CMDiamonddawg

Silver Member
Oct 14, 2009
Jersey Cape
Detector(s) used
Fisher 1265X & CZ-7
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Hi T Net Checked out an old field near the town nearby that was Est. in the 1760's . Two cans of bug spray , an old Fisher CZ , 5 gatorades , and 5 hour random search yielded some exciting finds. First picture ... Hit this picture frame right out of the gate . It is brass and I found all 4 corners intact in the field :icon_scratch: the picture was long gone of course , but it cleaned up great and it is in amazing condition . 8) Iron square nails led to an iron hook or pot swivel . Shards of china and pottery , oyster shells , brick and stone ... tell tale signs of habitation. Seems like there was more in the field then crops . Found some musketballs , one inch iron ball , some buckles and another fancy rosette . A neighbor of the owner showed up and told me there were apple orchards in the field many years ago . The stone could be native american , I am not sure put it seems too out of place and different than most of the rocks here . Lots of iron ore . Best finds were a 1787 Vermont colonial " Vermon Auctori " Inde Et Lib on reverse , 1787 KG III Hibernia " always a :o to get one , a superfine backmark flat button , a tombac pewter button , ornate brass picture frame and an old gold ring :icon_pirat: . Feels good to finally get back out in the fields :icon_sunny: Thanks for stopping in dawg Have you found a Vermont copper ??? , I would like to get a quick count from T Net finders of Vermont colonial coppers. Curious to see how many :wink: Thanks

Attachments

• july 014.JPG
    july 014.JPG
    95.2 KB · Views: 1,996
  • cmd hunt 023.JPG
    cmd hunt 023.JPG
    78.4 KB · Views: 1,955
  • cmd hunt 018.JPG
    cmd hunt 018.JPG
    69.5 KB · Views: 1,962
  • cmd hunt 009.JPG
    cmd hunt 009.JPG
    69.1 KB · Views: 1,974
  • cmd hunt 005.JPG
    cmd hunt 005.JPG
    81.7 KB · Views: 1,966
  • cmd hunt 008.JPG
    cmd hunt 008.JPG
    86.3 KB · Views: 1,983
  • cmd hunt 003.JPG
    cmd hunt 003.JPG
    80.9 KB · Views: 1,983
  • cmd hunt 002.JPG
    cmd hunt 002.JPG
    79.8 KB · Views: 1,999
  • cmd hunt 020.JPG
    cmd hunt 020.JPG
    113.1 KB · Views: 1,942
  • cmd hunt 021.JPG
    cmd hunt 021.JPG
    81.2 KB · Views: 1,945
  • cmd hunt 028.JPG
    cmd hunt 028.JPG
    102.7 KB · Views: 1,935
  • cmd hunt 027.JPG
    cmd hunt 027.JPG
    76.4 KB · Views: 1,954
Upvote 4

N.J.THer

Silver Member
Nov 16, 2006
Middlesex County, New Jersey
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Whites DFX w/ Sunray DX-1 probe and Minelab Excalibur 1000, Whites TRX Pinpointer
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting

TomPA

Feb 13, 2011
Western PA.
Detector(s) used
F75
AT Pro Gold
Infinium
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
Re: Old Apple Orchard Hunt yields 1787 coppers

Are you sure that the iron ball is iron? It doesn't have the rusty look of the iron nails or the other iron L shaped object. Could it be brass? I found a brass one at a site from the same era.

TommNJ

Bronze Member
Nov 3, 2008
NW NJ
Detector(s) used
White's IDX Pro, Garrett AT Pro

Congrats on the Awesome finds CMDawg, some interesting finds as usual :icon_thumright: . Nice Coppers ! It looks like the ground took good care of them for you and sounds like a great place to hunt too.

TommNJ

Don in SJ

Silver Member
May 20, 2005
Detector(s) used
MINELAB SE Pro
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

Congrats on getting a bunch of finds in the middle of summer, which is my hibernation time from hunting. :D Nice to see a Vermont Copper being found, those are far and few inbetween for sure. My son and I have not found one in over a decade, and three of the four we found were found at one old site, so congrats on getting this one. If you could muster some straight on photos of both sides, might be able to narrow down the variety, the most common one found seems to be the variety Ryder 16, but rare ones are out there. I agree with IronPatch the the Hibernia is most likely 1781, that was a big production year, especially counterfeit ones.

Don

rjs123

Dec 14, 2009
Richmond VA
Detector(s) used
Equinox 800, Deep Tech Vista Gold
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

Nice finds!!! What does the front of the ring look like?

Tykit

Jan 20, 2007
Middlesex, New Jersey
Detector(s) used
Tesoro, Fisher

Absolutely fantastic finds. I'm looking for old orchards here in central Jersey, so far any I found now have housing developments there. Great post and excellent pictures. :notworthy:

Sniffy

Bronze Member
Mar 27, 2009
Connecticut
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Prizm III Teknetics T2
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

vEry nice! :notworthy:

HISPAN

Gold Member
Mar 15, 2009
Detector(s) used
WHITES MXT ,GARRET ACE150,GARRET SEA HUNT MARK II.
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting

nice hibernia coin and more finds.... congrats! :thumbsup:
H

HighTone

Jun 30, 2011
Monroe County Ohio
Detector(s) used
Etrac ~ Tesoro Vaquero ~ Pro Pointer
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

WOW Great lookin stuff..Congrats

collector01

Bronze Member
Mar 7, 2008
snow hill, MD
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Fisher F70
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

Looks like you had a great hunt. Congrats on all the great finds. Its always nice to dig a nice variety like that. I would hit that site again.

jewelerguy

Gold Member
Jun 28, 2011
Oklahoma
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
White's XLT
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

great finds :thumbsup:

kdismuke1

Silver Member
Jun 14, 2007
georgia
Detector(s) used
garrett 1500-ace 250-garrett ads groudhog deepseeker

great finds. kept going back. :hello2:

Mr Tuff

Silver Member
Dec 4, 2008
ILL
Detector(s) used
Minelab Safari, Garrett pro pointer, bounty hunter 202 with a 10in magnum coil, Automax pinpointer,
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

sweet bunch of finds!!! :o MR TUFF

Coilcrazy2

Nov 9, 2010
Reading, pa
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Teknetics T2, gray ghost headphones,
Fisher 1265x,
Whites Eagle Spectrum
Tesoro cibola,
Tesoro Outlaw

Very nice finds!!!...
I also went to an apple orchard field the other day where I saw lots of old pottery shards, glass, and oyster shells and I just couldn't seem to find anything metal with any age to it...very puzzling. Any advice would be appreciated. :)

OP
OP
CMDiamonddawg

CMDiamonddawg

Silver Member
Oct 14, 2009
Jersey Cape
Detector(s) used
Fisher 1265X & CZ-7
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

:wink: Thanks for all the great replies guys :notworthy: sorta burnt out from working in the heat but I will get caught up to some of your comments . Thanks to all dawg
TomPA said:
Are you sure that the iron ball is iron? It doesn't have the rusty look of the iron nails or the other iron L shaped object. Could it be brass? I found a brass one at a site from the same era.
Now that ya mention it , I think it is brass :icon_scratch: scale weight possibly :thumbsup: Thanks Tom stay cool it's freakin' scorchin hot :icon_sunny:
Don in SJ said:
Congrats on getting a bunch of finds in the middle of summer, which is my hibernation time from hunting. :D Nice to see a Vermont Copper being found, those are far and few inbetween for sure. My son and I have not found one in over a decade, and three of the four we found were found at one old site, so congrats on getting this one. If you could muster some straight on photos of both sides, might be able to narrow down the variety, the most common one found seems to be the variety Ryder 16, but rare ones are out there. I agree with IronPatch the the Hibernia is most likely 1781, that was a big production year, especially counterfeit ones.

Don
Thanks Don , a dozen in a 24 hour poll , not bad more than what I thought , yes 1781 ,Thanks IP Vermont Colonial coins are a hard find :icon_sunny: CMD dawg
Tykit said:
Absolutely fantastic finds. I'm looking for old orchards here in central Jersey, so far any I found now have housing developments there. Great post and excellent pictures. :notworthy:
Pinelands Preservation kept a restriction of development , so there are a few fields left in SJ Thanks and keep searcin anywhere you can up in Central NJ a lot of history in your area , as you well know Thanks Tykit 8) 8)
Mr Tuff said:
sweet bunch of finds!!! :o MR TUFF
Thanks Mr Tuff 8)
TommNJ said:
Congrats on the Awesome finds CMDawg, some interesting finds as usual :icon_thumright: . Nice Coppers ! It looks like the ground took good care of them for you and sounds like a great place to hunt too.

TommNJ
Thanks Tommj .. no fertilizers in a sandy soil . Did not expect to find much but when I get going I won't leave without getting something , even junk :)

johnnyblaze

Silver Member
Dec 20, 2010
Rhode Island
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
T2 SPECIAL EDITION
Primary Interest:
Other

Nice coins and relics :hello2:

I live on a 40 acre colonial era apple farm and have pulled some killer finds here also :thumbsup:

Blaze...

OP
OP
CMDiamonddawg

CMDiamonddawg

Silver Member
Oct 14, 2009
Jersey Cape
Detector(s) used
Fisher 1265X & CZ-7
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

johnnyblaze said:
Nice coins and relics :hello2:

I live on a 40 acre colonial era apple farm and have pulled som e kileer finds here also :thumbsup:

Blaze...
Thanks jb ... this one was an unexpected , went on a recon search that worked out very well . Just goes to show if you have a good feeling about an area , go for it . 40 acres should provide years of Great finds :occasion14: have a cold one
Sniffy said:
vEry nice! :notworthy:
Thanks , Sniffy 8)
rjs123 said:
Nice finds!!! Thanks :thumbsup:

ANTIQUARIAN

Gold Member
Apr 24, 2010
Upper Canada 🇨🇦
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
XP Deus, Lesche Piranha 35 Shovel & 'Garrett Carrot'
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting

You've got one very nice spot there CMD! :o

I love that old picture frame! :o
I'm thinking it might have originally been set into the border of a larger wooden frame?:icon_scratch:
Any thoughts on getting it restored? ???

That gold ring is a real beauty! :notworthy:

Dave

PS. The frame also might have been constructed much like this . . .
except the one you found looks much larger. :icon_scratch:

Attachments

• 18th Century Frame.jpg
    18th Century Frame.jpg
    18.4 KB · Views: 904

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread