Old 1700s fireplace mantle/coverings. Please respond! need help!

HugeSeng

Sep 15, 2012
southwest va
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Hello guys. John again. Recently my grandfather tore out some Old iron fireplace coverings with some realy interesting symbols/makers mark on the corners which makes me believe it should be quite easy to identify! Will someone kindly help me out here? Id realy appreciate it! Theres a few of these still with the grate on them. I date them from the 1700s because this home was built in the late 1700s and the person claims they have always been there. as seen in some pictures of family ect. They are really awesome. Any info would help thanks! :D fireplace whole view (640x361).jpg fireplace closeup (640x361).jpg

Upvote 0

Argentium

Gold Member
Feb 2, 2008
Santa Fe, New Mexico
Detector(s) used
Whites, MXT.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I must respectfully disagree with your estimate of a 1700's date on the pieces pictured - I would suggest a date closer to 1860's - 80's
I am no expert , but the casting and molding evident in them is suggestive of a later date of manufacture . Argentium.

NOLA_Ken

Gold Member
Jan 4, 2011
Formerly New Orleans.. Now Pueblo Co
Detector(s) used
several, mostly Garrett
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I tend to agree with Argentium on the dating being more into the 1800's, I've pulled a lot of those out of houses down here that I know are mid to late 1800's construction. Do they have any foundry marks on the back? Sometimes we find them marked with the company name which is the best way to track down a date.

curbdiggercarl57

Silver Member
Nov 19, 2007
Largo, Florida
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Whites Silver Eagle, DFX, Shadow X-2
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I must respectfully disagree with your estimate of a 1700's date on the pieces pictured - I would suggest a date closer to 1860's - 80's
I am no expert , but the casting and molding evident in them is suggestive of a later date of manufacture . Argentium.

Yep, not too many photographs from the 1700's exist.
Not knocking the find at all, still one cool item, and worth restoring.
Carl

NOLA_Ken

Gold Member
Jan 4, 2011
Formerly New Orleans.. Now Pueblo Co
Detector(s) used
several, mostly Garrett
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
What you have to keep in mind with things like this is that pretty much every house from the 1700's has been remodeled or added onto over time. So most likely these were installed during a remodeling at some point. Don't let that get you down though, they still bring a nice sum from people looking to restore their old homes. The only problem is that you might be sitting on them quite a while to find a buyer unless you sell them to an architectural salvage company which is what I did with all of them I pulled out down here.

Here's a link to check out : Victorian Fireplace Shop - Product Details

MrSchulz

Bronze Member
Mar 29, 2012
DeWitt, Iowa
Detector(s) used
Ace 250, Bounty Hunter Tracker IV, Custom Recovery tools, Nupla Prb4t Soil Probe 60 IN,
Primary Interest:
Other
That is a great piece however I do agree that it is not 1700's. I personally would say not any older than the 1840's but I am by far not an expert on this degree of antiques.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread