.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread